Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Persecuted German Homeschoolers Face Deportation After 15 Years Legally In US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Meh. I once had a science teacher who announced we were all learning the lesson together. IOW, she was learning what she was teaching us as she taught it.
    Purely as a matter of interest did she specifically state, to a class of pupils, that she was learning as she went along?
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Purely as a matter of interest did she specifically state, to a class of pupils, that she was learning as she went along?
      What did I say in my post?

She announced that we were all learning the lesson together.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Meh. I once had a science teacher who announced we were all learning the lesson together. IOW, she was learning what she was teaching us as she taught it.

There's a reason I say I learned more in my first week in a science class in college than I learned in all of 9th through 12th grade.
        My teachers in high school were generally pretty good. I was on the honors track, however, so my experience may not have been normative. I learned enough in Chem 1 & 2 in high school that I nearly tested out of Chem 101 in college after a six-year hiatus with no studying.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          My teachers in high school were generally pretty good. I was on the honors track, however, so my experience may not have been normative. I learned enough in Chem 1 & 2 in high school that I nearly tested out of Chem 101 in college after a six-year hiatus with no studying.
          Chemistry was what I had in mind regarding learning more in the first week than in all of High School. And I went to a public school regarded as being the best in the county and one of the best in the metro area.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What did I say in my post?

She announced that we were all learning the lesson together.
            The question is, did she actually mean it? You wrote:

we were all learning the lesson together

A teacher may say to a class "Today we are all learning about XYZ" simply as a form of speech. It does not follow that the teacher is necessarily ignorant of XYZ.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The question is, did she actually mean it? You wrote:

we were all learning the lesson together

A teacher may say to a class "Today we are all learning about XYZ" simply as a form of speech. It does not follow that the teacher is necessarily ignorant of XYZ.
              She meant it as in this was her first time and was learning it along with us as she taught us. This was evidenced by how often she had to return to the textbook to see what came next. She had returned to college and also would occasionally teach us what she had just learned the previous day.

Comment

Chemistry was what I had in mind regarding learning more in the first week than in all of High School. And I went to a public school regarded as being the best in the county and one of the best in the metro area.
                We had an awesome chemistry teacher, a fiery little Sicilian woman. She pushed us to learn.

ETA: On the other hand, my (first-year) honors pre-cal teacher did us no favors; the class collectively struggled the next year in calculus class. The calculus teacher eventually figured out that we were missing some of the basics; I suspect she went to the pre-cal teacher and gave her some pointers.
                Last edited by One Bad Pig; 10-04-2023, 02:09 PM.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

We had an awesome chemistry teacher, a fiery little Sicilian woman. She pushed us to learn.

ETA: On the other hand, my (first-year) honors pre-cal teacher did us no favors; the class collectively struggled the next year in calculus class. The calculus teacher eventually figured out that we were missing some of the basics; I suspect she went to the pre-cal teacher and gave her some pointers.
                  We never had pre-calculus. You went from Algebra, to Geometry, back to Algebra II and then to Trigonometry and finally Calculus.

I'll admit that I was out of my depth in Calculus. Math was always my weakest subject although it was fairly easy up to Trigonometry.

Comment

She meant it as in this was her first time and was learning it along with us as she taught us. This was evidenced by how often she had to return to the textbook to see what came next. She had returned to college and also would occasionally teach us what she had just learned the previous day.
                    Now you have added some detail.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

We never had pre-calculus. You went from Algebra, to Geometry, back to Algebra II and then to Trigonometry and finally Calculus.

I'll admit that I was out of my depth in Calculus. Math was always my weakest subject although it was fairly easy up to Trigonometry.
                      We went from Algebra I to Algebra II to Geometry to Pre-calculus (which was supposed to include Trigonometry) to Calculus. Which is all fine and dandy, but the Pre-cal teacher sort of omitted the Trigonometry bit. I managed to eke out a C in Calculus.

The plebs on the academic track didn't start Algebra until 9th grade, and finished with Trigonometry. We took a test in 7th grade that determined which track we'd be on.

sigpic

Comment

We went from Algebra I to Algebra II to Geometry to Pre-calculus (which was supposed to include Trigonometry) to Calculus. Which is all fine and dandy, but the Pre-cal teacher sort of omitted the Trigonometry bit. I managed to eke out a C in Calculus.

The plebs on the academic track didn't start Algebra until 9th grade, and finished with Trigonometry. We took a test in 7th grade that determined which track we'd be on.
                        We were busy learning to use a slide rule when the school announced that we could use a calculator instead.

I wonder how many folks these days would even recognize a slide rule.

Comment

We were busy learning to use a slide rule when the school announced that we could use a calculator instead.

I wonder how many folks these days would even recognize a slide rule.
                          I can recognize one, but never learned to use it. In my Introduction to Astronomy & Astrophysics courses, the exams were rather rough; we had to solve word problems by deriving the proper equations and solving them without using any any calculator or cheat sheet - including principles from trigonometry, logarithms, and calculus. As long as we got within an order of magnitude of the exact answer and showed the proper work, we got credit.

sigpic

Comment

I could have placed out of my frosh chem. class, but I decided to take it as a refresher. I'm glad I did. It covered some ground I hadn't had in HS.

My HS math went Alg. I, Alg. II, Geometry, Alg III & Trig, and finally "Introduction to Analysis." I aced the first, third, and fifth. I had a notoriously sub-par teacher for Alg. II and Alg. III & Trig. But it's also true that my verbal skills are better than my math skills. That was observable on DAT, PSAT, and SAT.

At college, I struggled with Calculus and Differential Equations, but then after I took a DE course by correspondence, it was like a switch flipped and suddenly they were fun and fairly easy. I ended up taking a DE course as an elective mostly for fun.

I've never used a slide-rule. Mine was the first class that did not. That would have been Chemistry in the '76-'77 school year, IIRC.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The point being, despite all these fascinating recollections of school/college experiences, that if anyone is teaching a curriculum that person has to be fully cognizant of the topic.

That this is not the case in some public schools is lamentable and the USA is not alone in its problems with education and literacy and numeracy rates.

A leading article from March this year in The New Statesman [which will no doubt be dismissed by some here as a British "leftie" journal] and which was looking at the issues of British university education noted that universities are flooding the market with graduates that lack a command of basic English. The author quoted the British historian David Abulafia who had made his remarks some years earlier. He observed that "People do not know how to write. Command of grammar, punctuation, and spelling is atrocious". At the time he was commenting on undergraduates at Cambridge [one of the top English universities].

If education is reduced to a market commodity with potential students as freely choosing consumers and it is run as a corporate venture with different institutions competing with one another in the market. The end result is inevitable; and to paraphrase the epitaph on the tomb of Wren, if you seek their works, look around you.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The point being, despite all these fascinating recollections of school/college experiences, that if anyone is teaching a curriculum that person has to be fully cognizant of the topic.

That this is not the case in some public schools is lamentable and the USA is not alone in its problems with education and literacy and numeracy rates.

A leading article from March this year in The New Statesman [which will no doubt be dismissed by some here as a British "leftie" journal] and which was looking at the issues of British university education noted that universities are flooding the market with graduates that lack a command of basic English. The author quoted the British historian David Abulafia who had made his remarks some years earlier. He observed that "People do not know how to write. Command of grammar, punctuation, and spelling is atrocious". At the time he was commenting on undergraduates at Cambridge [one of the top English universities].

If education is reduced to a market commodity with potential students as freely choosing consumers and it is run as a corporate venture with different institutions competing with one another in the market. The end result is inevitable; and to paraphrase the epitaph on the tomb of Wren, if you seek their works, look around you.
                                Public Schools in the US (at least in Texas) are funded on ADA - Average Daily Attendance, often referred to as "butts in seats". As more parents are removing their kids from public schools for home school, private school, Christian school, Charter school - the ADA decreases, and so does the funding - drastically.

Because of dropping ADA, our school district is $5.85 MILLION dollars in debt.

What the public schools need to do is to find a way to COMPETE - to make parents WANT to put their kids' 'butts in seats' in the public school by doing two things:
                                A) Get control of DISCIPLINE
                                2) Get ACADEMICS headed in the right direction.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment