Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Found Liable For Real Estate Fraud; Business Certificates Dissolved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligatory Coen Bros. reference, for those who know

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko

Have you seen the SEC/tax filing? Or just read the tweet you posted?
      The relevant documents are screen-shotted in the tweet, as well as the linked article:

ScreenShot00117.png
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post

The relevant documents are screen-shotted in the tweet, as well as the linked article:

ScreenShot00117.png
        Yeah I noticed that after I posted, so I deleted my post asking you that.

It also explains the difference in claims in the page you linked to. Sounds like marketing to me. They were counting the cupola and basements.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah I noticed that after I posted, so I deleted my post asking you that.

It also explains the difference in claims in the page you linked to. Sounds like marketing to me. They were counting the cupola and basements.
          He has a history of exaggerating floors/stories too, beyond just that. He got caught lying about the size of his penthouse too: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chasewi...his-penthouse/
          Compensating for his small....erm... hands..... I guess.

Comment

• Trump's appellate bond in the NYS fraud case has been reduced to $175, along with numerous other restrictions being paused, on the condition that Trump's appeal is "perfected" (i.e., complying with procedures and deadlines) by September 2024. Reduced bond is due within 10 days.

ScreenShot00079.png

-Sam

Comment

Trump's appellate bond in the NYS fraud case has been reduced to $175, along with numerous other restrictions being paused, on the condition that Trump's appeal is "perfected" (i.e., complying with procedures and deadlines) by September 2024. Reduced bond is due within 10 days.
              A modicum of sanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

A modicum of sanity.
                Would love to see this attitude more broadly adopted toward the bail system.

-Sam

Comment

A modicum of sanity.
                  Just a modicum. The whole idea that Trump was expected to pay the exorbitant fine in full before he was allowed to appeal the ruling is such an absurd miscarriage of justice that I wonder if the judge relented only to avoid getting slapped by a higher court?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Would love to see this attitude more broadly adopted toward the bail system.
                    Perhaps. But in this case, only when an attorney general uses a civil court to prosecute a citizen, and where there are no professed injured parties, and then the judge prejudges liability, and then heaps an unheard of penalty on him.

Comment

Perhaps. But in this case, only when an attorney general uses a civil court to prosecute a citizen, and where there are no professed injured parties, and then the judge prejudges liability, and then heaps an unheard of penalty on him.
                      The penalty is not "unheard of"; there have been higher penalties for corporate fraud. "A citizen" is not being prosecuted*, but rather a business. The penalty isn't biased but formulaic, determined by the detailed findings of how much fraud the business perpetrated over a period of time. The people of New York State represent an "injured party", as corporate fraud injures people beyond the contractual parties.

-Sam

*sued, rather

Comment

The penalty is not "unheard of"; there have been higher penalties for corporate fraud. "A citizen" is not being prosecuted*, but rather a business. The penalty isn't biased but formulaic, determined by the detailed findings of how much fraud the business perpetrated over a period of time. The people of New York State represent an "injured party", as corporate fraud injures people beyond the contractual parties.
                        A) The attorney general ran for office on the pledge of going after Donald Trump, not a "business." He was prosecuted - because that's what attorney generals are for, not for civil suits. But because she knew she had no way to criminally prosecute him, she took this unusual and poor precedent-setting route.
                        B) The penalty is biased. How much do you believe Mar-a-Lago is worth?
                        C) How has the AG proven in court that the people of NY were harmed by Trump?

This is just one cog in the machine, but it was the most egregious. It was the most flagrantly partisan and damaging (by precedent) among all the legal darts thrown at Trump. And this one alone will probably get him elected, because all but the most ardent leftists see this attack for what it is.

Comment

-Sam

*sued, rather
                          But there was no fraud. The banks Trump did business with said there was no deception, that they did their own due diligence and agreed with the valuation of the properties, and that the loans were paid back on time and in full. How can the citizens of New York represent an injured party when they had no involvement in these business deals, and there were no injuries?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

But there was no fraud. The banks Trump did business with said there was no deception, that they did their own due diligence and agreed with the valuation of the properties, and that the loans were paid back on time and in full. How can the citizens of New York represent an injured party when they had no involvement in these business deals, and there were no injuries?
                            Putin, Xi and Maduro are taking notes and learning a nice lesson from this one, the next time anyone challenges their authority. It's less messy than pushing the person out a high-rise window.

Comment

Putin, Xi and Maduro are taking notes and learning a nice lesson from this one, the next time anyone challenges their authority. It's less messy than pushing the person out a high-rise window.
                              The Deep State is making an example of Trump and sending a message to any other "outsider" who is thinking about crashing their exclusive club.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The Deep State is making an example of Trump and sending a message to any other "outsider" who is thinking about crashing their exclusive club.
                                Yes, but I believe that is only in regard to the 'legal document withholding' and J6 wrangling. The Deep State is behind those (and threatening the media into compliance). The ones by Leticia James and Fani Willis are by low-level Dems wanting to make names for themselves within the party to advance their careers. IMO

Comment