Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Europe braces itself against Former President Trump's possible/probable return.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe braces itself against Former President Trump's possible/probable return.

It looks as if Europe is bracing itself against a lonelier future, if and when Former President Trump steps in to power once more.
    Yesterday's news shows the tip of any future Trump-Berg that might be drifting our way, beginning to show above the surface.

European leaders must surely be waking up........and fast!

I hope the lInk to the Guardian report will open, but in any event the title in blue will show scores of other reports, once entered in to jolly old google.

Donald Trump says he would encourage Russia to attack ...

Seeking a second presidency as the Republicans’ presumptive 2024 White House nominee, Donald Trump has said he would “encourage” Russia to attack any of the US’s Nato allies whom he considers to have not met their financial obligations.

The Guardian
    https://www.theguardian.com › us-news › feb › donal...
    4 hours ago — Remarks by former president and presumptive 2024 Republican nominee described as 'unhinged' by the White House.
    Missing: let ‎| Show results with: let
    Last edited by eider; 02-11-2024, 03:16 AM.

Originally posted by eider View Post
    It looks as if Europe is bracing itself against a lonelier future, if and when Former President Trump steps in to power once more.
    Yesterday's news shows the tip of any future Trump-Berg that might be drifting our way, beginning to show above the surface.

European leaders must surely be waking up........and fast!

I hope the lInk to the Guardian report will open, but in any event the title in blue will show scores of other reports, once entered in to jolly old google.

Donald Trump says he would encourage Russia to attack ...

Seeking a second presidency as the Republicans’ presumptive 2024 White House nominee, Donald Trump has said he would “encourage” Russia to attack any of the US’s Nato allies whom he considers to have not met their financial obligations.

The Guardian
    https://www.theguardian.com › us-news › feb › donal...
    4 hours ago — Remarks by former president and presumptive 2024 Republican nominee described as 'unhinged' by the White House.
    Missing: let ‎| Show results with: let
    If Americans are crazy enough to elect him, what can we do? The people will have spoken.

However, like so much of his rhetoric I suspect this is simply being said in order to appeal to his base. And the man is hardly noted for consistency or rational thinking.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

If Americans are crazy enough to elect him, what can we do? The people will have spoken.

However, like so much of his rhetoric I suspect this is simply being said in order to appeal to his base. And the man is hardly noted for consistency or rational thinking.
      But he did in his previous term put significant stress on the NATO alliance, the only thing holding Russia or China back.

When a presidential candidate openly offers 'misbehaving' NATO allies to Putin, he is putting the entire world at risk.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

But he did in his previous term put significant stress on the NATO alliance, the only thing holding Russia or China back.

When a presidential candidate openly offers 'misbehaving' NATO allies to Putin, he is putting the entire world at risk.
        https://www.politico.com/story/2016/...r-share-231405

Even Obama was having issues with our NATO allaies who were essentially freeloading. Something needs to be done to get those countries who want the protection of nato, but don't want to pull their weight, to meet their actual commitments.

Having said that, offering them to a regime as nasty and evil as the one the Democrats mocked Romney for saying was our number 1 geopolitical rival, isn't a good idea.

Comment

That is true but how much actual power does a President possess to ignore Treaty obligations?
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That is true but how much actual power does a President possess to ignore Treaty obligations?
            All of Europe has needed to know about Trump in good time. This might, just might, bring European countries more closely together.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

All of Europe has needed to know about Trump in good time. This might, just might, bring European countries more closely together.
              Perhaps it's time Europe stopped hiding under the US' skirt. Germany though chose to fund Putin's war by denuclearising. Europeans would rather let the US spend its money on European defence and use their tax dollars to subsidize European welfare spending.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I suspect about the same as the European nations who've been freeloading and ignoring their obligations.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/...r-share-231405

Even Obama was having issues with our NATO allaies who were essentially freeloading. Something needs to be done to get those countries who want the protection of nato, but don't want to pull their weight, to meet their actual commitments.

Having said that, offering them to a regime as nasty and evil as the one the Democrats mocked Romney for saying was our number 1 geopolitical rival, isn't a good idea.
                  Not a good idea? Well, yes. That would be a rather understated way of talking about a former and potential US president offering a NATO ally to be slaughtered by a despot.

So is that how you'd treat a friend that stiffed you some money at a dinner. Unleash a mobster on them to collect?
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Perhaps it's time Europe stopped hiding under the US' skirt. Germany though chose to fund Putin's war by denuclearising. Europeans would rather let the US spend its money on European defence and use their tax dollars to subsidize European welfare spending.
                    I don't expect much better than this here. Paying some of the cost required for Europe's defense is the single least expensive way of holding Russia at bay. As long as they know we have their back, they can stand up to him. It is amazing how short sighted so many have become with their pitch forks in hand ready to follow this fool off a cliff.

Comment

Not a good idea? Well, yes. That would be a rather understated way of talking about a former and potential US president offering a NATO ally to be slaughtered by a despot.

So is that how you'd treat a friend that stiffed you some money at a dinner. Unleash a mobster on them to collect?
                      I think your hypothetical is off. It's not analogous to someone stiffing you at dinner.

A more apt hypothetical would be this.

You and your friends get together and buy a plot of land to build a gym/swimming pool on for them to all use. Everyone agrees to pay a certain amount to buy the land, build the gym, and maintain the facilities. How do you treat a friend who is not paying into it what they agreed to?

Comment

I remember the peace and prosperity the world enjoyed when President Trump was in the White House, I wonder to myself why anybody would be against that.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          I remember the peace and prosperity the world enjoyed when President Trump was in the White House, I wonder to myself why anybody would be against that.
                          Something something mean tweets.
                          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Are you suggesting that during Trump's presidency the entire world found peace and prosperity?

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The irony, of course, is that the only time Article 5 of the NATO charter was invoked was 24 hours after 9/11. Over 30% of the soldiers who died in Afghanistan (457 Brits, 159 Canadians, 90 French, 62 Germans, etc.) were from NATO member countries coming to the defense of the United States.

The following video is a US media tribute to Canada's fallen heroes, who return home via the Highway of Heroes:

Last edited by Reepicheep; 02-11-2024, 08:23 AM.
                              "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                              "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment