Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Homosexuals Embrace Adultery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post

The question is why are gays so much more promiscuous?
    That's really more of a rhetorical question, isn't it? When your entire identity and lifestyle is based on sinful behavior, then it's easy to accept other sinful behaviors.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

No it doesn't. While most people think of adultery as a secretive affair, the fact is, any sex outside of marriage is adultery, even if all parties are fully aware and consenting.
      I wouldn't consider an "open marriage" to be a marriage much like I wouldn't agree "same-sex marriage" or "plural marriage" to be marriages. Sex outside of marriage while not being married would be fornication, Openly (or secretly) having affairs while married is not the same as an "open marriage".
      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

The question is why are gays so much more promiscuous?
        Oh, I don't know, I guess they must be more open minded when it comes to sex.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          He actually started out all liberal hippy. By the 60's he was a John Bircher (except in his sexual proclivities, apparently).
          His works started getting really wacky, like he was on drugs or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

While most people will probably say that adultery is not OK, it happens so often that I think they "think it is wrong" but do it anyway. Like any other sin.

And I am talking about straight, gay, etc.

Straight couples have been cheating forever.
            I think the secular world defines cheating as violating a implied or explicit vow to the partner of monogamy. So if there is no commitment to monogamy, there is no cheating.

Christian culture doesn't bless any sexual union without that same vow. So there is no means of distinction there. I suppose then that from a Christian perspective, any sort of 'open' marriage is not, in fact, a marriage, at least as the Church defines it. From a secular perspective, the perspective of the law, i dont know how that would play out in terms of meeting the definition of adultery.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post

So promiscuity is a good thing in your mind - got it...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

No surprised...
                Not surprising.

They've only done the whole gay marriage thing a couple of years.

You need to give em some time man.

Before that they were literally defined by sex anytime, anywhere with anybody willing.

Comment

I find, as a Christian, the general concept of "open marriage" (of the same family as polygamy and polyandry) far less problematic than serial adultery (classified as violating an understanding of mutually exclusive physical or emotional fidelity). And Christians certainly have a "planks and motes" aspect to these issues that should be attended to before trying to level a finger at others.

But were we to all to believe the literal declarations of Jesus Christ, we'd be classifying a whole lot of belief and behavior as adultery that the broad public, churchgoers and I'm sure many TWebbers included, support.

Whole lot of reasons to refrain, biblically speaking.

-Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I wouldn't consider an "open marriage" to be a marriage much like I wouldn't agree "same-sex marriage" or "plural marriage" to be marriages. Sex outside of marriage while not being married would be fornication, Openly (or secretly) having affairs while married is not the same as an "open marriage".
                    Fornication and adultery are effectively synonymous.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So promiscuity is a good thing in your mind - got it...
                      First off, you're moving the goal post if you're talking promiscuity or casual sex in general, meaning amongst single people. If that's what you mean, then yes promiscuity, or casual sex is just fine. If you're talking promiscuity by married people, i.e open marriages, then I don't think it's a good idea myself, but that's just me. It might work out fine for others, I don't know, I don't care, and I don't think it's anyone else business. You like to pretend that you're all about freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of choice, freedom of religion etc. But I don't think you actually are. You're about the freedom to live according to your religious beliefs.

Comment

No it doesn't. While most people think of adultery as a secretive affair, the fact is, any sex outside of marriage is adultery, even if all parties are fully aware and consenting.
                        The bolded is probably the important part of this conversation. The poll asked a specific question, to which seer is applying a very generic term to. By doing that, it creates a dishonest picture of what the people in the poll are actually approving of.

I'll give an analogy to demonstrate. I'll be very explicit in my comparisons, and what I'm actually saying is similar.

So: The poll asked about "Open Marriages" I'm going to compare that to a poll that instead asks about "Killing someone in defense of one's self or in defense of another person, when there is reasonable fear of death." (for simplicity, i'm just going to call this "Self defense" just to keep it shorter.

Seer then switched "Open Marriages" to "Adultery". I'm going to compare that to switching "Self Defense" to "Homicide"

Putting it together: There is a poll that asked people whether they supported "killing in self defense", many said yes. Person A then said that people asked supported Homicide.

In both cases we have a specific item "Open marriages" and "Self defense" which includes a specific act, that has been switched to the larger category that includes that act. While at a very BASE level, the statement remains true, it is misleading because it implies approval of the specific means approval of everything under the generic. Just because someone supports "open marriage" it does not mean that someone supports "Secretive affairs", in the same way that someone supporting "killing in self defense" means that they support "Cold blooded murder", even though both are technically Homicides. Just "Justifiable Homicide".

Comment

Fornication and adultery are effectively synonymous.
                          Adultery would be a subset.

If there's no promise to be faithful, one cannot be unfaithful.
                          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            I find, as a Christian, the general concept of "open marriage" (of the same family as polygamy and polyandry) far less problematic than serial adultery (classified as violating an understanding of mutually exclusive physical or emotional fidelity). And Christians certainly have a "planks and motes" aspect to these issues that should be attended to before trying to level a finger at others.
                            I'm unclear on the difference between "open marriage" and "serial adultery"; they seem rather synonymous to me.
                            But were we to all to believe the literal declarations of Jesus Christ, we'd be classifying a whole lot of belief and behavior as adultery that the broad public, churchgoers and I'm sure many TWebbers included, support.
                            Could you expand on this a bit, and clarify what 'belief and behavior' you're referring to? Thanks.
                            Whole lot of reasons to refrain, biblically speaking.

-Sam
                            Quite.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I'm unclear on the difference between "open marriage" and "serial adultery"; they seem rather synonymous to me.

Could you expand on this a bit, and clarify what 'belief and behavior' you're referring to? Thanks.

Quite.
                              As people in the thread are using different definitions for the same term, by "serial adultery", I am referring to a violation of an expectation of mutual exclusivity, either by repeated violations against one person or violations against numerous partners sequentially. An example of the latter being Donald Trump's two divorces and three marriages and an example of the former being Trump's habitual infidelities while married. An "open marriage", by contrast, does not have an understanding of mutual exclusivity and so does not necessarily involve a violation of that (though such violations could still occur with partners outside that agreement).

We might imagine a communal living environment where members of the sect or "family" lived as common spouses and we might imagine something like that to be a (probably misguided) attempt to live closer to what we're told Heaven is like, where there is no marriage and everyone enjoys the same bond with their earthly spouse as they do their earthly adversaries. We can imagine no situation where violating an understanding of exclusive fidelity can at all resemble a heavenly ideal.

As to belief and behavior, we'd be largely talking about attitudes regarding remarriage, whether after divorce or death of a spouse; the latter being discouraged and the former being equated with adultery (with the possible exemption of sexual immorality on the part of a spouse but I think John Piper has a good argument that this was in reference to the betrothal period and not a blanket exception). That's what we be talking about as a matter of stated principle: on matters of what churchgoers are willing to tolerate among their chosen spiritual and political leadership ... well, we don't have a great track record there that we can point back to when preaching sexual ethics.

-Sam

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post

It hardly gets more "open minded" than 20 person orgies that spread Monkeypox.
                                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment