Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World leaders again taking jets to global climate change summit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

    They can never give you even a hint of a cost / benefits analysis - it's all about emotions and fear. Just - shut up and fork over the money or the earth will be dead in x years.
    The usual figure is 10 years, which is just near enough to seem imminent, but far enough away that most people will have forgotten the original prediction by the time the supposed "point of no return" arrives.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

      The usual figure is 10 years, which is just near enough to seem imminent, but far enough away that most people will have forgotten the original prediction by the time the supposed "point of no return" arrives.
      Doesn't take long, though, for....

      boy who cried wolf.png
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        My wife drives a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid and LOVES it --- but electric vehicles? No.
        I never want to give up my manual everything 2000 Toyota Echo. I just can't imagine that any car today crammed full of servos and complex electronics will still be running 23 years from now.

        Another thing that is is often not taken into account when discussing the price of electric vehicles -- and even hybrids -- is the high cost of battery replacement in five to ten years, not to mention that there's no environmentally friendly way to dispose of depleted cells.
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-11-2023, 10:24 AM.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God


        From "Fools Gold" by Petra

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

          I never want to give up my manual everything 2000 Toyota Echo. I just can't imagine that any car today crammed full of servos and complex electronics will still be running 23 years from now.

          Another thing that is is often not taken into account when discussing the price of electric vehicles -- and even hybrids -- is the high cost of battery replacement in five to ten years, not to mention that there's no environmentally friendly way to dispose of depleted cells.
          No argument whatsoever -- I used to rebuild engines "back in the day", and it was pretty simple to diagnose problems -- you had to have fuel, air, and "fire".
          Today? I can't even guess what a lot of that stuff is under the hood.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

            No argument whatsoever -- I used to rebuild engines "back in the day", and it was pretty simple to diagnose problems -- you had to have fuel, air, and "fire".
            Today? I can't even guess what a lot of that stuff is under the hood.
            I never could work on engines beyond changing the battery or filters, but as things get more computerized and electric I will probably become an expert Auto Technician!

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Sparko View Post

              I never could work on engines beyond changing the battery or filters, but as things get more computerized and electric I will probably become an expert Auto Technician!
              Repair shops of the future will be technical support call centers where customers will be instructed to install the latest software updates and then reboot their cars.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God


              From "Fools Gold" by Petra

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                Heard a report years ago that US recycling companies ship tons of garbage to China, and China just dumps it in the ocean.
                China tends to either dump it in the ocean or bury it in landfills.

                Do you know who funds most of these recycling companies? The same people who own the oil industry. Most plastics are made from oil.

                Now, the concepts of reducing consumption, reusing products, and recycling aren't bad ideas but the version most people use just makes things worse.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by seanD View Post

                  The only argument I've seen of this "anti-climate change propaganda funding" cabal that has any weight is the left's favorite go-to boogieman Koch. I've not seen any evidence of "big oil," for example, funding this, in spite of their assertions to the contrary. I've only seen visible evidence that these companies are fully on board the green movement agenda. As I said, maybe in some cases it's greenwashing, but I've not seen evidence to the contrary.
                  They certainly funded a lot of the denial in the past. I don't see any reason to think that they have stopped. This looks like a repeat of what happened with recycling. The plastic industry, owned and supplied by oil companies, funded "environmentalist groups" that put out a lot of propaganda. They have set things up so that no matter what happens, they still win.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                    No argument whatsoever -- I used to rebuild engines "back in the day", and it was pretty simple to diagnose problems -- you had to have fuel, air, and "fire".
                    Today? I can't even guess what a lot of that stuff is under the hood.
                    In an era of where merely replacing a battery in some cars now requires a mechanic...

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      In an era of where merely replacing a battery in some cars now requires a mechanic...
                      Yeah, my wife's Hybrid -- the battery is in the very rear compartment only accessible by the rear hatchback.
                      Problem is - the rear hatchback can ONLY be opened electrically, which requires the battery not be dead.

                      $90 for towing - $200 for a new battery, and she's good to go again.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                        Yeah, my wife's Hybrid -- the battery is in the very rear compartment only accessible by the rear hatchback.
                        Problem is - the rear hatchback can ONLY be opened electrically, which requires the battery not be dead.

                        $90 for towing - $200 for a new battery, and she's good to go again.
                        FWIU replacing the battery in a Prius yourself is not recommended.

                        I'm always still in trouble again

                        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.patriotpost.us%2F01HHCN4ZA20WPBTS0P6Z334548.jpeg%3Fw%3D1200&t=1702315865&ymreqid=6b5067dc-3abb-965c-1c81-d103ca01df00&sig=U3haELxhHhfVUbacKlrbyg--~D.jpg
                          Attached Files
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                            Repair shops of the future will be technical support call centers where customers will be instructed to install the latest software updates and then reboot their cars.
                            Hello, I am from your Car Manufacturer's technical support. We have noticed that your car needs an important update or it will stop working! Please send me your banking account info and your car's login information and we will not only fix your car but deposit $10,000 into your bank account!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                              Hello, I am from your Car Manufacturer's technical support. We have noticed that your car needs an important update or it will stop working! Please send me your banking account info and your car's login information and we will not only fix your car but deposit $10,000 into your bank account!
                              Prince of Nigeria Auto Repairs

                              I'm always still in trouble again

                              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Juvenal, Today, 06:40 AM
                              2 responses
                              19 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by seer, Yesterday, 05:22 PM
                              10 responses
                              58 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by seer, 02-26-2024, 02:20 PM
                              28 responses
                              231 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Hypatia_Alexandria  
                              Started by seer, 02-26-2024, 12:29 PM
                              29 responses
                              153 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Hypatia_Alexandria  
                              Started by Cow Poke, 02-24-2024, 11:39 AM
                              61 responses
                              327 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Juvenal
                              by Juvenal
                               
                              Working...
                              X