Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Shoot an 84yr old pro-lifer? No jail for you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoot an 84yr old pro-lifer? No jail for you.

So it seems it's okay to shoot someone, as long as they are protesting abortion. All you will get is a fine and a few days community service

IONIA, Mich. (AP) — A western Michigan man who pleaded no contest to shooting an 84-year-old woman campaigning against abortion rights at his home was sentenced to community service Tuesday.

Richard Harvey, 75, was ordered to complete 100 hours of community service. Judge Suzanne Hoseth Kreeger also gave him a suspended jail sentence of two months and a delayed sentence of one year on probation.

Harvey pleaded no contest last month to felonious assault, careless discharge of a firearm causing injury and reckless discharge of a firearm.

Kreeger also must pay $347.19 in restitution and cannot have any contact with the woman he shot, 84-year-old Joan Jacobson.

Jacobson was shot Sept. 20 at Harvey’s home in Odessa Township, a community about 130 miles northwest of Detroit. Jacobson told investigators that she was asking a woman at the home to vote against a proposed constitutional amendment that would guarantee the right to abortion in the state when she was told to leave. The amendment later passed.

Harvey has said the shooting was accidental, but Jacobson has maintained she believes it was intentional after she had argued with Harvey’s wife, Sharon Harvey.

Jacobson was treated at a hospital for a shoulder wound.

Source

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

$347.19 for restitution?

Getting a BB stuck under your skin would cost more than that to have treated.

And generally, in spite of what we see in the old cowboy movies, getting shot in the shoulder generally does permanent damage. Makes lifting things with that arm extremely difficult.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      $347.19 for restitution?

Getting a BB stuck under your skin would cost more than that to have treated.

And generally, in spite of what we see in the old cowboy movies, getting shot in the shoulder generally does permanent damage. Makes lifting things with that arm extremely difficult.
      Much like CHAZ, Chicago, and Hunter's gun filing perjury, gun crimes are only important depending on the actor. The Left has no problem with domestic terrorism as long as it targets crisis pregnancy centres.
      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Much like CHAZ, Chicago, and Hunter's gun filing perjury, gun crimes are only important depending on the actor. The Left has no problem with domestic terrorism as long as it targets crisis pregnancy centres.
        You even had that joke of an Attorney General, Merrick Garland, declare that the reason the feds haven't made a single arrest in attacks on crisis pregnancy centers was because most of the attacks happen at night.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So it seems it's okay to shoot someone, as long as they are protesting abortion. All you will get is a fine and a few days community service

IONIA, Mich. (AP) — A western Michigan man who pleaded no contest to shooting an 84-year-old woman campaigning against abortion rights at his home was sentenced to community service Tuesday.

Richard Harvey, 75, was ordered to complete 100 hours of community service. Judge Suzanne Hoseth Kreeger also gave him a suspended jail sentence of two months and a delayed sentence of one year on probation.

Harvey pleaded no contest last month to felonious assault, careless discharge of a firearm causing injury and reckless discharge of a firearm.

Kreeger also must pay $347.19 in restitution and cannot have any contact with the woman he shot, 84-year-old Joan Jacobson.

Jacobson was shot Sept. 20 at Harvey’s home in Odessa Township, a community about 130 miles northwest of Detroit. Jacobson told investigators that she was asking a woman at the home to vote against a proposed constitutional amendment that would guarantee the right to abortion in the state when she was told to leave. The amendment later passed.

Harvey has said the shooting was accidental, but Jacobson has maintained she believes it was intentional after she had argued with Harvey’s wife, Sharon Harvey.

Source

My emphasis.

Who to believe?
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            My emphasis.

Who to believe?
            How does one accidentally shoot an unarmed 84 yr old woman?
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
              My emphasis.

Who to believe?
              Both could be telling the truth.

The victim may very well have just had been arguing with the shooter's wife before he shot her, leading her to believe that it was deliberate.

The shooter may very well have accidentally discharged the firearm.

Still, if she is correct, it does seem to be one heck of a co-inkydinky

Comment

Those sort of things do happen. The question is, why did he have a loaded firearm out and aimed at someone in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Those sort of things do happen. The question is, why did he have a loaded firearm out and aimed at someone in the first place.
                  First rule of gun safety, never point a gun safety is to never point the gun at something you're not willing to shoot. Second rule is to always assume the gun is loaded.
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Source

I agree the sentence was far to light for what happened. But the laxity of the sentence likely had nothing to do with abortion and everything to do with how lax we are with respect to guns, gun violence, and gun control.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I agree the sentence was far to light for what happened. But the laxity of the sentence likely had nothing to do with abortion and everything to do with how lax we are with respect to guns, gun violence, and gun control.
                      Given that there are pro-abortion domestic terrorists, it would not be unsurprising that a pro-life campaigner going door to door would find someone who was so vehemently in support of abortion that a gun would be produced to threaten the campaigner to leave. That has nothing to do with gun control but rather how violent pro-abortion people can become in support of abortion.
                      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

First rule of gun safety, never point a gun safety is to never point the gun at something you're not willing to shoot. Second rule is to always assume the gun is loaded.
                        I tend to reverse the order, but, yeah

Comment

Given that there are pro-abortion domestic terrorists, it would not be unsurprising that a pro-life campaigner going door to door would find someone who was so vehemently in support of abortion that a gun would be produced to threaten the campaigner to leave. That has nothing to do with gun control but rather how violent pro-abortion people can become in support of abortion.

The idea the 'liberals' or 'pro-abortionists' are the violent one's, or the most violent, is absurd:

Timothy McVeigh.

Eric Rudolph

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-violence.html

https://www.vox.com/2015/12/1/982788...attacks-mapped

Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-26-2023, 11:35 AM.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You tell me. Many a US police officer has accidentally shot unarmed individuals.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Timothy McVeigh.
                              Has nothing to do with Jane's Revenge. It's interesting how McVeigh was radicalised by watching the Waco surge.
                              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment