Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Persecuted German Homeschoolers Face Deportation After 15 Years Legally In US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    You will never see me attack the preacher
    What has happened to you, Jesse?
    You used to be a Jackass on occasion, but now it seems like you're all Jackass all the time.

You can't even refer to me by my name, and have to use "the preacher", because you've become such a bitter petty little man.
    First, "preacher" is only about 5% of what I do in a week, but it's often used as a pejorative by enemies of Christ to denigrate those who are called by Him.
    If you think it bothers me, it really doesn't - it just saddens me that this is what you have become.

for his kids' misdeeds,
    So, lemme clear this up a bit for you.
    I have two daughters, one who has been faithfully serving the Lord from the time she was about 5.
    The other ran away from home when she was 17, got pregnant, got into drugs and even some aspects of satanic cult things.
    Does that give you pleasure, Jesse, to know that one of my daughters turned away from God.
    Not "kids", plural - but this one daughter who strayed.

But then a remarkable thing happened, Jesse.
    In the story of the Prodigal Son, there's the verse, Luke 15:17, where it says "And when he came to himself"...
    That's what happened to my wayward daughter, Jess - she "came to herself", and realized the error of her ways.
    She repented with bitter tears, asked if she could come home, and we accepted her with open arms.

It was rocky at first, because she was hearing demonic voices, and suffering hallucinations, but she wanted so badly to be "free".
    Does that please you, Jesse? That she was lost in sin?

It took several months, but one day she came out of her room with a whole new countenance - a "light" in her eyes and a smile on her face.
    I actually cried as she said, "Dad, I'm free! - I don't hear the voices - I don't feel the darkness".

Are you disappointed, Jesse, that her "misdeeds" have been forgiven, both by God and our family?
    Are you disappointed that she is very joyfully serving the Lord, has her own media channels where tens of thousands of people are following her as she shares the Gospel?

though I'm well aware of them.
    No, sir, you're not --- you're a vicious vengeful hate-filled petty old jackass who seems to take pleasure in attacking others.
    You were, apparently, not very aware at all that it was only one "kid", and that she had made a miraculous recovery, no longer doing drugs, no longer living in sin.

Because that would be wrong.
    Yes, it would - so you did it in a very cowardly and dishonest way.
    You're bitter, Jesse - and it shows.

I can't even be angry at you, because I know this bitterness must be eating you inside and out like a cancer.

I'll just pray for you, Jesse, that you can, somehow, someway, by the Grace of God, "come to yourself".

Meanwhile, I forgive you, and simply and politely ask that you keep my family out of your hatred toward me.

Deal?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    You will never see me attack the preacher
    Wow, an unsolicited attack!

for his kids' misdeeds, though I'm well aware of them.
    Apparently not, because it wasn't kids - plural - it was one daughter, and she has gloriously returned to serving the Lord with a passion.

You really need to get over this petty little hatred of yours, Jesse. It's not a good look for you.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I cannot disagree. In a perfect world potential parents would first be required to show that they can raise a dog successfully to the age of three. If the dog is well adjusted then they can have kids. But if your dog is, let's say, a biter, with a long record of biting folks without provocation this might be a sign you are unfit to raise a child.
    You will never see me attack the preacher for his kids' misdeeds, though I'm well aware of them.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

The fact is there are people out there who shouldn't be parents. Not just unsuited for parenthood, but an active danger to the kids' lives. If you go with a "make them step up" policy, you're going to end up with dead kids. If the government didn't take control in those cases, well, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    I cannot disagree. In a perfect world potential parents would first be required to show that they can raise a dog successfully to the age of three. If the dog is well adjusted then they can have kids. But if your dog is, let's say, a biter, with a long record of biting folks without provocation this might be a sign you are unfit to raise a child.

I mean, if your dogs tend to have a history of biting people for no reason, you might end up spawning something like this

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

The fact is there are people out there who shouldn't be parents. Not just unsuited for parenthood, but an active danger to the kids' lives. If you go with a "make them step up" policy, you're going to end up with dead kids. If the government didn't take control in those cases, well, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Sadly, this is a two-pronged problem. I have seen such cases where the parents never should have had children, but the government's handling of it was just about as bad.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    As the government keeps offering to step in to help (i.e., take control), we're seeing more and more parents willing to step back rather than step up.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

The funniest thing is she insists on being a prescriptive grammarist, which I am not. I recognize descriptive grammar, as the real world rarely follows prescriptivist rules. But, I recognize all of this is just a game because she is unable or unwilling to even recognize the point made.
    She kinda reminds me of the guy who encounters a bunch of Mexican immigrants and attempts to use Castilian Spanish with them. They just laugh - and many of the idioms don't work at all.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Had to laugh the other night was Mrs CP and I were binge watching Bonanza episodes.

Hoss was filling in for the school teacher, and called out, "ok, you rascals, get in here so I can learn y'all some grammar!".
    That reminds me of the classic lesson that Mae West offers the school boys in My Little Chickadee.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Had to laugh the other night was Mrs CP and I were binge watching Bonanza episodes.

Hoss was filling in for the school teacher, and called out, "ok, you rascals, get in here so I can learn y'all some grammar!".
    The funniest thing is she insists on being a prescriptive grammarist, which I am not. I recognize descriptive grammar, as the real world rarely follows prescriptivist rules. But, I recognize all of this is just a game because she is unable or unwilling to even recognize the point made.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Let us hope he can assist you in your grammar skills.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

You've failed a basic school technique. My son is trying to learn this in 4th grade. He seems to do better than you.

Here's some help
    Let us hope he can assist you in your grammar skills.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

You've failed a basic school technique. My son is trying to learn this in 4th grade. He seems to do better than you.

Here's some help

Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 10-07-2023, 06:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

That would be where you are wrong. You are failing over and over here.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

Fancy yourself, don't you?

There is no thesis in the above comment.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/thesis

Thesis: a proposition stated or put forward for consideration, especially one to be discussed and proved or to be maintained against objections

That would be where you are wrong. You are failing over and over here.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

I'll re-post the original, un-disected. Read it together. Perhaps you'll realize that the 'definition' you are asking for is irrelevent to the point. Until you can actually articulate the thesis of this post, I don't think you'd be able to understand any of the answers given to you.

The counter to your question is, if the government is not providing a useful service, why try to force people into it? If the government were to force every child to attend a school for 3 days a week for 10 years that will teach them to play an instrument, the expectation would be that after those 10 years, the children would be able to successfully play that instrument. If children are coming out of that process, unable to play, or only play very poorly, then you might ask "What's the point of music instrument lessons, is it to play in a band, or personal enjoyment?" But the real question you should be asking is, why did I force my child to go through that, if at the end, they still can barely play? Is there a better way?
    Fancy yourself, don't you?

There is no thesis in the above comment.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/thesis

Thesis: a proposition stated or put forward for consideration, especially one to be discussed and proved or to be maintained against objections

Leave a comment: