Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

We Just Keep Producing Racist Kids....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Just Keep Producing Racist Kids....

What an evil little boy!

Young Kansas City Chiefs fan is accused of racist blackface by reporter - even though other half of child's face was painted RED to match team's colors

Sports outlet Deadspin has accused a young Kansas City Chiefs' fan of wearing racist blackface despite photos showing him wearing team colors across his entire face as well as a Native American headdress.

Sports reporter Carron Phillips later wrote on Monday that 'a Kansas City Chiefs fan found a way to hate Black people and the Native Americans at the same time.'

405730171_847223127408170_6509749895976663822_n (1).jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nf...ss-racist.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    [B]What an evil little boy!
    Given how much ruckus they've raised over other native american themed teams, there is, at the most, a "valid*" complaint about the headdress.

The blackface accusation though...I can only expect the defenders of the guy are going to claim "Well the kid should have known better than to apply black makeup to his skin in any manner.....it's his fault it was interpreted the way it was!"

*Valid in that there is room for a valid complaint to be made about the head-dress in general. Not for attacking this kid for it.

Comment

Brought that up in the Political Pix thread

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Given how much ruckus they've raised over other native american themed teams, there is, at the most, a "valid*" complaint about the headdress.

The blackface accusation though...I can only expect the defenders of the guy are going to claim "Well the kid should have known better than to apply black makeup to his skin in any manner.....it's his fault it was interpreted the way it was!"

*Valid in that there is room for a valid complaint to be made about the head-dress in general. Not for attacking this kid for it.
        There's a similar ruckus over a kid who applied eye black (thought to help prevent glare) to his face. Apparently it is now popular to extend it down the cheeks, often like a triangle.

Some might get a bit wild with it

But in his case his middle school suspended him for it: Middle school suspends student for wearing eye black to football game

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Complaint about a headdress at a Chief's game?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

What is worse is that deadspin changed their outrage when folks got down on them for not showing the whole picture. They then were outraged over the culture appropriation the kid was "guilty" of to bad for them it wasn't as his Mother stated the child is a native American his grand father is a chief on the Tribal Council.

Comment

Complaint about a headdress at a Chief's game?
              Yes. (I'm originally from KC area, and a "Christmas and Easter" type of fan.)

I'm not saying they are right to make a ruckus about this kid wearing a headdress (hence the * and the part you ignored below). But given that there has been a constant fight by many to address teams named/themed after Native Americans, complaining about "cultural appropriation" attire that appears at the games would at least be a consistent and logical argument to make. Now, whether that general complain warrants merit is up for the same level of debate as the Washington Redskins name, and I'll leave that to those more overall interested in football than me.

Comment

I'm not saying they are right to make a ruckus about this kid wearing a headdress (hence the * and the part you ignored below). But given that there has been a constant fight by many to address teams named/themed after Native Americans, complaining about "cultural appropriation" attire that appears at the games would at least be a consistent and logical argument to make. Now, whether that general complain warrants merit is up for the same level of debate as the Washington Redskins name, and I'll leave that to those more overall interested in football than me.
                One thing that seems consistent in the kerfuffle regarding team names and mascots involving Native Americans is that for the most part actual Native Americans either don't care or actually support the teams.

It's the lily white Native Americans similar to Fauxcahontas herself Elizabeth Warren who are outraged for them. Kinda like...

lib racism.jpg

I've brought all of this up multiple times in the past.

Not really. There have been moves to force schools and the like to stop having teams named Apaches and the like. Starting in the 1990s Arcadia High School in Arcadia, California, which has the team name the Apaches, was under pressure to drop the Apache name. The school claims that the name and its connections help educate their students about American Indians. Each year, students travel to the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation to participate in parades and tribal culture. In exchange Apache dancers come to Arcadia and students hold fundraisers for tribal causes. The principle of Arcadia High at the time, Martin Plourde, points out that this provided an "unbelievable connection for our kids to be able to visit the reservation and see that the Apaches are not a people of the ‘Broken Arrow’ era, that they are a current modern day people and they struggle just like a lot of people struggle.”

A quick check shows that they have been able to resist efforts from the state of California to change their name.
                I never said it was a "justification" but rather showing how ignorant the PC police can be assuming that every time they see an American Indian mascot or logo they have an immediate knee-jerk reaction that it is "hostile and abusive."

As for the Redskins I don't know if you watched this that I posted earlier:

I'm not sure if there have been any more recent studies or surveys but a 2004 National Annenberg survey found that only 9% of American Indians are insulted by sports teams using the nickname "Redskins," while 90% found it acceptable.

In a more general poll conducted by Sports Illustrated in 2002 which asked American Indians whether or not High School and College teams should stop using Indian nicknames, mascots and symbols. 81% responded no. Similarly, when asked whether professional teams should cease using Indian nicknames, mascots and symbols (which obviously would include the Redskins), 83% said no. This is overwhelming.

Apparently, American Indians don't get all bent out of shape over this issue -- at least not nearly to the degree that the media does. Sports Illustrated also asked whether they thought that the use of these team names and mascots "contributes to discrimination." Three out of four (75%) didn’t think so.
                To elaborate a bit...

Starting in the 1990s Arcadia High School in Arcadia, California, which has the team name the Apaches, was under pressure to drop the Apache name. The school claims that the name and its connections help educate their students about American Indians. Each year, students travel to the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation to participate in parades and tribal culture. In exchange Apache dancers come to Arcadia and students hold fundraisers for tribal causes. The principle of Arcadia High at the time, Martin Plourde, points out that this provided an "unbelievable connection for our kids to be able to visit the reservation and see that the Apaches are not a people of the Broken Arrow era, that they are a current modern day people and they struggle just like a lot of people struggle.

A quick check shows that they have been able to resist efforts from the state of California to change their name.

the Ottawa University Braves out in Kansas. They were pressured to drop the name "Braves" as it was deemed racially insensitive. But what those behind the push apparently didn't realize is that the school has deep historic ties with the Ottawa Indians, who in 1865 gave a land grant of 20,000 acres to establish a University on the Prairie. The Ottawa Tribe is adamantly in support of keeping the name "Braves" for the University and has repeatedly expressed this support through the years. They recognize that the nickname is not an insult but is a positive symbol of bravery, heroism and strength.

Similarly, a few years ago the Florida State Seminoles were being pressured to change their name until the Seminole Indians expressed overwhelming support of the team name and said they were proud of the association. In fact the support was so overwhelming that the NCAA was forced to issue them an exemption from their prohibition against using "hostile and abusive" Indian mascots and names.

In 2002 the National Athletics Associations Minority Opportunities and Interests Committee ordered the University of North Carolina-Pembroke to explain why it was still using the "racially offensive" logo of an American Indian and the "Braves" nickname for its athletic teams. What they discovered was that the College was founded by the Lumbee Indians (the largest Native American tribe east of the Mississippi) and was for many years the only 4-year university for Native Americans. Lumbee Tribal Chairman Milton R. Hunt who said that he was "surprised by the letter," responded: "the Lumbees don't want the NCAA to meddle with this." He also said that the "Lumbees would consider it an insult if it [the logo and nickname] were changed." The tribe remains closely tied with the university with members as chancellors, board members, staff members, as well as students.

One that bowed to the pressure is the University of North Dakota who were forced to drop the name the Fighting Sioux. Why the Fighting Sioux is offensive but the Fighting Irish (Notre Dame's mascot) is not remains a mystery. There are two Sioux reservations in North Dakota -- the Spirit Lake Reservation and the Standing Rock Indian Reservation (which stretches into South Dakota). The Sioux at the former voted by a 2-to-1 majority that the name was not offensive and was completely acceptable. Those at the other reservation have never voted on the matter although it has been noted that it is not uncommon to see folks at both locations wearing UND clothing with the logo prominently displayed.

Still the NCAA has successfully coerced UND into the name change because obviously they know better about how Native Americans should feel. UND is now the Fighting Hawks.

Comment

One thing that seems consistent in the kerfuffle regarding team names and mascots involving Native Americans is that for the most part actual Native Americans either don't care or actually support the teams.

It's the lily white Native Americans similar to Fauxcahontas herself Elizabeth Warren who are outraged for them. Kinda like...
                  lib racism.jpg

And to compare and contrast...

To me it is very much like how, back in 2002, the University of Northern Colorado (UNC) intramural basketball team decided to "raise awareness" by naming their team the "Fighting Whities" and used a caricature of a 1950's-era middle-aged white businessman and their slogan is: "Every thang's [sic] gonna be all white" for their team logo.

The purpose was teach white people a lesson of how it feels to be "demeaned" by being reduced to a team mascot like many Native Americans have.

Of course it backfired spectacularly. Or at least it failed as intended.

Solomon Little Owl, director of Native American Student Services at UNC, hoped to cause outrage, but instead of outrage, white Americans were delighted with the spoof and the team was overwhelmed with orders for the shirt displaying the team mascot! They ended up selling enough shirts that they were eventually able to endow a $79,000 scholarship fund for Native American students at Northern Colorado.

I guess Solomon Little Owl has never heard of the Minnesota Vikings or the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame or else he would have realized that nobody without a chip on their shoulder gets upset about things like that.

Last edited by rogue06; 11-29-2023, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                    What is worse is that deadspin changed their outrage when folks got down on them for not showing the whole picture. They then were outraged over the culture appropriation the kid was "guilty" of to bad for them it wasn't as his Mother stated the child is a native American his grand father is a chief on the Tribal Council.
                    Oops...
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

lib racism.jpg

This is why I used "valid*." It's valid in the fact that this is an issue that they complain about AND the headdress is an actual example of the issue. The "blackface" however, fails in actually being an example of the issue they are complaining about.

Comment

The "constant fight" appears to be primarily political leftists. There have been Native American organizations that consider it an honor and have been fighting to keep the names intact.

This is why I used "valid*." It's valid in the fact that this is an issue that they complain about AND the headdress is an actual example of the issue. The "blackface" however, fails in actually being an example of the issue they are complaining about.
                        That's one heck of a white wash. It was abject deception with the intent to sow racial division and animosity at the expense of a young fan. It was straight-up evil.
                        Last edited by seanD; 11-29-2023, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

That's one heck of a white wash. It was abject deception with the intent to sow racial division and animosity at the expense of a young fan. It was straight-up evil.
                          I hope they sue the pants off this guy!

Comment

I hope they sue the pants off this guy!
                            If for nothing else, to bring more attention to what this racebaiting scumbag tried to do. It should be open and shut. not just the fact he smeared the kid with lies, but because he actually put the kid's life in danger.

Comment

[B]What an evil little boy!
                              When faced with images that the kid was sporting the team's colors -- red and black -- the jackass responded by doubling down. He declared that this in some unnamed way made what he did was "worse."
                              Last edited by rogue06; 11-30-2023, 01:30 PM.

Comment