Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

'Christian nationalists believe rights come from God'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post

So beside the Christian God, what other god could it be?
    Your guess is as good as mine.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

No need to guess, it was the Christian God...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Don't be a dope, divine providence:

And what don't you get - there were five men who wrote the DOI, to three of them the God in question would have been the Christian God, not a removed deistic god.

In 1823, he wrote to John Adams referring to “the God whom you and I acknowledge and adore” while denouncing atheism.

Do Christians rape and forcibly impregnate 16 year old girls?

Hemings arrived back in Virginia and slavery at the age of 16. According to Madison Hemings, she was pregnant with Jefferson's child.

“Concubine”

In Sally Hemings’s lifetime, the word “concubine” defined a woman who had sexual contact with a man to whom she was not married. A concubine had no legal or social standing, and her offspring could not inherit from their father. Madison Hemings used the word to describe the long-standing sexual encounters between his mother and father, as well as those of his grandmother, Elizabeth Hemings, and his grandfather, John Wayles. Israel Gillette also called Sally Hemings a “concubine” in his recollections of life at Monticello. In an incendiary 1802 article, political journalist James Callender also described Sally Hemings as Jefferson’s “concubine.”

“I also know that his servant, Sally Hemmings, (mother to my old friend and former companion at Monticello, Madison Hemmings,) was employed as his chamber-maid, and that Mr. Jefferson was on the most intimate terms with her; that, in fact, she was his concubine.”

https://www.monticello.org/sallyhemings/

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

In 1823, he wrote to John Adams referring to “the God whom you and I acknowledge and adore” while denouncing atheism.

Are you just dense whag? I never said he was a Christian, I said he wasn't a Deist who believed that God didn't interact in the world, and that he was only one of five writers of the DOI - three of which would have said the God therein was the Christian God.

Technically, he (Jefferson) was not a deist if the term is understood to mean belief in a god who created the universe and then left it to “run” on its own according to natural laws, a “clock-maker” god. Jefferson did believe that God actively engaged in time, sustaining creation on an ongoing basis; yet, in his rejection of Biblical miracles and belief that natural laws were the language of God, he certainly is deistic.

https://www.monticello.org/research-...gious-beliefs/
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

People are their own Gods. The proof is in the act of prayer.

We, the people, bestow rights on ourselves, and we can remove them just the same.

A God is only as powerful as its owner. You only have to know who is in control.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You must have been a horrible historian if you were unable to come up with plausible interpretations based on contemporary evidence. I mean, it might be reasonable to state that we "cant be certain" what they meant by "their creator", but to declare that we "have no idea" is simply laziness.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You must have been a horrible historian if you were unable to come up with plausible interpretations based on contemporary evidence. I mean, it might be reasonable to state that we "cant be certain" what they meant by "their creator", but to declare that we "have no idea" is simply laziness.
                You forget the time difference between where I live and where you live. When I made that reply it was around midnight and I was in bed at the time. A tablet is best suited to short replies.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                  Do Christians rape and forcibly impregnate 16 year old girls?
                  Some do.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

And what don't you get - there were five men who wrote the DOI, to three of them the God in question would have been the Christian God, not a removed deistic god.
                    Assuming that's true, there would still be two authors for whom 'God' would not have meant the Christian god.

Clearly the term 'God' in the DOI is a generic term referring to any of the gods of Christianity, deism, Judaism and probably Islam too. It does not refer exclusively to the Christian god.

Both the Christian and non-Christian authors would have been fully conversant with this usage, would have known that 'the 'God' referred to was not purely their own one, and would not have said that it was.

Anyone who can't understand that the term 'God' can be used in such a generic fashion but must refer solely to the Christian god isn't worth listening to.
                    Last edited by Roy; 03-01-2024, 03:51 AM.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You forget the time difference between where I live and where you live. When I made that reply it was around midnight and I was in bed at the time. A tablet is best suited to short replies.
                      Yes, because "can't be certain" is so much longer than "no idea"...

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Yes, because "can't be certain" is so much longer than "no idea"...
                        It was a "throw away" remark to a fervent believer in the Christian god; and who is convinced that the phrase "their creator" can only refer to the Christian deity.

Nothing I write will deter our mutual friend from his convictions so why should I bother to try?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It was a "throw away" remark to a fervent believer in the Christian god; and who is convinced that the phrase "their creator" can only refer to the Christian deity.

Nothing I write will deter our mutual friend from his convictions so why should I bother to try?
                          We can only go by what you write.

You wrote "no idea" with no qualifiers.

Comment

I've never heard that defense before; 'you forget where I live so you should know I was tired'? That makes it CD's fault? Why not simply say "I was tired."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I've never heard that defense before; 'you forget where I live so you should know I was tired'? That makes it CD's fault? Why not simply say "I was tired."
                              It's ok. Hypatia_Alexandria also tried the excuse that it was a throw-away remark to a "fervent believer in the Christian god". As a reason why she said it. Of course, that neglects the fact that she also used that same "no idea" rationale with an atheist.

So, even her defenses aren't really all that truthful.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

We can only go by what you write.
                                Indeed you can.

"It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment