Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

You Yanks must be so proud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Yanks must be so proud

You have broken your own record.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gs-record-year

A series of murders over the weekend have propelled the United States to a grisly new record: the most recorded mass shootings in a year.

Two attacks on Sunday occurring within a couple of hours of each other in Texas and Washington state were the year’s 37th and 38th mass shootings. Authorities believe a murder-suicide was responsible for the death of five family members in Vancouver, a suburb of Portland, Oregon, just across the border in Washington, while in Dallas a 21-year-old with a previous aggravated assault charge shot five people in a house, including a toddler.

It is the highest number of mass shootings in any year since at least 2006, breaking the previous record of 36, reached last year.

Another attack occurred on Sunday in New York City, when a 38-year-old man stabbed four of his relatives – including two children – as well as another woman and two police officers before they shot him. That was the country’s 41st mass killing of 2023, according to an Associated Press database.

At least 203 people have died this year in mass killings, defined as incidents in which four or more people have died, not including the killer. The FBI uses a similar definition.

Despite the media attention they attract, most mass shootings do not happen in public spaces, with at least 26 of this year’s 38 happening in private homes or shelters, according to the Washington Post.

Different groups count mass shootings and killings in different ways. Some, such as the Gun Violence Archive, include events in which multiple people are shot regardless of number of deaths, and so report much higher figures. Its tally for the year is 630 mass shootings.

Mass shooting deaths dropped in 2020 during the Covid pandemic to 21, but have since rebounded to a new record.

The Fourth of July long weekend was overshadowed by 16 shootings in which 15 people were killed and nearly 100 injured.

But the deadliest attack of 2023 happened in Lewiston, Maine, on 25 October when an army reservist murdered 18 people in a bowling alley and a bar. Previously the year’s worst attack had been in January when a man shot 11 people in Monterey Park, California, with a semi-automatic rifle during a Lunar New Year celebration.

Why you keep permitting this state of affairs to continue remains a mystery to many of us.

And I read this morning that yet another shooting has occurred at the University of Nevada leaving three dead and one wounded.

I suppose there is nothing like seeing the year out with a bang!

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Why yes, I am proud of our Second Amendment freedoms, sad that lawless people use that freedom for harming others.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Why you keep permitting this state of affairs to continue remains a mystery to many of us.
      I told them to knock it off, but criminals have a tendency to do their own thing.

Comment

Chicago is at 537 gun fatalities for the year with most of them being black, not a peep. I guess Chicago black lives don't matter. 203 people is hardly a large amount of people, especially considering how many guns are in the US. I take it you think pregnant women shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves.

Pregnant Florida woman uses AR-15 to fatally shoot armed intruder
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I told them to knock it off, but criminals have a tendency to do their own thing.
          You need to send a strongly worded letter!
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Leave it to HA to celebrate murders

Comment

A series of murders over the weekend have propelled the United States to a grisly new record: the most recorded mass shootings in a year.

Two attacks on Sunday occurring within a couple of hours of each other in Texas and Washington state were the year’s 37th and 38th mass shootings. Authorities believe a murder-suicide was responsible for the death of five family members in Vancouver, a suburb of Portland, Oregon, just across the border in Washington, while in Dallas a 21-year-old with a previous aggravated assault charge shot five people in a house, including a toddler.

It is the highest number of mass shootings in any year since at least 2006, breaking the previous record of 36, reached last year.

Another attack occurred on Sunday in New York City, when a 38-year-old man stabbed four of his relatives – including two children – as well as another woman and two police officers before they shot him. That was the country’s 41st mass killing of 2023, according to an Associated Press database.

At least 203 people have died this year in mass killings, defined as incidents in which four or more people have died, not including the killer. The FBI uses a similar definition.

Despite the media attention they attract, most mass shootings do not happen in public spaces, with at least 26 of this year’s 38 happening in private homes or shelters, according to the Washington Post.

