Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Coming Paradigm Shift on Climate

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Coming Paradigm Shift on Climate

    The just-published NIPCC reports may lead to a paradigm shift about what or who causes current climate changes. All the evidence suggests that Nature rules the climate not Man.

    http://americanthinker.com/2014/03/t..._climate_.html

    let's start to rumble

  • #2


    vs...

    http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...6_climate.html
    New Study Shows Climate Change Largely Irreversible
    That's what
    - She

    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    Stephen R. Donaldson

    Comment


    • #3
      In other news, I had to wear my jacket this morning in Texas in APRIL!!!!! (OK, ALMOST April!)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

      Comment


      • #4
        I vote we rename 'climate change'. I vote for 'seasons'.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

        "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

        My Personal Blog

        My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

        Quill Sword

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post


          vs...

          http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...6_climate.html
          New Study Shows Climate Change Largely Irreversible
          See, this is what I don't get about the proposed solutions to stop global warm... er... climate change. Assuming its legitimacy, how would a carbon tax (which is what was being proposed on an international level) stop climate change? Maybe if the global governments got extremely dictatorial and forced everyone, public and private, individual and corporation to abandon conventional means of energy, perhaps it might have made a difference. But aside from the "forcing" issue, then we're talking extreme disruption and ramifications of the industrial economies of the world. Assuming we would ever agree as to the legitimacy of man-made climate change, the solution seems impossible anyway.
          "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
            The just-published NIPCC reports may lead to a paradigm shift about what or who causes current climate changes. All the evidence suggests that Nature rules the climate not Man.

            http://americanthinker.com/2014/03/t..._climate_.html

            let's start to rumble
            S. Fred Singer, tobacco denialist? Time to upgrade your sources, P.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              I vote we rename 'climate change'. I vote for 'seasons'.
              In other news, I note my vote that y'all make an effort to learn the science hasn't done much good either.

              Comment


              • #8
                When you haven't got a decent refutation, start pouring Drano in the well...
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

                "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                My Personal Blog

                My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                Quill Sword

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  See, this is what I don't get about the proposed solutions to stop global warm... er... climate change. Assuming its legitimacy, how would a carbon tax (which is what was being proposed on an international level) stop climate change? Maybe if the global governments got extremely dictatorial and forced everyone, public and private, individual and corporation to abandon conventional means of energy, perhaps it might have made a difference. But aside from the "forcing" issue, then we're talking extreme disruption and ramifications of the industrial economies of the world. Assuming we would ever agree as to the legitimacy of man-made climate change, the solution seems impossible anyway.
                  Yeah, I have always said, ASSUMING things are as bad as you say, HOW MUCH MONEY is "enough", and what, exactly, will you spend it on? Nobody knows. Except, of course, more research.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    In other news, I note my vote that y'all make an effort to learn the science hasn't done much good either.
                    Well, I see no reason to accept the science until I'm sure it will turn a profit.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
                      Well, I see no reason to accept the science until I'm sure it will turn a profit.
                      Or, y'know, make useful and specific predictions.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        See, this is what I don't get about the proposed solutions to stop global warm... er... climate change. Assuming its legitimacy, how would a carbon tax (which is what was being proposed on an international level) stop climate change? Maybe if the global governments got extremely dictatorial and forced everyone, public and private, individual and corporation to abandon conventional means of energy, perhaps it might have made a difference. But aside from the "forcing" issue, then we're talking extreme disruption and ramifications of the industrial economies of the world. Assuming we would ever agree as to the legitimacy of man-made climate change, the solution seems impossible anyway.
                        I've been toying with the idea of starting a thread in Natural Science on a facet of the subject that, oddly, never seems to be touched. That is: given, for the sake of argument, man-made climate change, answer these two questions:

                        1. What makes you think preventing it would even be possible, let alone cheaper than simply adapting to it?
                        2. What is the reasoning behind the proposed sweeping government action in the preventions?

                        Interestingly, the answers to the above two points always seem to be assumed; there is never any reason given for why, for example, adapting to the change is totally out of the question. The equation, then, is this:

                        Anthropogenic global warming is a reality.
                        Therefore, broad government intervention is absolutely and unquestionably necessary.

                        It's a pretty big disconnect that I'm not sure how thoroughly I want to explore....
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Wait... some people still deny that tobacco is harmful? Seriously? I thought Thank You For Smoking was a satire by now.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            I've been toying with the idea of starting a thread in Natural Science on a facet of the subject that, oddly, never seems to be touched. That is: given, for the sake of argument, man-made climate change, answer these two questions:

                            1. What makes you think preventing it would even be possible, let alone cheaper than simply adapting to it?
                            2. What is the reasoning behind the proposed sweeping government action in the preventions?

                            Interestingly, the answers to the above two points always seem to be assumed; there is never any reason given for why, for example, adapting to the change is totally out of the question. The equation, then, is this:

                            Anthropogenic global warming is a reality.
                            Therefore, broad government intervention is absolutely and unquestionably necessary.

                            It's a pretty big disconnect that I'm not sure how thoroughly I want to explore....
                            Possibly misunderstanding the goal? I don't know that it's reversible. We can keep from exacerbating it, though. I think that would answer both questions presented.


                            ETA:
                            It's worth noting that 'adapting to it' involves relocating millions of people or, at the very least, rebuilding their homes and infrastructure to accommodate new water levels.
                            I'm not here anymore.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              Possibly misunderstanding the goal? I don't know that it's reversible. We can keep from exacerbating it, though. I think that would answer both questions presented.


                              ETA:
                              It's worth noting that 'adapting to it' involves relocating millions of people or, at the very least, rebuilding their homes and infrastructure to accommodate new water levels.
                              It still looks like you could just replace "preventing" in my post with "keep from exacerbating"*.

                              But anyway, I don't know how much I want to pursue this right now. I'm rather ill-equipped to do it, anyway.

                              *Or some less clumsily verbose alternative....
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Gondwanaland, Yesterday, 03:02 PM
                              1 response
                              60 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Mountain Man  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, 10-17-2021, 01:58 PM
                              3 responses
                              55 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Cow Poke, 10-15-2021, 11:30 AM
                              15 responses
                              127 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Cow Poke, 10-15-2021, 10:20 AM
                              8 responses
                              66 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Cow Poke  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, 10-15-2021, 09:43 AM
                              14 responses
                              160 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                              Working...
                              X