Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World Vision apostasy, or: never, ever, give your money to Christian organizations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    ...that do anything but Christian apologetics:

And finally, a good quote from Albert Mohler:

The distinction between an “operational arm” of the church and a “theological arm” is a fatal misreading of reality.
    I spoke to my Pastor on Tuesday. Our church has been supporting World Vision for close to 15 years. That will end this week.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I spoke to my Pastor on Tuesday. Our church has been supporting World Vision for close to 15 years. That will end this week.
      The backtracking won't change this, right?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        The backtracking won't change this, right?
        I doubt it, but I don't have the final say. I believe we will still move to Compassion International.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          I doubt it, but I don't have the final say. I believe we will still move to Compassion International.
          I confess I'm not really familiar with Compassion International. I'll have to look into them.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            That said, I don't think this would cause me to drop sponsorship of a child (though I'd probably sponsor children through a different organization in the future). I also profoundly disagree with WK's rejection of supporting non-apologetics ministries.
            Does anybody know what the cost effectiveness of ministry is through World Vision? I mean, now many cents of a dollar actually go to "the child". Some organizations have extraordinary overhead.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I confess I'm not really familiar with Compassion International. I'll have to look into them.
              I wasn't either. My Pastor told me he has been aware of what World Vision was going to do for a while and did a lot of research on various Christian charities and Compassion International was at the top of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Does anybody know what the cost effectiveness of ministry is through World Vision? I mean, now many cents of a dollar actually go to "the child". Some organizations have extraordinary overhead.
                World Vision

Compassion International
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I am aware of one Church of Christ pastor who argues that Christians should never give to charities but rather to people going directly to do missionary work/donations in person, on the grounds that this is the only biblical example we have. I find this to be an argument for silence (and also they didn't even have charities back then) but I see why people open up to this type of view with the overhead costs of some of the charities out there.

Comment

It looks like CI has a better overall rating than WV.

Comment

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...8#.UzQssoVeff0

Comment

Thanks, OBP.

And to be clear, this numeric would not be the sole indicator for my decision to contribute - but it is pretty important to me.

I went to Haiti in the early 80s to see for myself how one particular charity was spending money, and was amazed how efficient they were in percentage of contributions actually reaching the mission field --- they had a LOT of volunteers helping with the ministry, including pilots flying between Miami and Haiti at their own expense.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am aware of one Church of Christ pastor who argues that Christians should never give to charities but rather to people going directly to do missionary work/donations in person, on the grounds that this is the only biblical example we have. I find this to be an argument for silence (and also they didn't even have charities back then) but I see why people open up to this type of view with the overhead costs of some of the charities out there.
                          I guess I believe in a hybrid of that -- I want to actually go to the mission field and see for myself how the money is distributed. Once I have than answer, i don't mind giving (or leading my church to give) to that particular endeavor.

Comment

Thanks, OBP.

And to be clear, this numeric would not be the sole indicator for my decision to contribute - but it is pretty important to me.

I went to Haiti in the early 80s to see for myself how one particular charity was spending money, and was amazed how efficient they were in percentage of contributions actually reaching the mission field --- they had a LOT of volunteers helping with the ministry, including pilots flying between Miami and Haiti at their own expense.
                            Yeah, even the main ratings agencies agree that overhead isn't everything.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I guess I believe in a hybrid of that -- I want to actually go to the mission field and see for myself how the money is distributed. Once I have than answer, i don't mind giving (or leading my church to give) to that particular endeavor.
                              Well, yeah, I definitely think it's better to give it to somebody who's going there directly all things being equal; I just don't believe in making a rule that this is the only thing you can do.

Comment

Well, yeah, I definitely think it's better to give it to somebody who's going there directly all things being equal; I just don't believe in making a rule that this is the only thing you can do.
                                In Southern Baptist work, we have the "Cooperative Program" which was designed to keep missionaries "on the field", not requiring them to constantly come back and "raise support", because they would be getting the financial support they needed.

The "downside" of this was that we didn't have missionaries visiting our Churches giving reports on the mission field, so that we could decide to support them directly.

Our church, therefore, does a hybrid -- we support the Cooperative Program as a percentage of our budget, but we also contribute directly to missionaries who come to our Church once a year or so to give reports (and slide shows / powerpoints) of their work and the people they touch.

Comment