Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Persecuted German Homeschoolers Face Deportation After 15 Years Legally In US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I'd be willing to wager that a home schooled child is much less likely to be abused than is a child who attends a public school. Parents could abuse a child regardless of where they go to school, but its only in a school where they can also be exposed to abuse from faculty, other school employees, and, of course, their fellow students.
    I think the bigger worry with homeschooling is that the child is not getting a proper education. I agree with you that there needs to be some way of checking on them. Like using standardized testing given by a home school board or even the state to make sure that the students are learning properly. But that might already be the case, I don't have any experience in home schooling. CP might know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I think the bigger worry with homeschooling is that the child is not getting a proper education. I agree with you that there needs to be some way of checking on them. Like using standardized testing given by a home school board or even the state to make sure that the students are learning properly. But that might already be the case, I don't have any experience in home schooling. CP might know.
      That may be the bigger worry by some, but it's largely a baseless one, as the stats show very much the opposite. Homeschooled kids are much more likely to be getting a far better education than public schooled and even many private schooled kids, when one looks at outcomes. Higher scores, better post-graduation outcomes, etc.

Comment

We have to turn in paperwork showing the student's progress; there are standardized tests given by the state, but they're not required (in Maryland, at any rate). The homeschooled students I know have a pretty good education, but that's just anecdotal. I can't say that about the public schools around here, though that's also anecdotal.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The bigger concern isn't the quality of the education per se so much as it is whether any education is occurring in the first place. The sort of paperwork OBP alludes to as a bare minimum of keeping the family honest seems reasonable.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I recall doing some research on this a few years ago and as I recollect there were difference when it came to the sciences and mathematics. Most parents do not have the higher educational skills in those subjects.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I recall doing some research on this a few years ago and as I recollect there were difference when it came to the sciences and mathematics. Most parents do not have the higher educational skills in those subjects.
              Nowadays the parents don't have to be experts in the topics. Homeschooling has pre-written courses, complete with teaching guides, answers, textbooks, quizzes, and so on, and have access to experts in case they are needed. At least that is my understanding.

Comment

Public schools aren't especially proficient in educating students in those areas either.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Public schools aren't especially proficient in educating students in those areas either.
                  That is dealt with in a book by Charles Sykes I read some years ago I may still have my copy somewhere.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That is dealt with in a book by Charles Sykes I read some years ago I may still have my copy somewhere.

No argument from me. Schools seem more interested in teaching culture and social interactions than math, history, and science.

Comment

And yet, in spite of representing a very small fraction of students in 1-12 grade, stories such as Michigan homeschooler wins $10,000 national math championship, Cornerstone Homeschool math team wins state competition and Homeschooled Teen Wins Gold at Physics Olympiad are anything but rare.

It could be argued that, for the most part, parents who take the time and effort to educate their children are more vested in it and have much more interest in seeing them succeed than does a teacher who handles a bunch of kids for several hours for a year and then gets an entirely new batch.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nowadays the parents don't have to be experts in the topics. Homeschooling has pre-written courses, complete with teaching guides, answers, textbooks, quizzes, and so on, and have access to experts in case they are needed. At least that is my understanding.
                        The quality can be hit or miss though I think that's getting better than it used to be.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

And yet, in spite of representing a very small fraction of students in 1-12 grade, stories such as Michigan homeschooler wins $10,000 national math championship, Cornerstone Homeschool math team wins state competition and Homeschooled Teen Wins Gold at Physics Olympiad are anything but rare.

It could be argued that, for the most part, parents who take the time and effort to educate their children are more vested in it and have much more interest in seeing them succeed than does a teacher who handles a bunch of kids for several hours for a year and then gets an entirely new batch.
                          It could be indeed. However, the educational standards of the parents also have to be factored into home-schooling. If a child wants more from a subject the parents may not be educationally competent to provide for that need.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It could be indeed. However, the educational standards of the parents also have to be factored into home-schooling. If a child wants more from a subject the parents may not be educationally competent to provide for that need.
                            That's why curricula and things like Khan Academy exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

That's why curricula and things like Khan Academy exist.
                              A curriculum needs to be fully understood by the person teaching it.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Meh. I once had a science teacher who announced we were all learning the lesson together. IOW, she was learning what she was teaching us as she taught it.

There's a reason I say I learned more in my first week in a science class in college than I learned in all of 9th through 12th grade.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment