Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Medical journal retracts studies on safety of abortion-causing drugs ahead of SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical journal retracts studies on safety of abortion-causing drugs ahead of SCOTUS

Medical journal retracts studies on safety of abortion-causing drugs ahead of Supreme Court arguments

The Supreme Court is slated to hear arguments against the safety of the chemical abortion drug mifepristone.

Three medical research reports, which pieced together an alarming set of data showing the abortion pill mifepristone is very dangerous to girls and women, were retracted by the publisher, Sage, just weeks before the Supreme Court is slated to hear arguments against the safety of the drug. The publisher cited a conflict of interest but The Charlotte Lozier Institute (CLI), which funded the research, is fighting back.

"This case has been painted as a pro-life vs. pro-abortion case, but in its essence, it is about the FDA performing its job to protect the American public from dangerous drugs," Dr. Ingrid Skop, a 25-year veteran obstetrician-gynecologist who serves as vice president and director of medical affairs for the pro-life CLI, told Decision.

"When they approved the chemical abortion regimen, they did not follow their own rules," Skop said. "The FDA is required to study the pediatric population, which they never did. They approved mifepristone under a category called accelerated approval regulations, which is meant to be used for drugs that treat life-threatening illnesses. Over time, they've removed the safeguards. And many times, they point to studies that don't even replicate the conditions that they now allow the abortion pill to be used under."

The trouble started when, two years ago, a CLI study led by Dr. James Studnicki found an increase in the rate of post-abortion ER visits following chemical abortions based on Medicaid claims data. The study was widely cited and provided impetus for other studies seeking better information on the impacts of abortion on women. It was this study that, nearly two years later, caught the attention of a complainant whose letter, which remains unpublished to date, prompted the publisher, Sage, to issue an Expression of Concern (EOC) for the article.

The EOC did not refer to any finding of the study but claimed "potential issues regarding the representation of data in the article and author conflicts of interest." On November 13, Sage informed the CLI researchers that it was retracting the ER study and two additional studies (see here and here). Dr. Studnicki, of course, had no role whatsoever in reviewing and approving the articles that appeared under his lead authorship.

The three articles provided new data, sounding alarms that mifepristone, a drug used in chemical abortions to block oxygen and nutrients from getting to a developing fetus, was never assessed properly and that rather than being safe and effective, as the FDA and Big Abortion has been pushing for the last twenty years, it poses great health risks to females who take it.

The retraction notice indicates that an independent assessment of the studies was undertaken in response to a single reader's complaint that the studies contained misleading data and that the authors were linked with a pro-life organization, the Charlotte Lozier Institute, creating a conflict of interest.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

What's this? Another drug deemed "safe and effective" by the FDA that turns out to be anything but? Why, I never...!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      What's this? Another drug deemed "safe and effective" by the FDA that turns out to be anything but? Why, I never...!
      Safety is balanced against political wants, and came up short.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment