Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

US Senator Menendez charged with bribery, steps down from Senate committee role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Maybe don't pointlessly nitpick?
    Why not? Everyone else does.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    My point was that Starlight didn't seem to know he was a Senator, since he was talking about "200 other congresspersons"
    I knew he was a Senator. It's in the thread title and also multiple times in the OP. I was using congresspersons in the wider sense of members of congress, which includes both the House and the Senate and has 535 total members. Maybe don't pointlessly nitpick?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    He might be stepping down as committee chair but still says he's not resigning in spite of calls from many Democrats to do so, and apparently will be announcing he's running for reelection. A couple Democrats have already announced they will oppose him in the primary.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I think it's a cross-over. Congressman <X> as a title refers to a house member, but as there's NOT really a word shorter than "Members of congress" congressman/people also works for the generic whole.
    My point was that Starlight didn't seem to know he was a Senator, since he was talking about "200 other congresspersons"

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I think it's a cross-over. Congressman <X> as a title refers to a house member, but as there's NOT really a word shorter than "Members of congress" congressman/people also works for the generic whole.
    We used to just call them "Representative" since they belonged to the House of Representatives but somewhere along the way they started getting called "Congressman" and Senators were excluded from that term.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

Technically, yes. but generally "congressman" refers to a house member. And Starlight mentioned "200" - there are only 100 Senators in total.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think, technically, a "Congressperson" could be a Representative of the House or a Senator, since "Congress" is made up of both the House and the Senate.
    Technically, yes. but generally "congressman" refers to a house member. And Starlight mentioned "200" - there are only 100 Senators in total.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I think, technically, a "Congressperson" could be a Representative of the House or a Senator, since "Congress" is made up of both the House and the Senate.
    Traditionally a Congressperson refers to someone elected[1] to the House of Representatives whereas a Senator refers to those elected to the Senate.

Technically it could refer to either.

1. they could be appointed to fill a seat until a special election or the next election if one is upcoming

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Why stop there - why not go for all 535?
    435 in the House plus 100 in the Senate.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

This is a Senator, not a Representative (congressperson). There are only 100 Senators.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Nice! Now do 200 more congresspeople.
    This is a Senator, not a Representative (congressperson). There are only 100 Senators.

Leave a comment:

• Diogenes
    replied
    ? If anything, I felt like the Dem leadership's condemnation of Santos was tepid and very slow in coming, and I recall that annoying me at that time. They weren't howling for a resignation. They didn't bother even raising a token objection to him being "seated" in the House which had the Republicans smirking.
    It seems AOC and John Fetterman called for Menendez to resign prior to NJ's Gov. Murphy doing so, my apologies.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
    It seems you have trouble reading your own quote. I am not "deceiving" anyone as anyone can read what your wrote and read that I acknowledged your clarification to the state senate, which I believe was your original intent as indicated by your clarification and your reference to the Independent Democrat Conference, not that knowledge or ignorance of the specifics of the NY State Senate is indicative of knowledge or ignorance of the US as a whole. Your attempt to present such knowledge to establish bona fides is unimpressive.
    You cited a 1-sentence post out of context that explicitly refers to my previous discussions on the topic, and then provided a creative interpretation of that sentence it that is at odds with my previous discussions on the topic. That is pretty actively deceptive by you. If you are just going to add new layers of lies, butt out of this discussion and troll elsewhere.
    Last edited by Starlight; 09-24-2023, 09:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Diogenes
    replied
    Having "a majority" in one of the parts of government in the state (which is my statement you quote) isn't at all the same as "having control of the state" because there are multiple parts to all state governments. At no point have I ever said, or would ever say, that Republicans had control of NY state. That was not my "initial claim", and at not point have I claimed that, so please don't deceive everyone by falsely saying it was.
    It seems you have trouble reading your own quote. I am not "deceiving" anyone as anyone can read what your wrote and read that I acknowledged your clarification to the state senate, which I believe was your original intent as indicated by your clarification and your reference to the Independent Democrat Conference, not that knowledge or ignorance of the specifics of the NY State Senate is indicative of knowledge or ignorance of the US as a whole. Your attempt to present such knowledge to establish bona fides is unimpressive.

? If anything, I felt like the Dem leadership's condemnation of Santos was tepid and very slow in coming, and I recall that annoying me at that time. They weren't howling for a resignation. They didn't bother even raising a token objection to him being "seated" in the House which had the Republicans smirking.
    At no point did I say people were howling for the resignation of Santos. My use of that phrase was reserved for a hypothetical Republican's in a similar situation as Menendez. So far only two non-US Senate Democrats that I can quickly find have called on Menendez to resign.

ETA Post Star's reply, I will end my participation that line of dialogue to maintain thread integrity.
    Last edited by Diogenes; 09-24-2023, 09:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
    ETA: Of course, this all an aside from current corruption by a Democratic senator.If he was a Republican, Schumer et all would be howling for a resignation. He's certainly not getting the same treatment Dems gave to Santos.

Leave a comment: