Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Matt Schlapp and CPAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Schlapp and CPAC

Somebody please explain to me why Matt Schlapp is still running the ACU?

There was news this week of some doof at CPAC getting cheered for cheering on the end of democracy. Jack Posobiec, the same doof who pushed the pizzagate conspiracy theory. I'm assuming alcohol was involved. I'm not saying Jack was drunk. French kisses to Christian nationalism from Jack don't require lubricated doofdom. But you do need more than that to explain the cheers that followed and I try to be generous.

That's at CPAC, which brings us back to its host, Matt Schlapp, chairman of the ACU, and his tendency to let alcohol talk him into stripping down to his underwear and rub his junk against young men. Which fact only became known because of his tendency to let alcohol talk him into grabbing a chauffeur's junk and pummeling it at length. Sorry, can't find any links that don't include multiple f-bombs.

I'm old enough to remember when being found in bed with a dead girl or a live boy was enough to end a career in politics, but times have changed since then.

But I didn't think they'd changed enough to let any organization other than FOX shrug off millions in legal fees for serial sexual misconduct.

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

There was news this week of some doof at CPAC getting cheered for cheering on the end of democracy.
    I didn't hear any cheers. I heard someone say "ah ah ah" into a microphone, which I took as a negative response.

Comment

I would like to see more context. In the article Eider referenced this was in there:

“They say democracy, but they mean authoritarianism, and they know it,” he said.

This leaves me wondering if he's using "democracy" tongue in cheek, in reference to a belief that they are dealing with stolen in elections.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I didn't hear any cheers. I heard someone say "ah ah ah" into a microphone, which I took as a negative response.
        The video cut out and Amna Nawaz filled in that cheers followed before emphasizing the doof was holding up a cross, not a fist as less careful sources have reported. This isn't about the doof or the doofs who cheered him. Brooks nailed the explanation on that one, I think. And Eider has a thread on that. I'm barely interested in the annual right wing "loony toons cafe."

Checking a couple links to verify what Twitter was telling me about led me to a name I knew because he's also speaking at CPAC

This is about Matt Schlapp who is inexplicably still running the show at ACU. I thought he'd have been fired after the reports of him groping the Herschel Walker aide. Or after their treasurer resigned after being stymied on financial data on how much he was costing them in legal fees. Frankly, I hadn't paid much attention after that. I figured that would be enough to start the house cleaning.

Apparently, I was mistaken.

Comment

There was news this week of some doof at CPAC getting cheered for cheering on the end of democracy. Jack Posobiec, the same doof who pushed the pizzagate conspiracy theory. I'm assuming alcohol was involved. I'm not saying Jack was drunk. French kisses to Christian nationalism from Jack don't require lubricated doofdom. But you do need more than that to explain the cheers that followed and I try to be generous.

That's at CPAC, which brings us back to its host, Matt Schlapp, chairman of the ACU, and his tendency to let alcohol talk him into stripping down to his underwear and rub his junk against young men. Which fact only became known because of his tendency to let alcohol talk him into grabbing a chauffeur's junk and pummeling it at length. Sorry, can't find any links that don't include multiple f-bombs.

I'm old enough to remember when being found in bed with a dead girl or a live boy was enough to end a career in politics, but times have changed since then.

But I didn't think they'd changed enough to let any organization other than FOX shrug off millions in legal fees for serial sexual misconduct.
          I imagine he knows where enough proverbial or literal bodies are buried that, should the hammer comes down on him, there will be a lot of Mutual Assured Destruction going on. That's usually the simplest explanation, and it's how a lot of folks stay in their positions despite being absolutely vile people.
          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

[B]The video cut out and Amna Nawaz filled in that cheers followed[/] before emphasizing the doof was holding up a cross, not a fist as less careful sources have reported. This isn't about the doof or the doofs who cheered him. Brooks nailed the explanation on that one, I think. And Eider has a thread on that. I'm barely interested in the annual right wing "loony toons cafe."
            The video cut out or did Amna Nawaz cut it out to make it seem as if their were cheers. Given the so called journalists on the left(which Amna Nawaz is) do This all the time to make some one or a group of people seem to be the opposite of what they are. I would be interested in seeming the whole speech from CPAC if someone can find it not a video that was cut off be for I believe their were cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

The video cut out or did Amna Nawaz cut it out to make it seem as if their were cheers. Given the so called journalists on the left(which Amna Nawaz is) do This all the time to make some one or a group of people seem to be the opposite of what they are. I would be interested in seeming the whole speech from CPAC if someone can find it not a video that was cut off be for I believe their were cheers.
              Check your calendar. Pretty sure this isn't your day to be a twit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

I imagine he knows where enough proverbial or literal bodies are buried that, should the hammer comes down on him, there will be a lot of Mutual Assured Destruction going on. That's usually the simplest explanation, and it's how a lot of folks stay in their positions despite being absolutely vile people.
                In practical terms, it comes down to who has the right to fire him. If he was acting as a CEO, that would be up to the board, but he's the chairman of the board, so I dunno.

Comment

The video cut out and Amna Nawaz filled in that cheers followed before emphasizing the doof was holding up a cross, not a fist as less careful sources have reported. This isn't about the doof or the doofs who cheered him. Brooks nailed the explanation on that one, I think. And Eider has a thread on that. I'm barely interested in the annual right wing "loony toons cafe."
                  I'll only add that I just watched a longer edit and I still didn't hear any cheers. I heard maybe 3 people clapping. And the "ah ah ah" turned out to be Steve Bannon saying "ho ho ho." I realize this isn't the gist of your OP, but I wanted to point out to anyone reading this thread that there were no cheers in regard to Posobiec's comments.

Checking a couple links to verify what Twitter was telling me about led me to a name I knew because he's also speaking at CPAC

This is about Matt Schlapp who is inexplicably still running the show at ACU. I thought he'd have been fired after the reports of him groping the Herschel Walker aide. Or after their treasurer resigned after being stymied on financial data on how much he was costing them in legal fees. Frankly, I hadn't paid much attention after that. I figured that would be enough to start the house cleaning.

Apparently, I was mistaken.
                  I don't recall hearing about Schlapp or his organization before now.

Comment

There were no cheers. I can only suspect she said this in the hope that people would just accept the claim without questioning it.

Comment

In practical terms, it comes down to who has the right to fire him. If he was acting as a CEO, that would be up to the board, but he's the chairman of the board, so I dunno.
                      Yeah, someone's definitely not doing their job. Whether it's a case of, "He's Trash, But He's OUR Trash," partisan crap, or a case of, "If I go down I'm taking you all with me," remains to be seen.
                      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

There were no cheers. I can only suspect she said this in the hope that people would just accept the claim without questioning it.
                        So it was another non journalist from the left telling us what they want us to believe and cutting off anything that shows a different view from the whole.

I have seen this happen time and again on leftwing media like CNN and MSNBC. Latest was how they handled the New Hampshire primary and Trump speech after he came in first. My brother and I watched the full speech without any interruptions or cutting off of his speech. My brother then decided to see how CNN and MSNBC handled it interesting enough we found out that CNN had Trumps speech on a long delay which they talked over spewing off nonsense about what he was saying, as for MSNBC they refused to show his speech saying we will tell you what he said; nothing they said was true they only wanted to make those who want others to do the thinking for them believe their false narrative.

​​​​​​
                        ​​​

Comment

I'll only add that I just watched a longer edit and I still didn't hear any cheers. I heard maybe 3 people clapping. And the "ah ah ah" turned out to be Steve Bannon saying "ho ho ho." I realize this isn't the gist of your OP, but I wanted to point out to anyone reading this thread that there were no cheers in regard to Posobiec's comments.
                          Seeing as it's not part of the thread, I'm not going to argue it unless there's something in it for me. I've got $50 bucks says you're wrong. Add as many zeros as you like.

I'm full on certain what you've seen didn't include the conclusion of his comments. There were cheers.

I don't recall hearing about Schlapp or his organization before now.
                          The ACU is a big noise in conservative circles, and he's chairman of the board. As the chairman, he's also the host of CPAP. I'm thinking Buckley would be horrified if he was still sucking air.

Of course I can't be certain the groping and grinding allegations are true, but the defamation case is real enough and that's what's eating up the legal fees. The grinding allegations came up in discovery. They knew they had a problem with him and they didn't do anything about it. And by they, I mean the rest of the ACU board. That kind of lapse can get real expensive real fast.

Comment

So it was another non journalist from the left telling us what they want us to believe and cutting off anything that shows a different view from the whole.
                            I told you to check your calendar. But seeing as you couldn't be bothered, I'm happy to take your money too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

Yeah, someone's definitely not doing their job. Whether it's a case of, "He's Trash, But He's OUR Trash," partisan crap, or a case of, "If I go down I'm taking you all with me," remains to be seen.
                              My first thought was that he had a captive board, but that didn't check out. There's a lot of folks on that board, and he couldn't possibly have dirt on all of them. Makes me think there's more fuel in your first guess.

I miss Bill Buckley. He's one of the founders. Just maybe the ACU's going to end up missing him too before this one plays out.

Comment