Different groups count mass shootings and killings in different ways. Some, such as the Gun Violence Archive, include events in which multiple people are shot regardless of number of deaths, and so report much higher figures. Its tally for the year is 630 mass shootings.

Mass shooting deaths dropped in 2020 during the Covid pandemic to 21, but have since rebounded to a new record.

The Fourth of July long weekend was overshadowed by 16 shootings in which 15 people were killed and nearly 100 injured.

But the deadliest attack of 2023 happened in Lewiston, Maine, on 25 October when an army reservist murdered 18 people in a bowling alley and a bar. Previously the year’s worst attack had been in January when a man shot 11 people in Monterey Park, California, with a semi-automatic rifle during a Lunar New Year celebration.

And I read this morning that yet another shooting has occurred at the University of Nevada leaving three dead and one wounded.

It's your ideological compatriots who do brilliant things like defund the police, close nearly all the mental institutions, and remove God from school who can be thanked for all this. When you remove moral restraint, refuse to lock up the mentally unstable and decline to enforce the law, this is what you get.

I appreciate how they headline with mass shootings, but slip in a knife-wielder and the Fourth of July numbers which don't meet their own definition just to pad the horror, though.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                Chicago is at 537 gun fatalities for the year with most of them being black, not a peep. I guess Chicago black lives don't matter. 203 people is hardly a large amount of people, especially considering how many guns are in the US. I take it you think pregnant women shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves.

Pregnant Florida woman uses AR-15 to fatally shoot armed intruder
                Chicago is to be dutifully ignored for two reasons.

A. It is mostly black on black violence and that dilutes the message that white supremacy is the culprit for so many blacks getting murdered.

2) Chicago has enacted some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. The sort the left wants to see put in place nationwide. Having such a high rate of gun violence in this liberal mecca contradicts the narrative that strict gun control is the solution and therefore must be ignored.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  It's your ideological compatriots who do brilliant things like defund the police, close nearly all the mental institutions, and remove God from school who can be thanked for all this. When you remove moral restraint, refuse to lock up the mentally unstable and decline to enforce the law, this is what you get.

I appreciate how they headline with mass shootings, but slip in a knife-wielder and the Fourth of July numbers which don't meet their own definition just to pad the horror, though.
                  On please! Are the USA's woes entirely the product of "liberal" thinking? As I understand it the concern over mental institutions was in part the result of various scandals. I also understand that the recent calls to defund the police were not what you appear to be alleging they were.

You appear to be engaging in popular psychology i.e. blame everyone else.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

On please! Are the USA's woes entirely the product of "liberal" thinking? As I understand it the concern over mental institutions was in part the result of various scandals. I also understand that the recent calls to defund the police were not what you appear to be alleging they were.

You appear to be engaging in popular psychology i.e. blame everyone else.
                    OK, when I grew up this was a much more conservative country and firearms were actually easier to get and we had many fewer mass shootings. As the country got more liberal mass shootings went up...

Comment

What I'm wondering is why a foreigner is so bent on pushing gun control in my country.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        What I'm wondering is why a foreigner is so bent on pushing gun control in my country.
                        I think the timing of this particular thread is in response to You Brits Must Be Embarrassed...

She wants to respond to American criticism of the government of an authoritarian European country, to crime statistics in America. Something of an apples-and-oranges thing.

Comment

Something of an apples-and-oranges thing.
                          Correct, we are speaking of expanding a freedom in our case, and limiting a freedom in another case.

Comment

I think the timing of this particular thread is in response to You Brits Must Be Embarrassed...

She wants to respond to American criticism of the government of an authoritarian European country, to crime statistics in America. Something of an apples-and-oranges thing.
                            Assuming a person's parents were deceased and they didn't reciprocate, it would be illegal in Germany to say:

"You mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries"

Section 189
                            Defiling memory of dead

Whoever defiles the memory of a deceased person incurs a penalty of imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or a fine.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Ah, another anti-gun screed!!! It's about time.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment