Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fascism in Oregon threatens Democracy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fascism in Oregon threatens Democracy.

Remember when six Texas House Democrats spread Covid-19 in DC while they blocked quorum in the Texas House to prevent legislation they didn't like? Remember when two Tennessee Democrats were voted to return after being expelled after disrupting proceedings? It seems in fascist Oregon, boycotting a legislative session is illegal and three lawmakers are no longer qualified for reelection. Of course, when the Tennessee members were expelled, Schumer ad others swiftly sent a letter to the DOJ to “take all steps necessary to uphold the democratic integrity of our nation’s legislative bodies.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Individual states can establish their own rules for eligibility as long as it is enforced equally

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
      Remember when six Texas House Democrats spread Covid-19 in DC while they blocked quorum in the Texas House to prevent legislation they didn't like? Remember when two Tennessee Democrats were voted to return after being expelled after disrupting proceedings? It seems in fascist Oregon, boycotting a legislative session is illegal and three lawmakers are no longer qualified for reelection. Of course, when the Tennessee members were expelled, Schumer ad others swiftly sent a letter to the DOJ to “take all steps necessary to uphold the democratic integrity of our nation’s legislative bodies.
      The people voted for that initiative, which makes it democratic, not fascist in order to stop the very obstruction of the democratic process that the undemocratic GOP was pulling off. They knew the law, and they knew the consequences of breaking it. Nothing fascist about it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        The people voted for that initiative, which makes it democratic, not fascist in order to stop the very obstruction of the democratic process that the undemocratic GOP was pulling off. They knew the law, and they knew the consequences of breaking it. Nothing fascist about it.
        So lawmakers protesting a law is undemocratic? That would mean that the Texas Democrats who left the state in 2021 to prevent quorum were equally "undemocratic". If mere obstruction of the democratic process makes one "undemocratic" then the Tennessee lawmakers who were protesting were also "undemocratic". When Oregonian Democrats walked out of chambers in 2001, was that undemocratic? What about Texas Democrats in 2003? What about Wisconsin and Indianan Democrats in 2011? What about Oregonian Democrats again in 2019?
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

So lawmakers protesting a law is undemocratic? That would mean that the Texas Democrats who left the state in 2021 to prevent quorum were equally "undemocratic". If mere obstruction of the democratic process makes one "undemocratic" then the Tennessee lawmakers who were protesting were also "undemocratic". When Oregonian Democrats walked out of chambers in 2001, was that undemocratic? What about Texas Democrats in 2003? What about Wisconsin and Indianan Democrats in 2011? What about Oregonian Democrats again in 2019?
          That was all different because.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            That was all different because.
            I'm waiting for Jim to say how Democrats can legitimately walk out of sessions without jeopardizing democracy yet Republicans can't.
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I'm waiting for Jim to say how Democrats can legitimately walk out of sessions without jeopardizing democracy yet Republicans can't.
              I can already predict the basic argument.

Essentially, the argument will be "Ends justifies the means". The democrats walking out are doing so for <morally justifiable reason> while the republicans are doing it for <morally dubious reasons> therefore the two aren't comparable and no double standards are invovled.

Comment

Because it's just different, that's why.

Comment