Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas College - Backpedals After Firing Biology Professor for Teaching Biology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Two thoughts immediately surfaced:

1) Christian belief says absolutely nothing about chromosomal arrangements. They're not mentioned in the Nicene creed, nor New Testament, and I very much doubt there's been a Papal proclamation about them either.

2) He's supposed to be a biology teacher If he's unaware of the existence of people with chromosomal arrangements other than XX or XY* he should be fired for incompetence. Religious beliefs are irrelevant.

*XXX (Trisomy), XXY (Klinefelter), XYY (Jacobs), YYY (Delilah), XYYY and XYYYY.
    Yes - and there are naturally born XY females and XX males, rare conditions, and the individuals being fertile rare even within those groups. Which has no impact on the fact that normally functioning chromosomes produce XX females and XY males. So, barring malfunctions, XX produces females and XY produces males: XXY and XYY etc are neither XX nor XY. Therefore, the professor was correct. Even more so if, as seems to be the case, he stipulated that the individual's biological sex was in question. Gender was not the topic.
    Last edited by tabibito; 02-23-2024, 11:36 AM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

1) Christian belief says absolutely nothing about chromosomal arrangements. They're not mentioned in the Nicene creed, nor New Testament, and I very much doubt there's been a Papal proclamation about them either.
      They never imagined there would be so many people so confused in their heads that they thought they were men when they were women, and vice versa.

2) He's supposed to be a biology teacher If he's unaware of the existence of people with chromosomal arrangements other than XX or XY* he should be fired for incompetence. Religious beliefs are irrelevant.

*XXX (Trisomy), XXY (Klinefelter), XYY (Jacobs), YYY (Delilah), XYYY and XYYYY.
      Doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of humans are born either male or female.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Source: Mark 10:6

But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female.’

© Copyright Original Source

Chromosomes are hardly required to differentiate the sexes.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

The Crocodile Dundee "Shelia test"?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Source: Mark 10:6

But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female.’

© Copyright Original Source

Best not to reference Mark’s passage about gender and Genesis, since this was their understanding of that myth:

1 Corinthians 11:8–9
            For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.

Comment

XXX (Trisomy)
              Female

XXY (Klinefelter)
              Male. (Also male for XXXY)

XYY (Jacobs)
              Male

YYY (Delilah)
              Male

XYYY
              Male

XYYYY.
              Male.

You forgot X0 which is female and XX with a SRY gene, which is also female. Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome is also still male.

Perhaps you can spot the pattern.

Of course genetic abnormalities are merely mottes to sneak in the baily genetically normal individuals who have delusions of what they believe their sex ought to be as it contradicts what there sex is in reality.
              Last edited by Diogenes; 02-23-2024, 05:34 PM.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of humans are born either male or female.
                All of the conditions listed still are either male or female. Having a Y chromosome makes one a male and not having one makes one a female. He's using genetic abnormalities as a disingenuous means to an end as a motte and bailey. There is one condition that is more of a grey area but it is nor does its existence means the sex binary should be jettisoned.
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

Best not to reference Mark’s passage about gender and Genesis, since this was their understanding of that myth:

For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.

1Cor 11:11-12 (Part of Paul's rebuttal to the argument cited in vv 4 - 10.)
                  11 However, in the Lord, neither is woman independent of man, nor is man independent of woman.
                  12 For as the woman originates from the man, so also the man through the woman; and all things originate from God.

Verse 3, incidentally, provides a major headache for co-equality if "head" is taken to mean "ruler" rather than "source."
                  Last edited by tabibito; 02-23-2024, 07:25 PM.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Your concern is duly noted.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                      YYY (Delilah)
                      Male
                      You really should make more effort to understand something before making pronouncements about it.

At least then you'd have a chance of knowing why you're being laughed at.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So, here is the other side...

San Antonio prof claims he was fired for his religious beliefs. Alamo Colleges says otherwise.

Although the instructor said he was canned for saying X and Y chromosomes determine a person's sex, his termination letter accuses him of making anti-LGBTQ+ comments and engaging in 'misogynistic banter.'

Attorneys with a self-described Christian Conservative law firm said Alamo Colleges District has until July 5 to reinstate an adjunct instructor they allege was fired for his religious beliefs or face a wrongful termination suit.

That instructor, Johnson Varkey, has been the subject of right-wing media headlines for stating that he was canned from his job teaching biology at St. Philips College for saying in class that a person's sex is determined by X and Y chromosomes. He's represented by First Liberty Institute, a Plano-based law firm with the slogan "We Won't Be Canceled" emblazoned across its homepage.

However, Alamo Colleges' termination letter to Varkey, an adjunct instructor at St. Philips, states that he was let go over reports that he'd made anti-LGBTQ comments, engaged in "misogynistic banter" and engaged in other inappropriate classroom behavior.
                        Did the termination letter go into detail about exactly what comments, banter, and behavior led to his termination? Because frankly, as far as liberals are concerned, simply stating the fact that one's sex is biologically fixed at birth would qualify as an "anti-LGBTQ comment, misogynistic banter, and inappropriate classroom behavior."

And let's be honest, termination letters rarely tell the whole story. How many times have we seen a colleague let go, and management sends out an email saying, "John Smith has decided it is time to pursue new career opportunities and has ended his employment with us. We wish him the best of luck." It's like the old joke about a job interview where the interviewer asks, "Why did you leave your previous job?" and the applicant responds, "It didn't seem right to stick around after they fired me."
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You really should make more effort to understand something before making pronouncements about it.

At least then you'd have a chance of knowing why you're being laughed at.
                          In the flake's defense, I was never much into Tom Jones, either.

Comment

Your concern is duly noted.
                            I’m not concerned just showing what you believe regarding from whence women came.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

1Cor 11:11-12 (Part of Paul's rebuttal to the argument cited in vv 4 - 10.)
                              11 However, in the Lord, neither is woman independent of man, nor is man independent of woman.
                              12 For as the woman originates from the man, so also the man through the woman; and all things originate from God.

Verse 3, incidentally, provides a major headache for co-equality if "head" is taken to mean "ruler" rather than "source."
                              Paul’s rebuttal doesn’t change his belief that the first woman was fashioned from the first man.

Comment

Paul’s rebuttal doesn’t change his belief that the first woman was fashioned from the first man.
                                Paul also commanded that husbands and wives are to have mutual love and respect for each other. So what's your point?
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment