Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alarming: CBP Announces Border Apprehensions Exceeded 1 Million Since October 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarming: CBP Announces Border Apprehensions Exceeded 1 Million Since October 1

Alarming: CBP Announces Border Apprehensions Exceeded 1 Million Since October 1

The news keeps getting worse. This morning CBP sources exclusively told Fox News Channel that the number of apprehensions of those illegally crossing the southern border has reached an alarming 1,000,000 so far this fiscal year.

FY 2024 began on October 1, 2023. This is the earliest that the 1M milestone has ever been reached. In the last 24 hours, 6800 illegal immigrants were apprehended at the southern border. For comparison, the total for FY 2023 was 909,182 in the same period.

CBP Enforcement Statistics
    apprehensions.jpg

JimL is free to post here, but his typical Trump rants are forbidden.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Given that migration can't just stopped by presidential fiat, why doesn't this figure put to bed the complaint that Biden isn't doing anything on the "open border"? Doesn't this show exactly the opposite?

-Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Given that migration can't just stopped by presidential fiat,
      Woah, you mean Biden lied when he claimed he could "shut down the border" immediately?

“It’ll also give me as president, the emergency authority to shut down the border until it could get back under control. If that bill were the law today, I’d shut down the border right now and fix it quickly.”

I'm shocked.

why doesn't this figure put to bed the complaint that Biden isn't doing anything on the "open border"? Doesn't this show exactly the opposite?

-Sam
      This is "apprehensions", Sam - this is not the total number who make it through without encountering law enforcement.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This is "apprehensions", Sam - this is not the total number who make it through without encountering law enforcement.
        Right. CBP has performed a million apprehensions earlier than it ever has before. Given that the agency and the executive branch can't wave a magic wand and make fewer total migrations, why doesn't this show that CBP is performing a lot of border enforcement right now, contrary to all the "open border" talk?

-Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Right. CBP has performed a million apprehensions earlier than it ever has before. Given that the agency and the executive branch can't wave a magic wand and make fewer total migrations, why doesn't this show that CBP is performing a lot of border enforcement right now, contrary to all the "open border" talk?

-Sam
          And, again....

Woah, you mean Biden lied when he claimed he could "shut down the border" immediately? (If it's not open, why would he need to "shut it down"?)

“It’ll also give me as president, the emergency authority to shut down the border until it could get back under control. If that bill were the law today, I’d shut down the border right now and fix it quickly.”

I'm shocked.

why doesn't this figure put to bed the complaint that Biden isn't doing anything on the "open border"? Doesn't this show exactly the opposite?

-Sam

Comment

And, again....

Woah, you mean Biden lied when he claimed he could "shut down the border" immediately? (If it's not open, why would he need to "shut it down"?)

I'm shocked.

So the complaint is that Biden failed to "close" the border because there are still people managing to enter the country unlawfully. Since unlawful migration has existed in every single presidency since USA made immigration exclusion laws, why is this being described as an "open border policy"? Why weren't Trump's or Bush's administrations criticized for the same? If "got-aways" are higher now, it's because there's more immigration now and one million apprehensions demonstrates that CBP, rather than pursuing a permissive policy of non-enforcement, is working harder than ever to enforce border controls.

The bipartisan border bill would have given CBP the ability to summarily deport migrants immediately; it would not have "shut the border down" in the sense of no longer having to apprehend border crossers. Apprehensions and deportations would have gone up because processing would go down.

So, to recap: calling Biden's border control an "open border" policy is proved, by statistics like these, to be a complete rhetorical fabrication. If the border was "open", CBP wouldn't have made a million apprehensions in record time for the fiscal year.

-Sam

Comment

Has anyone asked how all of these people are getting into Mexico? I mean, there are reportedly sizeable percentages of Chinese, Africans and Middle Easterners in the mix. How are they getting across the oceans? How are they getting such easy access into Mexico, or other southerly nations? How can they even afford it? Are they stowing away on tankers?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                Has anyone asked how all of these people are getting into Mexico? I mean, there are reportedly sizeable percentages of Chinese, Africans and Middle Easterners in the mix. How are they getting across the oceans? How are they getting such easy access into Mexico, or other southerly nations? How can they even afford it? Are they stowing away on tankers?
                Not all asylum-seeking migrants are extremely poor but even those who are extremely poor work and pool resources with close networks to afford the associated costs to reach South America.

Source: As More Migrants from Africa and Asia Arrive in Latin America, Governments Seek Orderly and Controlled Pathways. Caitlyn Yates. Migration Policy Institute. 2019.10.22

Differences in Migration from and beyond Latin America

Increasingly, migrants, particularly from Africa and the Middle East, are finding traditional migration routes to Europe too risky or expensive, as Europe hardens its own borders and strikes deals with countries such as Turkey and Libya to forestall transit migration. An August 2019 interview by the author in Peñita, Panama with a man from Cameroon offered one example. He conceded that “Europe was there,” referring to the continent’s vicinity to Cameroon, “but it is just too expensive.” Beyond cost, Latin America poses significantly fewer enforcement hurdles than Europe, with laxer visa laws that allow migrants to easily enter the continent through airports rather than skirting around official ports of entry—including by dangerous passage across the Mediterranean Sea.

Despite some increasing pressure on entrance countries to tighten their visa requirements, once extracontinental migrants enter Latin America, very few governments have developed targeted enforcement or deterrence policies. In addition, they infrequently deport extracontinental migrants. There are also indications that this may be changing though as, for the first time in October 2019, Mexico’s removal deported of more than 300 Indians in a single instance October received significant attention). Given both a lack of repatriation agreements with African and Asian countries, together with the cost of a transcontinental deportation process, these individuals do not face similar risks for deportation as migrants from Western Hemispheric countries. For instance, of the approximately 34,000 extracontinental migrants apprehended in Mexico between 2013 and 2018, just 3.3 percent were deported. By comparison, 96 percent of those apprehended from El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras were deported by the Mexican government over the same period.

© Copyright Original Source

-Sam

Comment

-Sam
                  Have they made those apprehensions because they've become more effective under old Joe, or because so many more people are crossing the border under his policies?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So the complaint is that Biden failed to "close" the border because there are still people managing to enter the country unlawfully.
                    Actually, Biden - in the statement I provided - was ceding the fact that the border is "out of control", or he wouldn't be talking about gettting it back under control, Sam...

Here, I'll show you a third time....

Since unlawful migration has existed in every single presidency since USA made immigration exclusion laws, why is this being described as an "open border policy"?
                    Why would Biden be talking about "getting it back under control" if it was already under control, Sam?

Why weren't Trump's or Bush's administrations criticized for the same? If "got-aways" are higher now, it's because there's more immigration now and one million apprehensions demonstrates that CBP, rather than pursuing a permissive policy of non-enforcement, is working harder than ever to enforce border controls.
                    I don't think you really understand how this works, Sam - there are limited numbers of Border Agents, and there are fixed entry points, as you well know. If the Border Agents are processing OVER A MILLION just so far this FY, that means there are wide expanses of Border that are not manned.

The bipartisan border bill would have given CBP the ability to summarily deport migrants immediately; it would not have "shut the border down" in the sense of no longer having to apprehend border crossers. Apprehensions and deportations would have gone up because processing would go down.
                    PLEASE tell me Biden is not outright LYING when he says....

So, to recap: calling Biden's border control an "open border" policy is proved, by statistics like these, to be a complete rhetorical fabrication. If the border was "open", CBP wouldn't have made a million apprehensions in record time for the fiscal year.

-Sam
                    No, Sam -- the Border Agents themselves will tell you that an increased number of Apprehensions is due to an increased number of people coming across the Border, only a fraction of whom are actually intercepted.

Here's an article for you to ignore...

BORDER SECTOR CHIEFS CONFIRM OPERATIONAL IMPACTS OF BORDER CHAOS: INCREASED GOTAWAYS, CLOSED CHECKPOINTS, AND EMPOWERED CARTELS

There are NUMEROUS Border Patrol agents and chiefs answering questions about the chaos at the Border.

Here is just one...

Chief Patrol Agent Sean McGoffin, Big Bend Sector

Q: And how many encounters, if you know, did Big Bend have that month?

A: 5,050.

Q: And when you have 5,050 encounters, what does that look like in terms of strain on resources in the sector?

A: Well, I mean, the resources where we’re at, the difficulties, I think the real problem is looking at the where the majority of these entries were and then looking at the resources that were available. So we had to make changes there to make sure that we could adequately deal with that particular area, and we did so.

I think if you’re talking about strained resources, a lot of it has to do with the amount of people that are actually available in the area. We had to change our tactics. We had to be—we had to take advantage of the terrain and have operational advantage where we didn’t have it in the past.

It is very rough terrain, and agents would oftentimes—they would find an entry and they would track that entry out to wherever it was. And then if it was in the mountains, it would take more people to actually go and make sure that everybody got out safely and then returned back to the station.

When Border Agents are manning legitimate checkpoints, they are not out intercepting illegals who are coming across -- I know this is shocking - at places that are NOT legitimate checkpoints. And when they are "tracking" gotaways, they are not manning legitimate checkpoints.

One more time....

If the border is not open, why would Biden need to "shut it down"?
                    If the Border was "under control", why would Biden need to get it "back under control"?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Have they made those apprehensions because they've become more effective under old Joe, or because so many more people are crossing the border under his policies?
                      Maybe it's because the Texas Military Department people are on the job!!!

(Actually, Abbott said that the crossings near those big orange deadly attack buoys had decreased from 7-8000 per week to an average of FIVE (individuals) per week)

Comment

Because more people are migrating, which has nothing to do with domestic policy and rather tracks with economic growth and regional/global conflict. The US economy has been high-growth during Biden's term and Latin American countries have seen high levels of conflict.

What folks are trying to do is say that Biden, who has routinely stressed restrictionist border policies, has pursued "open borders" while also overseeing record high apprehensions.

It's just rote nonsense, embarrassing to anyone who tries to find a factual throughline in the rhetoric.

-Sam

Comment

-Sam
                          A significant increase in apprehensions means that illegal border crossings are on the rise. It's similar to how police encounters always increase in areas that are overrun with crime. It's not a good thing.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Actually, Biden - in the statement I provided - was ceding the fact that the border is "out of control", or he wouldn't be talking about gettting it back under control, Sam...

Here, I'll show you a third time....

Why would Biden be talking about "getting it back under control" if it was already under control, Sam?

I don't think you really understand how this works, Sam - there are limited numbers of Border Agents, and there are fixed entry points, as you well know. If the Border Agents are processing OVER A MILLION just so far this FY, that means there are wide expanses of Border that are not manned.

PLEASE tell me Biden is not outright LYING when he says....

No, Sam -- the Border Agents themselves will tell you that an increased number of Apprehensions is due to an increased number of people coming across the Border, only a fraction of whom are actually intercepted.

Here's an article for you to ignore...

BORDER SECTOR CHIEFS CONFIRM OPERATIONAL IMPACTS OF BORDER CHAOS: INCREASED GOTAWAYS, CLOSED CHECKPOINTS, AND EMPOWERED CARTELS

There are NUMEROUS Border Patrol agents and chiefs answering questions about the chaos at the Border.

Here is just one...

Chief Patrol Agent Sean McGoffin, Big Bend Sector

Q: And how many encounters, if you know, did Big Bend have that month?

A: 5,050.

Q: And when you have 5,050 encounters, what does that look like in terms of strain on resources in the sector?

A: Well, I mean, the resources where we’re at, the difficulties, I think the real problem is looking at the where the majority of these entries were and then looking at the resources that were available. So we had to make changes there to make sure that we could adequately deal with that particular area, and we did so.

I think if you’re talking about strained resources, a lot of it has to do with the amount of people that are actually available in the area. We had to change our tactics. We had to be—we had to take advantage of the terrain and have operational advantage where we didn’t have it in the past.

It is very rough terrain, and agents would oftentimes—they would find an entry and they would track that entry out to wherever it was. And then if it was in the mountains, it would take more people to actually go and make sure that everybody got out safely and then returned back to the station.

When Border Agents are manning legitimate checkpoints, they are not out intercepting illegals who are coming across -- I know this is shocking - at places that are NOT legitimate checkpoints. And when they are "tracking" gotaways, they are not manning legitimate checkpoints.

One more time....

If the border is not open, why would Biden need to "shut it down"?
                            If the Border was "under control", why would Biden need to get it "back under control"?

I'm curious if anyone actually believes that old Joe will do anything whatsoever to alleviate the border crisis if he gets his Ukraine war fundi... er, "border bill" passed?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm curious if anyone actually believes that old Joe will do anything whatsoever to alleviate the border crisis if he gets his Ukraine war fundi... er, "border bill" passed?
                              He would have more money to sue the Border States?

Comment