Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Two Parent Privilege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

Gee I guess HA thinks everyone should view her posts are more important then anyone else's or that we don't have a life outside of this forum.
    On the contrary. However, I do consider that you should get your facts straight.

For your information HA I have been reading the whole of this thread trying to catch up on it while doing things around the house so did not see your reply to my previous post until after I replied to a post that came earlier then your reply to my post.
    Evidently you did not see tabibito's comment to Civil Discourse either and instead leapt to the erroneous conclusion that tabibito had posed a question directly to me.

Leave a comment:

• alaskazimm
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    There has been an overall consensus for decades if not longer.
    And if Covid has taught us nothing else, it's that consensus = settled science.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The point being that there is no overall consensus on these issues as the criticisms in that Wiki article illustrated.
    There has been an overall consensus for decades if not longer.

Leave a comment:

• RumTumTugger
    replied

I see you are not willing to admit your earlier error.
    Gee I guess HA thinks everyone should view her posts are more important then anyone else's or that we don't have a life outside of this forum.

For your information HA I have been reading the whole of this thread trying to catch up on it while doing things around the house so did not see your reply to my previous post until after I replied to a post that came earlier then your reply to my post.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

You are incorrect .

I do not agree with the over-arching generalisation made by seer on this thread.
    It wasn't me making those generalizations - it was a multitude of studies over decades, including a number of countries. Sheesh!

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Because she has no real argument so she lays games. She's doing it in another thread and has yet t realize that the definition she's asking me to define has n relevance on the point being made.
    You are incorrect .

I do not agree with the over-arching generalisation made by seer on this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

And then you insisted seer tell you what was on tabibito's mind when he(tabibito) was the one asked the question. Why do you think one person has to explain what another person is thinking?
    My emphasis.

tabibito made this comment:

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

H_A's criticism is valid. Two (biological) parent families are more beneficial for children all else being equal. There are enough examples of biological parents abusing and neglecting their children to make the unqualified statement untrustworthy.

That post does not contain any questions.

As seer asked me if I agreed with what tabibito had written I assumed that seer had some understanding of what he considered tabibito intended by the comment:

Two (biological) parent families are more beneficial for children all else being equal.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

And then you insisted seer tell you what was on tabibito's mind when he(tabibito) was the one asked the question. Why do you think one person has to explain what another person is thinking?
    Because she has no real argument so she lays games. She's doing it in another thread and has yet t realize that the definition she's asking me to define has n relevance on the point being made.

Leave a comment:

• RumTumTugger
    replied

tabibito posed no question to me.

He has made one post to this thread when he replied to Civil Discourse:

seer then asked me if I agreed with what tabibito had written.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post

True there are always exception, but we know for instance that children generally to better with two biological parents than with a step parent*. It seems intuitive that one would have more invested in their biological child, more natural affection (see second link). Having said that I had a step father, the best father I could have had. My biological father was not a good man...

A good friend of mine has the same thing, a stepfather who is her "dad" and this is also the case in our own family, whereby the oldest child's father is the stepfather. Nonetheless it is a two parent home.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post

Yes there was consensus, how many studies do you need, there was one objection, which was without merit, but you CUT off that part of the quote. You are simply are not being honest.
    You cannot cite a Wiki article which refers to selected studies and then contend that on this issue "there was consensus".

I have made my points and I am not prepared to acknowledge that you are right [which is what you actually want me to do]. To end this exchange politely, we must agree to disagree on these issues.

And there is an end to it.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

Seer asked you why you didn't feel that part Of civil discourses which actualy spoke to your objections was important. One would think that you are just a troll who wants to attack a straw man so you do not have to defend your own opinions like everyone else has on this thread.
    I see you are not willing to admit your earlier error.

Leave a comment:

• RumTumTugger
    replied

That is a matter of expert opinion. And from the article that expert opinion is divided.
    Seer asked you why you didn't feel that part Of civil discourses which actualy spoke to your objections was important. One would think that you are just a troll who wants to attack a straw man so you do not have to defend your own opinions like everyone else has on this thread.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

The point being that there is no overall consensus on these issues as the criticisms in that Wiki article illustrated.
    Yes there was consensus, how many studies do you need, there was one objection, which was without merit, but you CUT off that part of the quote. You are simply are not being honest.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

I again ask about adoptive parents. Is their love for the children they have adopted diminished because they are not the biological parents?
    What do you do with evolutionary studies concerning kin selection? Why doesn't that make sense to you?

Leave a comment: