Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Teenagers more likely to be mentally healthy if their parents are conservative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

The lead author is the principal economist at Gallup. Gallup regularly partners with other organizations for studies/analyses.

You're welcome to prove them wrong if you please.
    I'm content to place this on the pile of partisan-operated polling that I don't pay any attention to. If there's a useful, peer-reviewed study from an independent academic source, that'd be worth taking a look at. But this isn't "Gallup" in the sense that Gallup designed and conducted a polling study. This is "Gallup" in its consulting/name recognition role.

But the people waving this around will be the same people aggressively disputing actual peer-reviewed studies when it doesn't suit their interests and I recall at least some of these names being pretty active in the "unskewing" discussions back in the day so I doubt even failure to replicate would matter too much here.

-Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Yes I meant that daughter. Im happy to see she overcame it,
      A) I seriously doubt that
      2) I have written about this numerous times
      iii) You and Juvenal both seem to take some kind of sick sadistic pleasure in my family's trials.

but what went wrong with that conservative authoritarian upbringing that she got so messed up in the first place.
      It was probably me being too authoritarian, Jim --- and she rebelled.
      So many lessons we learn too late.

But the seed was planted, and there's actually a scriptural principle here....

Scripture Verse: Proverbs 22:6

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

© Copyright Original Source

She had a solid foundation of Faith, and like the Prodigal Son, she came back home to it. (Doesn't say he won't drift in the meantime)

As a matter of fact, during the time where we often didn't even know if she was alive (because we wouldn't hear from her for 3 - 6 months at a time) we prayed that she would "come to herself".

This is from Luke 15:17 where it says the rebellious son "came to himself" -- that is, he recognized the error of his ways and came back to his father.

I will never forget the day I got the phone call from my daughter asking, "Dad, can I please come home?"

You mother wants this of you, Jim --- you know that. So, what happened to you/

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

I'm content to place this on the pile of partisan-operated polling that I don't pay any attention to. If there's a useful, peer-reviewed study from an independent academic source, that'd be worth taking a look at. But this isn't "Gallup" in the sense that Gallup designed and conducted a polling study. This is "Gallup" in its consulting/name recognition role.

But the people waving this around will be the same people aggressively disputing actual peer-reviewed studies when it doesn't suit their interests and I recall at least some of these names being pretty active in the "unskewing" discussions back in the day so I doubt even failure to replicate would matter too much here.

-Sam
        IOW, it says something that makes you uncomfortable so you will well poison and dismiss it instead of showing what they got wrong, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

IOW, it says something that makes you uncomfortable so you will well poison and dismiss it instead of showing what they got wrong, etc.
          No one here has been stupid enough to suggest that they accept as true every poll or study that has Gallup's name attached and I don't assume anyone here is that stupid. So why is the study being taken seriously when it hasn't met the bare minimum standard of even being submitted and accepted for peer review? This isn't a pre-print.

So the people who are waving it around aren't doing it because it's peer-reviewed literature and they aren't doing it because they think economists are unnaturally authoritative on sociological studies. They're doing it because they like the toplines and the headline.

I don't see any reason I should spend my time finding and explaining the flaws in a study whose author doesn't even seem to think it's fit for a real journal. And I don't see much benefit in the effort on a forum where the vast majority of folks here don't even see peer-reviewed literature as more authoritative than say-so.

-Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A) I seriously doubt that
            2) I have written about this numerous times
            iii) You and Juvenal both seem to take some kind of sick sadistic pleasure in my family's trials.

It was probably me being too authoritarian, Jim --- and she rebelled.
            So many lessons we learn too late.

But the seed was planted, and there's actually a scriptural principle here....

Scripture Verse: Proverbs 22:6

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

© Copyright Original Source

She had a solid foundation of Faith, and like the Prodigal Son, she came back home to it. (Doesn't say he won't drift in the meantime)

As a matter of fact, during the time where we often didn't even know if she was alive (because we wouldn't hear from her for 3 - 6 months at a time) we prayed that she would "come to herself".

This is from Luke 15:17 where it says the rebellious son "came to himself" -- that is, he recognized the error of his ways and came back to his father.

I will never forget the day I got the phone call from my daughter asking, "Dad, can I please come home?"

You mother wants this of you, Jim --- you know that. So, what happened to you/
            I don't get any sick sadistic pleasure from your families travails CP, I brought it up because it is of the subject matter at hand and you brought it up yourself many times so obviously it's not something your not willing to talk about.

I just brought it up as an example to show that the IFS study, as some interpret it, is nonsense. Even the labeling of parents as either conservative or liberal is bs. Conservative or liberal with respect to what? You can't just fit people snuggly into categories as if they all think and act the same with regard to everything. Liberal or conservative in the context presented has only to do with parenting, not with political leanings.
            Last edited by JimL; 12-09-2023, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              I don't get any sick sadistic pleasure from your families travails CP, I brought it up because it is of the subject matter at hand and you brought it up yourself many times so obviously it's not something your not willing to talk about.
              You kinda left out the part where she's a very joyous and effective Christian, Jim. And I actually LOVE to talk about the victories in her life - I just don't like gutless little s dishonoring her.

I just brought it up as an example to show that the IFS study, as some interpret it, is nonsense.
              A) you showed no such thing
              2) you just showed what a pathetic little jerk you can be
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You kinda left out the part where she's a very joyous and effective Christian, Jim. And I actually LOVE to talk about the victories in her life - I just don't like gutless little s dishonoring her.

A) you showed no such thing
                2) you just showed what a pathetic little jerk you can be
                Go jump in a lake you whiney little baby. If I wanted to dishonor your daughter I would have. Your daughter obviously was resilient enough to overcome your poor parenting skills you ignorant donkey!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

So conservative families are less likely to engage in substance abuse, and other negative behaviors...got it...
                  Don't be thick.
                  I agree that conservative kids a more likely to be mentally healthy.
                  Poorer kids are much more likely to suffer from mental health problems.
                  And sure, some to resort to false relief in the effects of various drugs.
                  There's a news article about just that on BBC news today.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I think it is more complex. I read through the report last night, well the early hours of today my time, and found the "conservative/liberal" tag somewhat vague. As far as our own childrearing went we would have fitted several of both the "conservative" and the "liberal" definitions of behaviour/attitude in that study.

And I suspect we are not unique in that regard.

I would also add that all three of our sons are quite mentally well adjusted young men, insofar as anyone might be of course!.
                    I don't imagine that your sons were disadvantaged. A BBC report today shows that there is a growing hap between the Haves and Have-nots .... poorer homes, freedoms, advantages etc.
                    I wonder if all this might be shown in suicide stats, or calls to Childline?

Comment

Three boys raised by two lesbian women - right, well adjusted...
                      Why would they not be?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Why would they not be?
                        Because children need fathers.

https://earthweb.com/fatherless-homes-statistics/
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Don't be thick.
                          I agree that conservative kids a more likely to be mentally healthy.
                          Poorer kids are much more likely to suffer from mental health problems.
                          And sure, some to resort to false relief in the effects of various drugs.
                          There's a news article about just that on BBC news today.
                          But the distinction in the poll was not about poor or rich:

The key driver is parents who have an “authoritative” style that combines “affection and attentiveness to children’s needs with structure and requirements for pro-social, responsible behavior.”

In contrast, liberal parents are more likely to have a permissive parenting style and “are the least likely to successfully discipline their children.”
                          The key seems to be about discipline, not finances...
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

So you would be quite happy for two gay men to rear children?

Those children would have two fathers!
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Ah so you would be quite happy for two gay men to rear children?

Those children would have two fathers!
                              Nope, they need both mothers and fathers. Did your boys have their fathers in their lives?

Comment

Nope, they need both mothers and fathers. Did your boys have their fathers in their lives?
                                They lived perfectly ordinary lives. They mixed with the families of their schoolfriends, had male teachers and also had, and still have, their fair share of male relatives and our male friends.

Or do you imagine we raised them in some sort of lesbian "bubble"?
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment