Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Chinese biolab in California

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chinese biolab in California

    Nothing to see here....

    Source: Patriot Post

    In December 2022, an illegal Chinese-owned biolab in Reedley, California, was discovered when city code enforcement officer Jesalyn Harper noted a garden hose protruding from a supposedly unoccupied warehouse. When Ms. Harper first inspected the building, she found numerous building code violations and three employees from the People’s Republic of China (PRC). Ms. Harper reported the case to Fresno County and the FBI.

    In March 2023, the FBI informed Harper that it had closed its investigation because the “Bureau believed that there were no weapons of mass destruction on the property.”

    Local officials then obtained an inspection warrant and searched the warehouse. They found blood and tissue samples and other biological materials, raising fears of possible pathogens. The warehouse also housed nearly 1,000 lab mice, which lab workers said were designed to catch and carry the COVID-19 virus.

    The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) hung up and ignored repeated telephone calls for help from Fresno officials. Only when Congressman Jim Costa (D-CA) called did the CDC finally inspect the building in May. It detected at least 20 potentially infectious agents, such as HIV, COVID-19, chlamydia, TB, rubella, and malaria, based only on reading container labels. Unbelievably, the CDC did not test the pathogens even though city officials offered to pay for the tests. Furthermore, the CDC left a freezer with ebola in it.

    The illegal and unregistered lab in California was owned by Jia Bei “Jesse” Zhu, who entered the U.S. under the alias of Qiang “David” He in 2021. Zhu had been a top official in a CCP state-controlled company with links to military-civil fusion entities. The illegal lab received more than $1.3 million in unexplained wire transfers from PRC banks.

    Prestige Biotech (PB), a Chinese medical company registered in Nevada, was operating the illegal facility in Reedley. It had assumed the assets from defunct Universal Meditech as a creditor. Authorities were unable to locate any California business addresses associated with PB. Other addresses provided by PB were either empty offices or were located in China.

    Not only was Zhu operating in the U.S. under an alias, but he was also a fugitive from Canada with a $330 million judgment for stealing American intellectual property on cattle breeding technologies. He was arrested in October 2023 for “manufacturing and distributing misbranded medical devices and for making false statements to the Food and Drug Administration.”

    © Copyright Original Source



    No word on why the FBI and CDC were profoundly disinterested in investigating an illegal biolab chock full of infectious diseases run by the ChiComs in one of the most heavily regulated states in the nation.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  • #2
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Nothing to see here....

    Source: Patriot Post

    In December 2022, an illegal Chinese-owned biolab in Reedley, California, was discovered when city code enforcement officer Jesalyn Harper noted a garden hose protruding from a supposedly unoccupied warehouse. When Ms. Harper first inspected the building, she found numerous building code violations and three employees from the People’s Republic of China (PRC). Ms. Harper reported the case to Fresno County and the FBI.

    In March 2023, the FBI informed Harper that it had closed its investigation because the “Bureau believed that there were no weapons of mass destruction on the property.”

    Local officials then obtained an inspection warrant and searched the warehouse. They found blood and tissue samples and other biological materials, raising fears of possible pathogens. The warehouse also housed nearly 1,000 lab mice, which lab workers said were designed to catch and carry the COVID-19 virus.

    The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) hung up and ignored repeated telephone calls for help from Fresno officials. Only when Congressman Jim Costa (D-CA) called did the CDC finally inspect the building in May. It detected at least 20 potentially infectious agents, such as HIV, COVID-19, chlamydia, TB, rubella, and malaria, based only on reading container labels. Unbelievably, the CDC did not test the pathogens even though city officials offered to pay for the tests. Furthermore, the CDC left a freezer with ebola in it.

    The illegal and unregistered lab in California was owned by Jia Bei “Jesse” Zhu, who entered the U.S. under the alias of Qiang “David” He in 2021. Zhu had been a top official in a CCP state-controlled company with links to military-civil fusion entities. The illegal lab received more than $1.3 million in unexplained wire transfers from PRC banks.

    Prestige Biotech (PB), a Chinese medical company registered in Nevada, was operating the illegal facility in Reedley. It had assumed the assets from defunct Universal Meditech as a creditor. Authorities were unable to locate any California business addresses associated with PB. Other addresses provided by PB were either empty offices or were located in China.

    Not only was Zhu operating in the U.S. under an alias, but he was also a fugitive from Canada with a $330 million judgment for stealing American intellectual property on cattle breeding technologies. He was arrested in October 2023 for “manufacturing and distributing misbranded medical devices and for making false statements to the Food and Drug Administration.”

    © Copyright Original Source



    No word on why the FBI and CDC were profoundly disinterested in investigating an illegal biolab chock full of infectious diseases run by the ChiComs in one of the most heavily regulated states in the nation.
    The mice were being used to culture antibodies for test kits and, as such, were not infectious:

    Source: An illicit, Chinese-owned lab fueled conspiracy theories. But officials say it posed no danger. Olga R. Rodriguez. Associated Press. 2023.08.09

    But the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said there was no sign that the lab was illegally in possession of the materials or had select agents or toxins that could be used as bioweapons.

    “CDC has taken no further action in this matter,” the agency said in an email to The Associated Press, referring further questions to county and state officials.

    After company representatives stopped communicating with city and county officials, they got a court order to shut down the operation, euthanized the mice and cleaned the biological materials. Officials thought that would be the end of it.

    Then on July 25, the Mid Valley Times, a local online news outlet, published a story about the lab that quoted court documents saying a representative of Prestige Biotech, which makes pregnancy and coronavirus tests sold online, told officials in March that the mice had been genetically modified to catch and carry the virus that causes COVID-19.

    That was likely a miscommunication by Prestige Biotech representative Wang Zhaolin, whose English is not perfect, Harper said.

    “She stated that the mice were bred, and then she hesitated and said they were modified to carry COVID,” Harper said Zhaolin told her and other officials. After the lab was shut down, she added, Wang stopped cooperating with them.

    Wang’s comment prompted Reedley authorities to hire Nina Hahn, a vet formerly contracted by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, to examine the mice. Hahn found they had not been injected with any infectious agent and were simply used to grow COVID-19 antibody cells to make testing kits. She also determined they were not subjected to experimentation, Harper said.

    © Copyright Original Source



    Note that this is a story that broke in early August: Patriot Post is a bit late to the game.

    A list of recalled test kits (for COVID-19, pregnancy, and other medical tests) can be found here; I am unfamiliar with DiagnosUS and imagine the affected units ran in a limited market.

    -Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sam View Post

      The mice were being used to culture antibodies for test kits and, as such, were not infectious:

      Source: An illicit, Chinese-owned lab fueled conspiracy theories. But officials say it posed no danger. Olga R. Rodriguez. Associated Press. 2023.08.09

      But the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said there was no sign that the lab was illegally in possession of the materials or had select agents or toxins that could be used as bioweapons.

      “CDC has taken no further action in this matter,” the agency said in an email to The Associated Press, referring further questions to county and state officials.

      After company representatives stopped communicating with city and county officials, they got a court order to shut down the operation, euthanized the mice and cleaned the biological materials. Officials thought that would be the end of it.

      Then on July 25, the Mid Valley Times, a local online news outlet, published a story about the lab that quoted court documents saying a representative of Prestige Biotech, which makes pregnancy and coronavirus tests sold online, told officials in March that the mice had been genetically modified to catch and carry the virus that causes COVID-19.

      That was likely a miscommunication by Prestige Biotech representative Wang Zhaolin, whose English is not perfect, Harper said.

      “She stated that the mice were bred, and then she hesitated and said they were modified to carry COVID,” Harper said Zhaolin told her and other officials. After the lab was shut down, she added, Wang stopped cooperating with them.

      Wang’s comment prompted Reedley authorities to hire Nina Hahn, a vet formerly contracted by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, to examine the mice. Hahn found they had not been injected with any infectious agent and were simply used to grow COVID-19 antibody cells to make testing kits. She also determined they were not subjected to experimentation, Harper said.

      © Copyright Original Source



      Note that this is a story that broke in early August: Patriot Post is a bit late to the game.

      A list of recalled test kits (for COVID-19, pregnancy, and other medical tests) can be found here; I am unfamiliar with DiagnosUS and imagine the affected units ran in a limited market.

      -Sam
      None of that even remotely addresses the fact it contained hazardous material, was linked to China, and that it was apparently operating illegally in our country, nor the fact the CDC ignored it at first. Unless you were presenting some sort of deflection from all that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by seanD View Post

        None of that even remotely addresses the fact it contained hazardous material, was linked to China, and that it was apparently operating illegally in our country, nor the fact the CDC ignored it at first. Unless you were presenting some sort of deflection from all that.
        The implication is that this was a nefarious laboratory for genetically engineering bioweapons. Rather, it seems to be an illegal biolab meant for repackaging tests and generating cheap reagents. The CDC has a certain scope of legal action; without getting pretty far deep into the many levels of responsibility and legality, it's not possible to say here whether testing various labeled and unlabeled substances was within the CDC's scope or some other state/federal agency's.

        -Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Source: Patriot Post

          ...she found numerous building code violations and three employees from the People’s Republic of China (PRC). Ms. Harper reported the case to Fresno County and the FBI.

          © Copyright Original Source

          Is the implication here supposed to be that it's illegal to hire employees of Chinese ethnicity? That's how it seems to read.

          No word on why the FBI and CDC were profoundly disinterested in investigating an illegal biolab chock full of infectious diseases run by the ChiComs in one of the most heavily regulated states in the nation.
          Are you advocating that more regulatory agencies be more funded so that situations like this get dealt with better?
          "I hate him passionately", he's "a demonic force" - Tucker Carlson, in private, on Donald Trump
          "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism" - George Orwell
          "[Capitalism] as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of evils. I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy" - Albert Einstein

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sam View Post
            The implication is that this was a nefarious laboratory for genetically engineering bioweapons. Rather, it seems to be an illegal biolab meant for repackaging tests and generating cheap reagents.
            Selling test kits for diseases doesn't quite have the same scary ring to it as MaKiNg cHiNEsE BiOwEaPoNs though! And conservatives need to get their daily dose of scary.
            "I hate him passionately", he's "a demonic force" - Tucker Carlson, in private, on Donald Trump
            "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism" - George Orwell
            "[Capitalism] as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of evils. I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy" - Albert Einstein

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sam View Post

              The implication is that this was a nefarious laboratory for genetically engineering bioweapons. Rather, it seems to be an illegal biolab meant for repackaging tests and generating cheap reagents. The CDC has a certain scope of legal action; without getting pretty far deep into the many levels of responsibility and legality, it's not possible to say here whether testing various labeled and unlabeled substances was within the CDC's scope or some other state/federal agency's.

              -Sam
              The fact is that it was a lab operating illegally, has Chinese connections, and had hazardous material, which seemed to have been discovered by accident. The implication is based on one's own prerogative and what they can conclude from that without much additional information. As I understand it, many leftists seem to believe the Chinese are benevolent in all their actions, including in regard to hazardous material, and that it's a conspiracy theory to think they would have had nefarious intentions for such a lab.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by seanD View Post
                and that it's a conspiracy theory to think they would have had nefarious intentions for such a lab.
                It's 100% a conspiracy to think they had "nefarious intentions". If the Chinese government wanted to unleash biological weapons on the US, it sure doesn't need such cut-price run-down warehouse labs to do it with.

                It seems a simple case of a capitalist company running a low-budget operation to make test kits. They're cutting corners to make more profit so their premises aren't up to spec. It's nothing scarier than the profit motive incentivising poor behaviour from companies.

                But I get that conservatives enjoy being scared on a regular basis. Your hyperactive amygdalas make you addicted to fear and you need to make stories like this as scary as possible. Just standard conservative brain damage / malfunction.
                "I hate him passionately", he's "a demonic force" - Tucker Carlson, in private, on Donald Trump
                "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism" - George Orwell
                "[Capitalism] as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of evils. I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy" - Albert Einstein

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  It's 100% a conspiracy to think they had "nefarious intentions". If the Chinese government wanted to unleash biological weapons on the US, it sure doesn't need such cut-price run-down warehouse labs to do it with.

                  It seems a simple case of a capitalist company running a low-budget operation to make test kits. They're cutting corners to make more profit so their premises aren't up to spec. It's nothing scarier than the profit motive incentivising poor behaviour from companies.

                  But I get that conservatives enjoy being scared on a regular basis. Your hyperactive amygdalas make you addicted to fear and you need to make stories like this as scary as possible. Just standard conservative brain damage / malfunction.
                  Says the guy part of the climate change cult with adherents of that cult who incessantly cry that the world's going to end if we don't act immediately (and then delete their social media posts to avoid embarrassment when their failed predictions don't happen). That's rich, bro.

                  Nah, let's not be concerned about a regime that may have been behind the origins of covid and covered up the data at the lab that it may have come from. Yeah, that's just unreasonable paranoia.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    Says the guy part of the climate change cult
                    If by that, you mean I'm a scientist who's mentally capable of reading really basic graphs and thus seeing that the world has a problem with run-away climate change, then yes?

                    with adherents of that cult who incessantly cry that the world's going to end if we don't act immediately (and then delete their social media posts to avoid embarrassment when their failed predictions don't happen).
                    If someone crazy online wants to do something crazy online that's their problem and doesn't reflect on me. The reality of the world's climate problem is not changed by a few attention seekers having weird social media behavior. If you think it is, that's your brain malfunctioning.

                    Nah, let's not be concerned about a regime that may have been behind the origins of covid and covered up the data at the lab that it may have come from.
                    If covid came from a lab then it's clear it was a mistake. The Chinese government's many things, but weirdly starting global pandemics by intentionally using a half-baked bioweapon on their own people isn't one of those things.

                    The standard versions of the lab-escape theory are that either:
                    - The lab was just doing very mundane study of animal viruses, and one of them jumped to humans, just like an animal might escape from a zoo; or
                    - The lab was trying to test how close animal viruses were to jumping to humans, with a view to researching / prioritizing which animal viruses humans should be concerned about potentially jumping to humans naturally in the future (and thus prioritizing which viruses to flag for future vaccine research), and part of that lab-testing involved making adaptations to the lab version of the virus for use on petri dishes in the lab containing human cells, and that lab version of the virus escaped into the wild.

                    No normal version of the lab theory involves any nefariousness on the part of anyone. You can argue over how careless they might have been. And you can argue over what "gain of function" experiments should or shouldn't be allowed in a biological lab for human health research purposes, and argue over whether or not they were doing such experiments, and argue over what constitutes "gain of function" and what doesn't. But they weren't trying to develop bioweapons, and they weren't trying to unleash them on the populace (at least there's not the least shred of evidence to suggest either, and no normal version of the lab-escape theory suggests that).
                    "I hate him passionately", he's "a demonic force" - Tucker Carlson, in private, on Donald Trump
                    "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism" - George Orwell
                    "[Capitalism] as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of evils. I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy" - Albert Einstein

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                      If by that, you mean I'm a scientist who's mentally capable of reading really basic graphs and thus seeing that the world has a problem with run-away climate change, then yes?

                      If someone crazy online wants to do something crazy online that's their problem and doesn't reflect on me. The reality of the world's climate problem is not changed by a few attention seekers having weird social media behavior. If you think it is, that's your brain malfunctioning.

                      If covid came from a lab then it's clear it was a mistake. The Chinese government's many things, but weirdly starting global pandemics by intentionally using a half-baked bioweapon on their own people isn't one of those things.

                      The standard versions of the lab-escape theory are that either:
                      - The lab was just doing very mundane study of animal viruses, and one of them jumped to humans, just like an animal might escape from a zoo; or
                      - The lab was trying to test how close animal viruses were to jumping to humans, with a view to researching / prioritizing which animal viruses humans should be concerned about potentially jumping to humans naturally in the future (and thus prioritizing which viruses to flag for future vaccine research), and part of that lab-testing involved making adaptations to the lab version of the virus for use on petri dishes in the lab containing human cells, and that lab version of the virus escaped into the wild.

                      No normal version of the lab theory involves any nefariousness on the part of anyone. You can argue over how careless they might have been. And you can argue over what "gain of function" experiments should or shouldn't be allowed in a biological lab for human health research purposes, and argue over whether or not they were doing such experiments, and argue over what constitutes "gain of function" and what doesn't. But they weren't trying to develop bioweapons, and they weren't trying to unleash them on the populace (at least there's not the least shred of evidence to suggest either, and no normal version of the lab-escape theory suggests that).
                      The climate change cult scaremongers, such as AOC and Thunberg, among others, are quite high profile and prominent advocates of the cult. It's hilarious that you try and dismiss them as having any significance to the cult. Even if you don't share their paranoia, you're still very much associated with their scaremongering advocacy, so you're basically the pot calling the kettle black.

                      Assuming the lab "leak" (release) is true, you can't prove the intent behind that anymore than anyone else can, so don't try and read anyone's mind. Even if we assume it was just an accident, they still covered it up = nefarious. And why would I not be concerned about a regime as reckless with hazardous biological material as they obviously are? Your dismissal is irrational and it's nonsensical how you try and invert that against our concern.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        The climate change cult scaremongers, such as AOC and Thunberg, among others, are quite high profile and prominent advocates
                        Them saying something wrong or misguided doesn't change the facts of reality. They don't have the power to stop climate change by virtue of themselves being wrong about something once or twice.

                        MM and Rogue are almost always wrong almost all the time, but them being wrong doesn't, in and of itself, make US conservativism wrong. In the same way, AOC or Greta making a mistake doesn't make climate change false. Learn to tell the difference between individuals and ideas.

                        Assuming the lab "leak" (release) is true, you can't prove the intent behind that anymore than anyone else can
                        We can dismiss nonsensical motivations.

                        And why would I not be concerned about a regime as reckless with hazardous biological material as they obviously are?
                        We don't have much (if any) evidence their regime is reckless with hazardous biological material.
                        "I hate him passionately", he's "a demonic force" - Tucker Carlson, in private, on Donald Trump
                        "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism" - George Orwell
                        "[Capitalism] as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of evils. I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy" - Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                          Them saying something wrong or misguided doesn't change the facts of reality. They don't have the power to stop climate change by virtue of themselves being wrong about something once or twice.
                          As I said, they're high profile and have massive amounts of influence and media attention, so they certainly have the power to make leftist advocates like you and the rest of the adherents as a whole look paranoid and hysterical about the alarmism they spew, which has a tendency to backfire because it discredits the rest of cult.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                            Is the implication here supposed to be that it's illegal to hire employees of Chinese ethnicity? That's how it seems to read.
                            The implication is that people beholden to the CCP should not be running unregulated biolabs.
                            Are you advocating that more regulatory agencies be more funded so that situations like this get dealt with better?
                            I'm advocating that regulatory agencies do what they're supposed to be doing.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              The implication is that people beholden to the CCP...
                              How was this person beholden to the CCP apart from being Chinese?

                              ...should not be running unregulated biolabs.
                              Obviously nobody should be running unregulated biolabs.

                              But this seems like a laughable attempt to make a mountain out of a molehill. Some business wasn't following the regulations. Which is a fairly inevitable consequence of for-profit corner-cutting. I'm a strong advocate of tough-on-white-collar-crime policies, and hence strongly in favor of regulations and their enforcement.

                              But you're adding Red-scare nonsense to this by pretending a random Chinese guy is an agent of the CCP by virtue of being Chinese. Which seems racist.

                              And you're adding covid-hysteria to this by pretending biolabs are inherently scary. Biolabs in general manufacture test kits to be used in medicine to test for the dangerous things (e.g. a Covid RAT test) so that people can live healthy lives, the biolabs general don't make dangerous things. They will need to test that the kits they're making actually work, which requires some of the thing they're testing for. e.g. if they're making Covid RAT tests, they need a bit of covid so that they can put it in the test and confirm the test correctly reports that covid is present. If you want to stop people cutting corners in such biolabs, then you need to abolish the for-profit medical market that leads them to cut corners when making such tests.
                              "I hate him passionately", he's "a demonic force" - Tucker Carlson, in private, on Donald Trump
                              "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism" - George Orwell
                              "[Capitalism] as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of evils. I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy" - Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Juvenal, Today, 06:40 AM
                              2 responses
                              21 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by seer, Yesterday, 05:22 PM
                              10 responses
                              59 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by seer, 02-26-2024, 02:20 PM
                              28 responses
                              239 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Hypatia_Alexandria  
                              Started by seer, 02-26-2024, 12:29 PM
                              29 responses
                              154 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Hypatia_Alexandria  
                              Started by Cow Poke, 02-24-2024, 11:39 AM
                              61 responses
                              327 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Juvenal
                              by Juvenal
                               
                              Working...
                              X