Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bud Light: Nobody can chase off customers like us ... Target: Hold MY beer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    No wonder they tried to censor it.
    After watching it, it seems the most likely reason they wanted it is that they couldn't answer the question and were constantly dodging it so poorly that it would be blatantly obvious to anyone hadn't drunk the Kool-Aid. I was surprised how mediocre it was as I thought it was going to be cringe.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Always glad to roguesplain things
      Bout time you splained that avatar. What is that? Cow tongue jerky with a pirate hat and eye patch?

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Bout time you splained that avatar. What is that? Cow tongue jerky with a pirate hat and eye patch?
        Tiktaalik, which Sparko "piratified"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Tiktaalik, which Sparko "piratified"
          Killer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

After watching it, it seems the most likely reason they wanted it is that they couldn't answer the question and were constantly dodging it so poorly that it would be blatantly obvious to anyone hadn't drunk the Kool-Aid. I was surprised how mediocre it was as I thought it was going to be cringe.
            I liked the interview with the gay professor. especially the part where he says you should just take someone's word for who they identify as. Then Matt said, "what if I identify as a black man?"

I would have said, "I identify as you. Give me your wallet" but then, I am a pirate.

And you have to accept me as one!!!! My pronouns are "ARRRR!" and "Bacon"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I liked the interview with the gay professor. especially the part where he says you should just take someone's word for who they identify as. Then Matt said, "what if I identify as a black man?"

I would have said, "I identify as you. Give me your wallet" but then, I am a pirate.

And you have to accept me as one!!!! My pronouns are "ARRRR!" and "Bacon"
              Given Matt Walsh was known before the film, why anyone would actually sit down with him and not know his motivations is crazy. Congressman Takano was the one smart enough to just get up and leave.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Given Matt Walsh was known before the film, why anyone would actually sit down with him and not know his motivations is crazy.
                I actually don't think most of them did know who he was. I really never watched his show until after the film came out.. I mostly watched Klavan and Knowles...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                  It was a bit of a rambling post, that brought up Charlie Kirk numerous times even though I don't believe he has even been mentioned on the thread.

Lies? You'd have to show that it was done knowingly and willingly.
                  I posted some news relevant to the topic. I'm sorry that upsets you. Maybe we could build you a safe space?
                  What are you ranting about? Who brought up Tim Pool? Looks like you did. I certainly did not. The bomb threats were not sent to him that I know of.

Your incredulity is not a valid argument.

That's nice, I'm not a Christian and I suspect you're an uber-liberal one.

Had figured on just letting this go, as having to explain the use of purpose of stories not directly related to conversation as analogies seemed like a bit of a waste of time, but repeat news events make at least part of this a teachable moment:

You wonder why I'm bringing up Tim Pool in a conversation where I said it'd be good practice to be skeptical of too-good-to-check information after getting so recently suckered. I introduced Tim Pool into the conversation because I checked for the source of the bomb threats you attributed to "trans radicals" and found that the threatening email was sent to Tim Pool's website subscribers. Since Tim Pool is a known magnet of right-wing folk, it seemed a bit odd for "trans radicals" to deliver a bomb threat to Target locations through his subscription email. Not impossible but also not in line with what we'd expect, especially since we routinely see these sorts of threats associated with the right-wing outrage cycles themselves and not usually in response to a company's subsequent actions. For example, mere days after Kohl's found itself a target of the same astroturfing anti-Pride attacks:

Source: Kohl's in Oak Creek one of several stores nationwide evacuated for bomb threat, no credible threat found, Sarah Volpenhein, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 2023-06-02

The Kohl's department store in Oak Creek was evacuated and closed Friday afternoon after receiving a bomb threat that police later determined was not a credible threat, according to a press release issued by the Oak Creek Police Department.

Oak Creek Police received reports of the bomb threat at Kohl's, 9035 S. Howell Ave., about 2:15 p.m. Friday, one of several stores across the United States to receive threats on Friday.

A Kohl's store in Milwaukee, at 27th Street and Loomis Road, also was evacuated "out of an abundance of caution," WISN reported. Kohl's stores in several other states, including Florida, Kentucky and Indiana, also reported receiving bomb threats on Friday, according to TV news reports.

© Copyright Original Source

Anyway, it's a teaching moment to check one's sources. That way, when people who *did* vet the information talk about it, you won't look like a rube who just copies and pastes potential agitprop without even cursory investigation.

That's just good practice for anyone. My initial comments, however, were directed specifically to the Christians on this thread who participated in something predicated on falsehoods because those people are bound by a specific and shared ethical code. I didn't include you in the criticism because you aren't so bound by that particular creed.

In this case, it doesn't matter even a bit whether one is a "liberal" or "conservative" Christian (I doubt the terms are even remotely meaningful on this forum, where "conservative" Christians largely align themselves with known adulterers, sexual abusers, and serials liars). This is a question not of political alignment but of commitment to truth and reconciliation — something more in the realm of "mere" Christianity.

-Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    .....Anyway, it's a teaching moment to check one's sources. ....
                    -Sam
                    It's a worthwhile reminder, Sam -- particularly the kind and loving manner in which it was shared.

Thanks

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In this case, it doesn't matter even a bit whether one is a "liberal" or "conservative" Christian (I doubt the terms are even remotely meaningful on this forum, where "conservative" Christians largely align themselves with known adulterers, sexual abusers, and serials liars). This is a question not of political alignment but of commitment to truth and reconciliation; something more in the realm of "mere" Christianity.

-Sam
                      Like liberal Christians don't align themselves with known adulterers, sexual abusers, and serials liars on the left? You know Sam I forgot what a hypocritical piece of crap your were, thanks for reminding us...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Like liberal Christians don't align themselves with known adulterers, sexual abusers, and serials liars on the left? You know Sam I forgot what a hypocritical piece of crap your were, thanks for reminding us...
                        Many liberal churches even preach the GLBTQRS++++ propaganda and wave their banner.
                        gay pride church.jpg
                        glbt church.jpeg
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-04-2023, 03:02 PM.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Many liberal churches even preach the GLBTQRS++++ propaganda and wave their banner.
                          They embrace every sexual sin, effectively wolves in sheep clothing. Every liberal Christian I know voted for the serial liar Biden, and hang on every word that comes out of the prevaricating Media Matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

I wrote that the terms "liberal Christian" and "conservative Christian" don't have meaning on this forum because what one might expect from "conservative" Christianity (strict adherence to traditional interpretations of Christian values and practices) isn't even followed by the "conservative Christians" here, who largely follow, support, or easily tolerate people who routinely violate those traditional interpretations of Christian values. One could assume that "liberal Christians" would be less beholden to tradition and its associated strictures; my point was that the "conservative Christians" are as likely, if not even more likely, to have abandoned conservative Christianity.

Your response, a grousing tu quoque, only drives my point home: the distinction between "conservative" and "liberal" Christianity is immaterial here because aligning one's Christianity to a political political ideology doesn't tell us the first thing about how well or poorly that Christian adheres to Christian principles — it merely lets us know who's colors in the Culture War are being worn.

-Sam
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I wrote that the terms "liberal Christian" and "conservative Christian" don't have meaning on this forum because what one might expect from "conservative" Christianity (strict adherence to traditional interpretations of Christian values and practices) isn't even followed by the "conservative Christians" here, who largely follow, support, or easily tolerate people who routinely violate those traditional interpretations of Christian values. One could assume that "liberal Christians" would be less beholden to tradition and its associated strictures; my point was that the "conservative Christians" are as likely, if not even more likely, to have abandoned conservative Christianity.

Your response, a grousing tu quoque, only drives my point home: the distinction between "conservative" and "liberal" Christianity is immaterial here because aligning one's Christianity to a political political ideology doesn't tell us the first thing about how well or poorly that Christian adheres to Christian principles — it merely lets us know who's colors in the Culture War are being worn.

-Sam
                              The fact is no ones hands are clean, we support those who support our political goals. Even when they are flawed. It is not like we have a choice if we want to remain in the fight. And are you saying that liberal Christians like yourself are OK with lying and adultery and such since they are less beholden to tradition?

Comment

-Sam
                                The difference is that conservative Christians recognize depravity and perversity and call it that. They don't celebrate it and call it something to be proud of. We indeed recognize that we're all flawed but the difference is we recognize it as flaws and that it's something not be proud of. We don't celebrate things like public sexual exhibitionism and pedophilia. If a bunch of heterosexuals pranced around in the streets celebrating heterosexuality and engaged in public exhibitionism and tried to teach children about the heterosexual lifestyle, we would call out as creepy and perverse just like we do the LGBTQ community and their grooming activities. Your political side not only wants to embrace it like it's not sin and vilify us for calling it sin, but want to publicly shove it down our throats 24/7.

Comment