Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Migrant crossings fall sharply along Texas border, shifting to Arizona and California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrant crossings fall sharply along Texas border, shifting to Arizona and California

Migrant crossings fall sharply along Texas border, shifting to Arizona and California

Eagle Pass, Texas — In recent weeks, the flow of migrants crossing into the U.S. illegally has largely shifted away from Texas, concentrating instead in Arizona and California, where immigration officials are now recording roughly 60% of all unlawful border crossings, according to internal federal government figures obtained by CBS News.

Overall illegal crossings along the U.S.-Mexico border have dropped sharply since soaring to a record high in December. In January, Border Patrol recorded 125,000 migrant apprehensions in between ports of entry along the southern border, compared to nearly 250,000 in December, preliminary federal data show. But the geographic trends of those migration flows have also changed dramatically.

Over the past weeks, the Tucson sector in Arizona and the San Diego sector in California have been the busiest Border Patrol regions for migrant crossings. In both sectors, more than 1,000 migrants have been entering the U.S. illegally each day in remote desert areas like Lukeville, Arizona, and Jacumba Hot Springs, California, in recent weeks, taking advantage of gaps in the border wall or holes cut by smugglers.

Meanwhile, along the 1,254-mile Texas border, the largest of any state neighboring Mexico, crossings by migrants have plunged. The drop has been especially pronounced in the Del Rio sector, which was the second-busiest Border Patrol region in December.

Border Patrol averaged 1,816 daily migrant apprehensions in the Tucson sector and 1,213 in the San Diego sector during the week ending on Feb. 4, the internal government data show. Collectively, the two sectors accounted for 59% of the 5,128 daily apprehension average that week. Arizona and California each have one additional Border Patrol sector, but migrant arrivals in those areas are much lower.

In the seven-day time period ending on Feb. 4, Border Patrol averaged 716 and 536 migrant apprehensions each day in Texas' El Paso and Rio Grande Valley sectors, respectively. The Del Rio sector, meanwhile, has been recording a few hundred apprehensions, and as few as 200, each day — compared to the 2,300 daily migrant crossings there in December.

The shifting migration patterns are clearly visible in Eagle Pass, a small Texas border city in the Del Rio sector that was one of the epicenters of the record influx in migrant crossings in December. At one point that month, Border Patrol held as many as 6,000 migrants in an outdoor staging area in a public park in Eagle Pass next to the Rio Grande, which thousands of migrants were crossing each day to enter the U.S.

But daily illegal crossings have slowed to a trickle in this area, which has been sealed off to the public and federal agents by Texas National Guard soldiers deployed by Gov. Greg Abbott, a Republican who has repeatedly clashed with President Biden over U.S. immigration policy.

Using layers of razor and concertina wire, shipping containers and other barriers, the Texas National Guard has fortified this 2.5-mile section of the southern border, making it exceedingly difficult for migrants to get past the riverbank of the Rio Grande. It has also sealed off the former Border Patrol staging area with concertina wire, blocking federal agents from processing migrants there.

Apparently, word has gotten out that Texas is serious about illegal entry, so people are shifting to other options.

JimL is forbidden from posting his TrumpsterCrap in this thread

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

"razor and concertina wire"? I thought the later was just when the wire is laid out in coils.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      "razor and concertina wire"? I thought the later was just when the wire is laid out in coils.
      Yup, but the language here is rather skewed anyway.

I'm just noting that the "messaging" appears to be getting out pretty effectively that the TEXAS part of the border is "closed", so they're moving to the "no so closed" sections.

Which means that those migrants seeking LEGAL entry aren't nearly so lost among the illegals.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yup, but the language here is rather skewed anyway.

I'm just noting that the "messaging" appears to be getting out pretty effectively that the TEXAS part of the border is "closed", so they're moving to the "no so closed" sections.

Which means that those migrants seeking LEGAL entry aren't nearly so lost among the illegals.
        It also demonstrates that tightening control on the border really does effect the amount of illegal immigrants streaming across.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It must be that moat filled with crocodiles.

Comment

It also demonstrates that tightening control on the border really does effect the amount of illegal immigrants streaming across.
            But I love how the article tries to say it's Biden's policies. This would explain why California and Arizona are getting whole new streams of illegals.
            But how did all of these illegals know to shift from Texas? The word "messaging" comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
              It must be that moat filled with crocodiles.
              Alligators!

And snakes.

By the way, have you ever seen a large group of rattlesnakes all coiled up and floating on the water?

Comment

Alligators!

And snakes.

By the way, have you ever seen a large group of rattlesnakes all coiled up and floating on the water?
                Rattlers equipped with water wings!!!

Comment

Rattlers equipped with water wings!!!
                  Rattlers and Alligators, along with other venomous critters, are FAR more dangerous to migrants than those giant bright orange attack balls with sawblades floating in the Rio Grande.

Comment

So have you see Robert Garcia's (D-Calif) display of what he says Trump will do along the border? In an attempt to horrify and scare Americans he may very well have given Trump a million votes.

Comment

So have you see Robert Garcia's (D-Calif) display of what he says Trump will do along the border? In an attempt to horrify and scare Americans he may very well have given Trump a million votes.

Where is that?

Comment

This is what I was saying in the other thread. If we limit entry to just approved Ports of Entry, and make it difficult to cross elsewhere, then only those who believe they have a valid asylum claim will bother trying to cross and they will do it at a legal entry port. The rest will eventually stop trying, knowing they have no claims. That will cut down on the numbers of people they need to process at the border, and hopefully it will go back to like it was before all these caravans started up under Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          This is what I was saying in the other thread. If we limit entry to just approved Ports of Entry, and make it difficult to cross elsewhere, then only those who believe they have a valid asylum claim will bother trying to cross and they will do it at a legal entry port. The rest will eventually stop trying, knowing they have no claims. That will cut down on the numbers of people they need to process at the border, and hopefully it will go back to like it was before all these caravans started up under Obama.
                          I think a HUGE factor here is that the drug cartels keep up with current events, and decided it was such a good idea to mess with Texas. Then word gets around fast that Texas is actually watching our border.

Comment

I think a HUGE factor here is that the drug cartels keep up with current events, and decided it was such a good idea to mess with Texas. Then word gets around fast that Texas is actually watching our border.
                            What makes you think the drug cartels would be driving such a sufficiently large portion of this traffic that a decision on their part to 'avoid texas' would result in a significant change in the traffic itself?

Would seem to me drug cartels success piggy backing on immigration traffic depends on them being a statistically insignificant fraction of the total traffic.
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-09-2024, 02:24 PM.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              What makes you think the drug cartels would be driving such a sufficiently large portion of this traffic that a decision on their part to 'avoid texas' would result in a significant change in the traffic itself?
                              A) Texas should ALWAYS be capitalized!
                              2) Because the drug cartels make money any way they can, including human trafficking, sex trafficking, money laundering, drug running
                              c) It's a percentages game, Jim - they want their mules and coyotes and other 'bad guys' to get lost in the masses

Would seem to me drug cartels success piggy backing on immigration traffic depends on them being a statistically insignificant fraction of the total traffic.
                              You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I've actually been talking to the men and women on the border, and getting ready to head down there again in a couple weeks.

Comment