Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

You Yanks must be so proud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post

You need to send a strongly worded letter!
    Perhaps peppered some bolding and superfluous capitalization of whole words?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

What I'm wondering is why a foreigner is so bent on pushing gun control in my country.
      Same reason she's relentlessly attacking Christianity -- she has nothing better to do.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

What I'm wondering is why a foreigner is so bent on pushing gun control in my country.
        It is no different from your compatriots commenting on events in foreign countries.

There are also plenty of Americans who would like to see some gun control in your country.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          It is no different from your compatriots commenting on events in foreign countries.
          Yes, it actually is different. I don't tell you - or any of our other ferreners - how to run your respective countries.

There are also plenty of Americans who would like to see some gun control in your country.
          Yes, we are plagued with idiots. But I defend their right to be so!

Comment

There's a big difference commenting on things in foreign countries and pushing laws there. I don't recall anyone even commenting on German politics recently, much less pushing laws there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yes, we are plagued with idiots. But I defend their right to be so!
              Would you tell the parents whose children have been killed in some of these mass shootings and who are campaigning for gun control that they are part of the USA's "plague of idiots"? It is obviously what you believe.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You have broken your own record.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gs-record-year

A series of murders over the weekend have propelled the United States to a grisly new record: the most recorded mass shootings in a year.

Two attacks on Sunday occurring within a couple of hours of each other in Texas and Washington state were the year’s 37th and 38th mass shootings. Authorities believe a murder-suicide was responsible for the death of five family members in Vancouver, a suburb of Portland, Oregon, just across the border in Washington, while in Dallas a 21-year-old with a previous aggravated assault charge shot five people in a house, including a toddler.

It is the highest number of mass shootings in any year since at least 2006, breaking the previous record of 36, reached last year.

Another attack occurred on Sunday in New York City, when a 38-year-old man stabbed four of his relatives – including two children – as well as another woman and two police officers before they shot him. That was the country’s 41st mass killing of 2023, according to an Associated Press database.

At least 203 people have died this year in mass killings, defined as incidents in which four or more people have died, not including the killer. The FBI uses a similar definition.

Despite the media attention they attract, most mass shootings do not happen in public spaces, with at least 26 of this year’s 38 happening in private homes or shelters, according to the Washington Post.

Different groups count mass shootings and killings in different ways. Some, such as the Gun Violence Archive, include events in which multiple people are shot regardless of number of deaths, and so report much higher figures. Its tally for the year is 630 mass shootings.

Mass shooting deaths dropped in 2020 during the Covid pandemic to 21, but have since rebounded to a new record.

The Fourth of July long weekend was overshadowed by 16 shootings in which 15 people were killed and nearly 100 injured.

But the deadliest attack of 2023 happened in Lewiston, Maine, on 25 October when an army reservist murdered 18 people in a bowling alley and a bar. Previously the year’s worst attack had been in January when a man shot 11 people in Monterey Park, California, with a semi-automatic rifle during a Lunar New Year celebration.

Why you keep permitting this state of affairs to continue remains a mystery to many of us.

And I read this morning that yet another shooting has occurred at the University of Nevada leaving three dead and one wounded.

I suppose there is nothing like seeing the year out with a bang!
                A murder suicide in a home isn't what most people would think of when they think "mass shooting". I wonder what other cases they've used to get that number are similarly not the typical things one thinks of for such mass shootings.

I am proud though of our 2nd Amendment which people use tens to hundreds of thousands of times per year to successfully defend themselves against criminals that mean to do them harm.

Comment

Would you tell the parents whose children have been killed in some of these mass shootings and who are campaigning for gun control that they are part of the USA's "plague of idiots"?
                  It would not surprise me if you thought that would be appropriate, but I certainly do not.

It is obviously what you believe.
                  You really are a vile little critter.

Comment

It would not surprise me if you thought that would be appropriate, but I certainly do not.
                    I made no mention of what I deemed appropriate. I responded to what you wrote.

If you sincerely believe that America is "plagued with idiots" who campaign for gun control why would you dissemble to bereaved parents who were involved in such a campaign?

Would it not be rather hypocritical?

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I made no mention of what I deemed appropriate. I responded to what you wrote.

If you sincerely believe that America is "plagued with idiots" who campaign for gun control why would you dissemble to bereaved parents who were involved in such a campaign?

Would it not be rather hypocritical?
                      You make the idiot assumption that, because we are plagued with idiots who campaign for gun control, that anybody who campaigns for gun control must be an idiot.

Comment

You make the idiot assumption that, because we are plagued with idiots who campaign for gun control, that anybody who campaigns for gun control must be an idiot.

I made no assumption. I merely cited what you wrote.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Are the USA's woes entirely the product of "liberal" thinking?
                          For the most part, yes.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I made no assumption. I merely cited what you wrote.
                            wrong.gif

Comment

OK, when I grew up this was a much more conservative country and firearms were actually easier to get and we had many fewer mass shootings. As the country got more liberal mass shootings went up...
                              Kids brought WWII pistols to school for show and tell.

Those in the school's shooting club carried rifles to school on the bus on Fridays.

Those things happened back when I was in skewl.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Why yes, I am proud of our Second Amendment freedoms, sad that lawless people use that freedom for harming others.
                                The Second Amendment right to bear arms is conditional on the necessity of a well regulated militia to ensure State security.

Nowadays it is redundant and you cannot separate love of guns from love of death.

God hates your guns:

He shall judge between the nations, and shall arbitrate for many peoples; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. –
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment