Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Students More Depressed Than Conservative...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberal Students More Depressed Than Conservative...

Interesting...

Conservative high school seniors less prone to depression than liberal counterparts

A recent study found that high school seniors that identified as liberal were more prone to depression than their conservative counterparts.

Columbia University surveyed more than 85,000 18-year-old teenagers from 130 private schools from 2005 to 2018, considering them conservative or liberal based on self-reporting. While all teenagers reported higher depressive affect scores after 2010, liberal students reported higher depressive scores than their counterparts, which were calculated by self-reports regarding their moods, self-esteem, self-derogation, loneliness, depressive episodes, and suicidal ideations and behavior.

"These findings indicate a growing mental health disparity between adolescents who identify with certain political beliefs," the study read. "It is, therefore, possible that the ideological lenses through which adolescents view the political climate differentially affect their mental well-being."

Of all respondents, liberal women reported the highest depressive affect, with liberal women without a college-educated parent topping the charts. More women tended to identify as liberal than men, with 22% reporting a left-leaning political ideology. About the same amount, 21% of men identified as conservative.

Those behind the study cited similar surveys that found "common aspects of a conservative identity are equally as protective for adolescent mental health as for adult mental health." However, when it came to black women, the education of their parents was more correlated with a healthy mental state because "conservatism alone was not protective for mental health."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...epression-poll

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8713953/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Interesting...

Ignorance is bliss :)

(That will probably stir things up - you can thank me later)

However, there is a strong positive correlation between education and liberal leaning tendencies. Conservative pundits would have us believe this is associated with 'indoctrination' - but as I've experienced the shift both in myself and in observing others, it is more simply the effect of learning on naivete. There are a large number of naive ideas about the world, about people, that are staples of conservative talking points.

How that correlates to depression would be a different matter, probably a bit more complex than my opening line to this post
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-15-2023, 09:01 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

However, there is a strong positive correlation between education and liberal leaning tendencies. Conservative pundits would have us believe this is associated with 'indoctrination' - but as I've experienced the shift both in myself and in observing others, it is more simply the effect of learning on naivete. There are a large number of naive ideas about the world, about people, that are staples of conservative talking points.

How that correlates to depression would be a different matter, probably a bit more complex than my opening line to this post
      Oh please! I suspect it may have more to do with religious beliefs. Godless leftists have no hope...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Makes sense. Liberals are generally a miserable lot because they always see themselves as victims. They are constantly looking for and finding "inequalities" in the world which feeds into their feelings of inadequacy and insecurity through confirmation bias. They also tend to be less religious, which deprives them of a source of hope, and those that are religious use their religion as a club to beat down others instead of using it to improve themselves.

So all things considered, this is not a particularly surprising survey.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Makes sense. Liberals are generally a miserable lot because they always see themselves as victims. They are constantly looking for and finding "inequalities" in the world which feeds into their feelings of inadequacy and insecurity through confirmation bias. They also tend to be less religious, which deprives them of a source of hope, and those that are religious use their religion as a club to beat down others instead of using it to improve themselves.

So all things considered, this is not a particularly surprising survey.
          And all they preach is doom and gloom. Climate change is going to destroy the world in 10 years, White Supremacist Terrorists are trying to blow everything up, You are the wrong gender, etc. Liberal children have no future to look forward to. No wonder they are depressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

And all they preach is doom and gloom. Climate change is going to destroy the world in 10 years, White Supremacist Terrorists are trying to blow everything up, You are the wrong gender, etc. Liberal children have no future to look forward to. No wonder they are depressed.
            One of the reasons liberal talk radio has been an abject failure, because nobody actually wants to listen to that pessimistic crap. The thing that made Rush Limbaugh such a success is that his show was always fun and optimistic.

Comment

Good to hear that you are finally admitting that you are no longer conservative.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Others have said it as well, but there is a "severity" perspective/reality mismatch that may be driving many of these issues that can have a depressive effect. Think of it like the opposite of your Naivety perspective.

I'll give you the classic example. "Police kill unarmed black man"

Liberals: "Police have declared open season on black people!"
                Reality: There are < 50 incidents per year of this happening.

To illustrate: Here is reporting on a poll:
                https://nypost.com/2021/02/27/cases-...overestimated/

In it, Liberal/Very liberals believed that >1000 unarmed black people were killed in 2019 by cops. Reality: 27.

That's not Liberals "knowing" about problems, while conservatives are naieve, it's liberals thinking the severity is much worse than it is.

Is it a problem when it happens? Yes. But is it the problem liberals think? No.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

A number of studies and polls in recent years have reached similar conclusions.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Others have said it as well, but there is a "severity" perspective/reality mismatch that may be driving many of these issues that can have a depressive effect. Think of it like the opposite of your Naivety perspective.

I'll give you the classic example. "Police kill unarmed black man"

Liberals: "Police have declared open season on black people!"
                    Reality: There are < 50 incidents per year of this happening.

To illustrate: Here is reporting on a poll:
                    https://nypost.com/2021/02/27/cases-...overestimated/

In it, Liberal/Very liberals believed that >1000 unarmed black people were killed in 2019 by cops. Reality: 27.

That's not Liberals "knowing" about problems, while conservatives are naieve, it's liberals thinking the severity is much worse than it is.

Is it a problem when it happens? Yes. But is it the problem liberals think? No.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      "According to Pew’s research white liberals/Democrats are much more likely than their conservative/Republican peers to have been diagnosed with one or more mental conditions."
                      Come on guys, did we really need a poll to know that?

Comment

Liberalism itself is a mental disorder.

Comment

Liberal Students More Depressed Than Conservative...
                          They're also uglier, which might have something to do with it. The more liberal a person is, the more butt ugly. IMO

Comment

Oh please! I suspect it may have more to do with religious beliefs. Godless leftists have no hope...
                            It would be interesting to see how that pans out, though I agree with you that faith in God can be a strong force towards giving us the capacity to deal positively with trials in this world.

If we let it.

If however, you are trying to somehow imply that more conservatives have 'true' faith - that is simply false. A lot of what passes for faith these days in conservative circles is mixed in with a lot of fear and a good bit of hate. And faith that incorporates those things is not true faith.

But then again, as faith can sustain us through difficulties, so can naivete. Not knowing about, or denying, the problems in the world is one way to create a lighter view of life - especially if we are not directly or immediately impacted by those problems. Feeding children really simple right/wrong sorts of answers answers about the problems in life will tend to make them happier. So, It's going to get complicated sorting out all the causes and effects.

But where you are correct is that living a life that seeks God in Christ, and true goodness, a life based on hope, love, and righteousness, such a life will lead to a happier life and more productive life overall.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

They're also uglier, which might have something to do with it. The more liberal a person is, the more butt ugly. IMO
                              Then how do you explain ME????

Comment