Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SOTH: Divinely Appointed to Historic Mission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

If a Christian is living right, it will be impossible for him not to mix religion with all other pursuits in his life.
    Nothing in the New Testament suggests use of the State to conform the world to God's standard and teachings and that goes for both liberal and conservative Christians.

[QUOTE{As for Moses was prohibited from enter the Promised Land because he disobeyed God.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps Johnson skipped that day in Sunday School.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

A religious nanny state is still a nanny state.
      Do you think the US was a nanny state 70-80 years ago? For most of our history?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Where does he say that "God verbally appointed him for something"? You do realize that when a Christian says that God is speaking to them, it does not (typically) mean they are hearing something audible. I have had occasions in my life where a very specific thought suddenly popped into my head that I knew beyond any doubt was from God. I could easily put those thoughts into words, and I would describe it as God speaking to me even though it wasn't a verbal revelation.
        yeah
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nothing in the New Testament suggests use of the State to conform the world to God's standard and teachings and that goes for both liberal and conservative Christians.

Perhaps Johnson skipped that day in Sunday School.
          The Bible also doesn't say that we shouldn't let our faith influence government policy.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Do you think the US was a nanny state 70-80 years ago? For most of our history?
            Restricting liberty solely ok religious grounds would constitute a nanny state.
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Restricting liberty solely ok religious grounds would constitute a nanny state.
              So you could have the same restrictions, but secular, and that would be ok?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

[QUOTE=seer;n1542642]

High praise indeed! I'm blushing....

Yep, it is high praise indeed for a Christian nationalist, fanatic, theocracy type. But coming from one who believes in democracy and the separation of the state from all religions, it was not meant as praise of course. But you're welcome.

Comment

So you could have the same restrictions, but secular, and that would be ok?
                  Blasphemy laws unnecessarily restrict liberty, even if Denmark is prepping to cave into Islamists. As do Sabbath laws. If gay men want to have sex and risk getting HIV or monekypox, that's their business, not the State's.
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Why? Obviously it came to pass...
                    Well because, just like you seeing a fern suspended in thin air during your walk through the woods, Speaker Johnson is delusional if he thinks the voice in his head is God speaking to him. I wonder if he thinks it's God voice everytime he talks to himself? I wonder how he differentiates one voice in his head from the other?
                    Btw, did you ever figure out what God was trying to tell you by suspending that fern in the air? And what did you do with that fern? I never did ask you that.
                    Last edited by JimL; 12-07-2023, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Where does he say that "God verbally appointed him for something"? You do realize that when a Christian says that God is speaking to them, it does not (typically) mean they are hearing something audible. I have had occasions in my life where a very specific thought suddenly popped into my head that I knew beyond any doubt was from God. I could easily put those thoughts into words, and I would describe it as God speaking to me even though it wasn't a verbal revelation.
                      If you’re convinced of the appointment, it’s immaterial whether it’s audible or not. If your feelings interpret your thoughts as instructive words, it doesn’t matter if you heard something with your ears or your brain.

Comment

Well the fact that he won goes a long way, I mean really, think back, he wasn't even on anyone's radar. Not that I think he is a new Moses.
                        Yes, but does that really mean divine intervention?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

If you’re convinced of the appointment, it’s immaterial whether it’s audible or not. If your feelings interpret your thoughts as instructive words, it doesn’t matter if you heard something with your ears or your brain.
                          So you're backing away from your assertion that Johnson closing to have heard a verbal utterance from God?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

yeah
                            The original Rolling Stones article had more detail, including this:

“Look, I’m a Southern Baptist, I don’t wanna get too spooky on you,” he said, provoking some laughter from the attendees. “But, you know, the Lord speaks to your heart.”

But later the article quotes him using language that could easily be interpreted as an actual verbal conversation.

“Ultimately 13 people ran for the post. And the Lord kept telling me to, ‘Wait, wait, wait,’” Johnson recalled. “So I waited, I waited. And then at the end … the Lord said, ‘Now step forward.’” Johnson regaled the audience with his surprise to be tapped as the Moses figure: “Me?” Johnson said. “I’m supposed to be Aaron.” But that was not the message, Johnson insisted, recalling: “‘No,’ the Lord said, ‘Step forward.’”

Now, I don't believe he meant a literal verbal conversation. It's clear from other of his quoted comments he thought that the fact that it was media-free (and was apparently somehow unaware the NACL was live-streaming it) meant he could safely speak colloquially.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Yeah but I also think that Christians speaking like that, even though they don't mean it literally is wrong. If God didn't literally speak to you don't say "God spoke to me" or "Gods said to me...." - You can say "I felt that God wanted me to do...." which is more true.

When I was a fresh Christian, I was in a church where everyone spoke like God was right there talking to them out loud and I can tell you I felt like "what's wrong with me? Why don't I hear God talking to me?" and to make it worse, I was in a bible study group based on Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God, and one of the lessons was based on John 8:47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.

I think such language and such lessons are dangerous to new Christians, and makes Christians look like nutcases who hear voices.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                                What an absolute cultish whackjob. Clearly some sort of schizophrenia to boot, hearing the voices in his heard.
                                It is just a type of "Christian jargon/cliches" - see my post above. I think it needs to stop because people hearing it think just like you do.

Comment