Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Chick-Fil-A Goes Woke? Will Conservatives Boycott After The Buycott?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chick-Fil-A Goes Woke? Will Conservatives Boycott After The Buycott?

Actually it appears Chick-Fil-A went woke 2 years ago and no one noticed. But now with recent companies and their trips down the woke slide, it became noticed that 2 years ago Chick-Fil-A promoted a long-time employee to become VP of Diversity Equity and Inclusion (DEI), to "make employment decisions on a non-discriminatory basis and remain committed to maintaining work environments free from any form of harassment.”

Now, DEI departments/positions have been criticised quite a bit as 'Woke' by conservatives the last year or two. Will Conservatives turn their energy that has been shown with Bud Light and Target onto the company that not so many years ago they pushed a 'buycott' for in order to defend against a liberal boycott with respect to the owner's donations to anyi-gay-marriage groups? It'll be entertaining to watch to say the least. Where will Conservatives get their latest dose of bird flesh, if not CFA?

Chick-fil-A, the chicken sandwich chain long beloved by conservatives for its longstanding opposition to same-sex marriage, is sparking boycott calls after announcing that it has hired an executive in charge of diversity, equity, and inclusion.

The Atlanta-based company named Erick McReynolds to the post of vice president of DEI two years ago, but social media users took note of it in recent days — igniting angry denunciations on Twitter from conservatives who allege that the firm has “gone woke.”

McReynolds has been employed by Chick-fil-A since 2007.

He was promoted to the position of vice president of DEI in November 2021, according to his LinkedIn page.

But the recent LGBTQ controversies involving brands such as Bud Light, Target, and Kohl’s have triggered scrutiny of other corporate actors.

Corporate America’s embrace of DEI, which seeks to diversify workforces, has been criticized by conservatives who claim that it is discriminatory based on race and gender.

“This is bad. Very bad. I don’t want to have to boycott. Are we going to have to boycott?” said conservative strategist Joey Mannarino.

Mannarino then posted an informal poll asking his 166,000 followers whether a boycott is in order.

As of late Tuesday afternoon, a little more than 47% of respondents voted in favor of a boycott while more than half — 52.4% — voted against it.

Mannarino linked to a page on Chick-fil-A’s site titled “Committed to being Better at Together.”

“Chick-fil-A, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, equity, and inclusion,” the company said.

“We make employment decisions on a non-discriminatory basis and remain committed to maintaining work environments free from any form of harassment.”

The company added: “One of our core values at Chick-fil-A, Inc. is that we are better together.”

“When we combine our unique backgrounds and experiences with a culture of belonging, we can discover new ways to strengthen the quality of care we deliver: to customers, to the communities we serve, and to the world.”

The company site quoted McReynolds, who said he is “committed to ensuring mutual respect, understanding, and dignity everywhere we do business.”

“These tenets are good business practice and crucial to fulfilling our Corporate Purpose,” the newly named VP of DEI said.

Some Twitter users were outraged.

“I am hoping they will stand by their Christian values,” one Twitter user commented.

“As of today I will no longer be eating Chick-Fil-A,” wrote another Twitter user.

Chick-fil-A, which operates nearly 3,000 restaurants in the lower 48 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, has sought to moderate its politics in recent years in hopes of expanding its appeal beyond core supporters and consumers.

In 2019, the company stopped donating money to groups that were opposed to same-sex marriage.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/30/chick-...ing-vp-of-dei/

He's been at that job since 2021.

If they were going the way of Budweiser and Target there would have been signs of it already

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      He's been at that job since 2021.

If they were going the way of Budweiser and Target there would have been signs of it already
      He has, but it hasn't been picked up on until recently after the hubbub over Bud and Target

Comment

I'm waiting to see if they begin to identify roosters as chickens. Maybe change their name to Roost-Fil-A?
        When I Survey....

Comment

As far as I can tell, Chick-Fil-A has neither gone "woke" nor is there a real movement among conservatives to boycott them. The "woke" stuff people point to is really just vague general statements about diversity or inclusion, but simultaneously there seems to actually be little movement against it for that.

Let's take this article for example. Who is calling for a boycott? Well, it cites Joey Mannarino (who I have never heard of before) as wondering about the possibility of a boycott--not even explicitly calling for one, just wondering about it--and having a poll on his twitter... where a majority of people who voted in it said no. A slim majority, but a majority, and note this is obviously strongly biased against it because the people voting in the poll are the ones following a guy who seemed to actually find the idea credible. Beyond that, it then offers quotes from "a twitter user" and "another twitter user" (no specification of who they are) advocating a boycott.

Now, maybe Chick-Fil-A does have more "woke" stuff that hasn't been mentioned in the articles I've seen, and maybe there are more conservatives calling for boycotts than I think... but in the articles I've seen on this subject (not just the one above), I'm not really seeing any actual movement in the direction of a boycott. I feel like this whole story comes from a combination of people trying to get clickbait views and liberals trying to use this to attack conservative boycotts on other things ("you see how crazy these guys are about Chick-Fil-A making a few generic diversity comments? These are the guys telling you to boycott Target! Don't listen to them!"). It feels like exaggerated clickbait.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

He has, but it hasn't been picked up on until recently after the hubbub over Bud and Target
            And in 2021 people were more concerned with vaxxes, covid, and lockdowns and masks.

Comment

Not a fan. Too much meat. But then, I've never been a fan of Budweiser products or Target either.

I'd need to actually sacrifice something for a boycott. Maybe if Negra Modelo went woke.

ale.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                Not a fan. Too much meat. But then, I've never been a fan of Budweiser products or Target either.

I'd need to actually sacrifice something for a boycott. Maybe if Negra Modelo went woke.

ale.jpg
                Well they'd have to change that first name right away if they did......

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Well they'd have to change that first name right away if they did......
                  Negro Model beer? Uh oh

Comment

I probably would if I ate that type of junk.

Tim Pool is calling for one, and though he has a pretty sizable audience, I'm not sure how much sway he has over traditional Fox News type conservatives...

Comment

Chick-Fil-A? Woke? There are no obvious signs of it. They're still closed on Sundays.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                        Chick-Fil-A? Woke? There are no obvious signs of it. They're still closed on Sundays.
                        They no longer contribute to pro-life groups, but that's still a far cry from going woke.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sounds like an attempt by liberals to try and manufacture controversy surrounding Chick-Fil-A.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Sounds like an attempt by liberals to try and manufacture controversy surrounding Chick-Fil-A.
                            That was my first impression but I don't see any evidence for it.

This seems to be the first time conservatives have successfully boycotted anything[1] and I think some folks like the power and want more.

1. With both Bud Light and Target it seemed to have been more a grass roots customer rejection before anyone started calling it a boycott or calling for one.

Comment

If they are really buying into the idea that you must use discrimination now to make up for past discrimination then I wouldn't want to buy anything from them.

Comment