Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

11y.o. Boy Called 911 To Help His Mom; Police Shot Him Instead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11y.o. Boy Called 911 To Help His Mom; Police Shot Him Instead

An 11 year old boy, Aderrien Murry of Mississippi called 911 to get help when his mother's abusive ex came to their home. When officers arrived, one came with his gun drawn to the front door and called out for anyone inside to come out. When the boy did exactly that, the same cop shot him in the chest as he came around the corner of the living room toward the front of the house. Thankfully the boy lived, with a collapsed lung, busted ribs, and lacerated liver.

Yet another example of poor police training and trigger-happy cops with a shoot-first mentality, and yet another nail in the coffin to the tired old canard pushed by some of 'well if you just follow police orders you have nothing to worry about'.

An 11-year-old Mississippi boy who was shot by a police officer after he called 911 for help is recovering after being released from the hospital, according to his family.

The family is calling for the officer to be fired and charged with the shooting.

Aderrien was shot in the chest by an Indianola Police Department officer early Saturday morning while the officer was responding to a domestic disturbance call at the child’s home, according to his mother, Nakala Murry, and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation.

Murry told CNN that the “irate” father of another of her children arrived at her home at 4 a.m. Saturday.

Concerned about her safety, Murry asked Aderrien to call the police.

Murry said the officer who arrived at the home “had his gun drawn at the front door and asked those inside the home to come outside.” Murry said her son was shot coming around the corner of a hallway, into the living room.

“Once he came from around the corner, he got shot,” Murry said. “I cannot grasp why. The same cop that told him to come out of the house. (Aderrien) did, and he got shot. He kept asking, ‘Why did he shoot me? What did I do wrong?’” she said.

The shooting happened within what felt like “one to two minutes” after the officer asked those in the house to come outside, Murry said.

The boy was given a chest tube and placed on a ventilator at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. He had a collapsed lung, fractured ribs and a lacerated liver because of the shooting, his mother said. He was released from the hospital Wednesday. CNN has reached out to the hospital.

Two other children, including Murry’s daughter and 2-year-old nephew, were also in the home at the time of the shooting, she said.

Body camera footage has not been released

Moore told CNN the incident was captured on police body camera video.

The attorney said his request for the body camera footage was denied due to “an ongoing investigation.”

The body camera video of the incident has not been released publicly.

Moore said he was told there is also video of the incident from a nearby gas station.

The Indianola Police Department confirmed that the officer involved in the shooting is named Greg Capers but did not provide any additional details on the shooting, telling CNN the police chief was unavailable.

CNN reached out to Capers for comment but did not immediately hear back.

On Monday evening, the Indianola Board of Aldermen voted to place Capers on paid administrative leave while the shooting is investigated, according to the family attorney.

In a statement over the weekend, the MBI said the agency is “currently assessing this critical incident and gathering evidence” and would turn over its findings to the state attorney general’s office after the investigation is complete.

On Wednesday, MBI spokesperson Bailey Martin declined to answer additional questions, telling CNN in an email, “Due to this being an open and ongoing investigation, no further comment will be made.”

CNN has contacted the District Attorney’s Office for the Fourth Circuit Court and the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office for comment.

Family angry police officer remains employed by department

Murry said that after her son was shot, she placed her hand on his wound to apply pressure as he “sang gospel songs and prayed while bleeding out.” The officer, she said, tried to help render first aid and placed his hand on top of hers to try to stop Aderrien’s bleeding.

When an ambulance arrived, medics were “very attentive,” she said.

“Aderrien came within an inch of losing his life,” Moore said. “It’s not OK for a cop to do this and get away with this. The mother asked Aderrien to call the police on her daughter’s father. He walked out of his room as directed by the police and he got shot.”

Murry said police told her that her daughter’s father was taken into custody later in the day on Saturday but eventually released because she had not filed a police report against him.

“When was I going to have time to do that? I was in the hospital with my son,” she said, reacting to the news of the man’s release from custody.

Four days after the shooting, Murry told CNN that “no one came to the hospital from the police station” nor had she spoken to any police investigators about the shooting.

“I’m just happy my son is alive,” she said through tears.

Moore told CNN that he is furious that Capers remains employed by the Indianola Police Department.

“We believe that the city and the officer should be liable to Aderrien Murray, for the damages they have caused,” the attorney said.

Moore said they will hold a sit-in protest at the Indianola City Hall on Thursday morning.

Indianola is a small, mostly African American town with 31% of the population below the poverty line. It lies in the Mississippi Delta, about 100 miles north of Jackson.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/24/us/mi...boy/index.html

I'll wait for the body cam footage.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      I'll wait for the body cam footage.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
        Yet another example of poor police training and trigger-happy cops with a shoot-first mentality, ...
        So poorly-trained people having guns is risky?
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
          An 11 year old boy, Aderrien Murry of Mississippi called 911 to get help when his mother's abusive ex came to their home. When officers arrived, one came with his gun drawn to the front door and called out for anyone inside to come out. When the boy did exactly that, the same cop shot him in the chest as he came around the corner of the living room toward the front of the house. Thankfully the boy lived, with a collapsed lung, busted ribs, and lacerated liver.

Yet another example of poor police training and trigger-happy cops with a shoot-first mentality, and yet another nail in the coffin to the tired old canard pushed by some of 'well if you just follow police orders you have nothing to worry about'.
          That the boy was black as well as the last sentence from that article, does suggest something, given the history of Mississippi.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

That the boy was black as well as the last sentence from that article, does suggest something, given the history of Mississippi.
            That the race of the idiot with the gun was not mentioned might be significant. Typically, if he had been white, the fact would have been mentioned. Also - no outraged comments from the MSM (that I have noticed) - again not the expected (lack of) response if he had been white.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

He probably didn't mean to shoot him. He may have had more pressure on the trigger than he realized, causing it to fire.

On a related note, anytime cops show up to a potentially deadly situation, everyone in the vicinity is at risk. There have been plenty of times a citizen will take down an active shooter, and then when the cops show up they shoot the hero. All they knew was there was someone there at the scene with a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

That the race of the idiot with the gun was not mentioned might be significant.

Typically, if he had been white, the fact would have been mentioned

Also - no outraged comments from the MSM (that I have noticed) - again not the expected (lack of) response if he had been white.
                The officer's skin tone might be significant but we cannot assume that. There appears to be a degree of shock and concern, at least from the sites I have read. That the officer has not yet been identified could [and I stress that word] be a deliberate decision to prevent retaliation and/or civil disruption.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The officer's skin tone might be significant but we cannot assume that. There appears to be a degree of shock and concern, at least from the sites I have read. That the officer has not yet been identified could [and I stress that word] be a deliberate decision to prevent retaliation and/or civil disruption.
                  ? He was identified by name. And yes, shock, concern, questions about why he hasn't been sacked have been raised.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Do liberal news outlets even care if they caused any civil disruption? It seems like they thrive on generating unrest.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Do liberal news outlets even care if they caused any civil disruption? It seems like they thrive on generating unrest.
                      The news outlets don't know yet. The police dept is the one keeping the information under wraps.

Comment

In your opinion.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

? He was identified by name. And yes, shock, concern, questions about why he hasn't been sacked have been raised.
                          Do you know officer Greg Capers' skin tone? Should such an incident not require investigation [as is being undertaken]? Dismissal is a possible outcome. Or a desk job.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

He probably didn't mean to shoot him. He may have had more pressure on the trigger than he realized, causing it to fire.

On a related note, anytime cops show up to a potentially deadly situation, everyone in the vicinity is at risk. There have been plenty of times a citizen will take down an active shooter, and then when the cops show up they shoot the hero. All they knew was there was someone there at the scene with a gun.
                            "Had more pressure on the trigger than he realized"??

He should not have his damn finger even touching that trigger unless he's already pmanning to fire it. That's basic freaking Gin 1010. This aint a movie, or a cop show, where you walk aroind with your gun raised and finger on the trigger in a goofy stance.

Comment

Do you know officer Greg Capers' skin tone? Should such an incident not require investigation [as is being undertaken]? Dismissal is a possible outcome. Or a desk job.
                              No - I don't know his skin tone. Just going by the usual patterns of reporting.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment