Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Students More Depressed Than Conservative...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Whatever depression you see is projection. Perhaps take a long look in a mirror and see what you've become?
    I don't know about depressed but you have become paranoid and angry at everyone and everything since you developed TDS.

Comment

The correlation between education and the abandonment of faith is simple reality Sparko. It has nothing to do with 'name-calling'. However, and unfortunately, responding to stating that reality with the accusation it is name-calling is nothing but an ad-hominem attack designed to distract from what is an inconvenient reality: that there is a negative correlation between education and faith. The more people learn, the more they come face to face with the ignorance that drives many religious positions. A very, very simple example is the attempt at the conservative Church I once attended to indoctrinate its youth with Young Earth Creationism. I can not tell you how many of them who pursued degrees in the sciences that lost their faith based on the fact that the Church itself drilled into their heads the idea that if the Earth was more than 10,000 years old, the Bible itself was no longer to be trusted, and Christian faith was not true.

These people were well meaning, but ignorant. And the consequence of that ignorance was tragic.
      So since you are such a genius, I guess you are going to abandon your faith next, right? After all, you are too smart to fall for all that religious nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Oh please! I suspect it may have more to do with religious beliefs. Godless leftists have no hope...
        Not all those on the conservative wing are religious.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

And all they preach is doom and gloom. Climate change is going to destroy the world in 10 years, White Supremacist Terrorists are trying to blow everything up, You are the wrong gender, etc. Liberal children have no future to look forward to. No wonder they are depressed.
          I do not think anyone's grandchildren have a great deal to look forward to insofar as climate change and environmental degradation are concerned. Imagine the planet when CPs two grandchildren are both seventy!
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I do not think anyone's grandchildren have a great deal to look forward to insofar as climate change and environmental degradation are concerned. Imagine the planet when CPs two grandchildren are both seventy!
            I imagine they will live in a fine world because by then the woke liberals will have self destructed and their lies will have been exposed. They will probably look back at this time in history as "the mad years" or simply call it "the insanity"

Comment

I imagine they will live in a fine world because by then the woke liberals will have self destructed and their lies will have been exposed. They will probably look back at this time in history as "the mad years" or simply call it "the insanity"
              I was considering rather more important environmental issues.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I was considering rather more important environmental issues.
                Part of the liberal madness. According to liberals we should have all be swimming in the ocean 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Churches' inaccurate teachings (e.g. much of the material found in Got Answers) are responsible for a large number of tertiary educated people losing their belief ... either in the churches or in God. I won't raise any contrary argument whatever. Accurate teachings by churches would result in a very different outcome.
                  We can agree on that aspect. I think we need to take seriously Jesus's admonition about assessing the strength of our forces, and picking battles accordingly. You can't prove the resurrection happened, you can't show the Earth is < 10,000 years old, life didn't evolve etc. A decision to believe in the Resurrection of Christ must be based on a sober understanding of what can and can't be shown true scientifically/objectively about what the scriptures teach, as well as a sober understanding of what they teach vs what is simply an artifact of culture. Without faith it is impossible to please God. And it will never be that a person can believe in God without faith being part of the equation.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

So since you are such a genius, I guess you are going to abandon your faith next, right? After all, you are too smart to fall for all that religious nonsense.

I take that to mean you have no plans to engage in any serious manner on the topic?
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Neither are the distortions you come up with. You've spopouted off nonsense every tie you talk. I think you might be getting why we don't take you seriously.

my posting here is definitely a reflection of how you post about conservatives.
                      I haven't come up with any distortions CD. All I laid out was a potential scenario that acknowledges most of the claims here but that offered an explanation for why liberals might be more depressed than conservatives that violates the implicit assumption from the conservatives that the conservatives are the ones in the right and liberals are the ones in the wrong.An And it seems to have hit home on some fairly sensitive areas given the lack of rational responses to it.

But as to rationality, there is very little rational coming out of conservative politics right now. You have DeSantis in a knock down drag out brawl with anything he disagrees with in Florida, including an vendetta against Disney for daring to cross him, you have a narcissistic mysoginistic fool that still has millions of people believing his lies about the election and who would think nothing of taking the presidency by force if he could figure out a way to make it happen, you have Marjorie Taylor Greene and her Q-Anon nonsense and hate rhetoric against survivors of a mass school shooting, you have Santos who is nothing more than a failed Trump wanna-be about to end up in Jail. And the list goes on and on and on. And to top it off, you have anyone and everyone with any sense in the rebublican party either run out of town or cowered into submission by the aforementioned idiots. For the one's left, the Yellow running down their backs is so bright it could light up the dark side of the moon.

It's a really sad state of affairs for the entire country on so many fronts.
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-16-2023, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Part of the liberal madness. According to liberals we should have all be swimming in the ocean 10 years ago.
                        That isn't true, and you know it isn't true. And I know it's sarcasm, not a lie. But the bottom line is, AGW is real, and that the impact of what we have done already will take decades to fully manifest. And short sighted people led down the primrose path by big oil generated pseudo-science will not realize the true cost of what is happening until long after it is way too late to do anything meaningful about it.

The science about global warming is real. The consequences of monotonically increasing CO2 levels is real. The predictions of both warming and sea-level rise are all within the associated statistical margins of error despite what conservative big oil science sources may have told you. If anything the melting of the ice sheets is exceeding predictions, and sea-level rise is going to be on the high end of predictions rather than the low end.

https://alaska-native-news.com/unexp...ections/67717/

Comment

Especially if those polititians supported by so many in american conservative politics are the one's driving the train.

Comment

Especially if those polititians supported by so many in american conservative politics are the one's driving the train.
                            I agree with regard to many aspects of contemporary US politics but the impact of climate change is global and that will affect all nations.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That isn't true, and you know it isn't true. And I know it's sarcasm, not a lie. But the bottom line is, AGW is real, and that the impact of what we have done already will take decades to fully manifest. And short sighted people led down the primrose path by big oil generated pseudo-science will not realize the true cost of what is happening until long after it is way too late to do anything meaningful about it.

The science about global warming is real. The consequences of monotonically increasing CO2 levels is real. The predictions of both warming and sea-level rise are all within the associated statistical margins of error despite what conservative big oil science sources may have told you. If anything the melting of the ice sheets is exceeding predictions, and sea-level rise is going to be on the high end of predictions rather than the low end.

https://alaska-native-news.com/unexp...ections/67717/
                              It seems that some prefer caricature to recognising the true impact of what is going to be a global catastrophe, and not just for humans.

ETA H5N1has made the jump to mammals. The next pandemic could be just around the idiomatic corner.
                              Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 05-16-2023, 06:04 PM.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It seems that some prefer caricature to recognising the true impact of what is going to be a global catastrophe, and not just for humans.
                                As I mentioned earlier, the Republican Party in America is the anti-science party, a party that has cultivated a base with a strong anti-science bias. That bias has put them squarely on the wrong side of the tracks wrt Global warming and cost a large number of people their lives during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Comment