Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Tips for machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

They have no people to check you out, but they seem to have people available to police the line to the checkout machines, and then another person standing at the door wanting to inspect your cart to make sure you aren't stealing something. If you don't trust me to check myself out without stealing then maybe you should hire someone to check me out instead of using a machine.
    I just returned from Walmart where I was stopped and my bill was gone over with a fine-toothed comb. I made sure to let them know I resented being treated like a thief.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I just returned from Walmart where I was stopped and my bill was gone over with a fine-toothed comb. I made sure to let them know I resented being treated like a thief.
      Tell them "If you don't trust me to check myself out without stealing, maybe you guys should hire cashiers to check people out instead?"

Comment

Like I said, I just keep walking when they ask to check my receipt. Or you can use the line my wife once used: "If you think I'm shoplifting, then call the police and have me arrested."
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Like I said, I just keep walking when they ask to check my receipt. Or you can use the line my wife once used: "If you think I'm shoplifting, then call the police and have me arrested."
          I've done that before and it will be my response from now on.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've done that before. I've also had the alarm go off before as I walked out the door, and just kept walking. I could hear the door greeter saying " sir...excuse me sir.." I just kept walking and didn't turn around to even acknowledge the situation.

Comment

It's probably my anti-social side talking, but ever since self-checkout became a thing, that has always been my preference, and I can often get the job done significantly faster than the disgruntled minimum wage employee at the checkout counter. It works out especially well when I'm running errands on my bike since I can just scan the items right in the milk crate on the rear rack instead of having to unpack and repack everything.
              That makes sense. It's not a difficult task, but it is work that I think the shopper should at least get some discount for.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

That makes sense. It's not a difficult task, but it is work that I think the shopper should at least get some discount for.
                Cost savings for the business almost never translate into cost savings for the customer.

Comment

And if they do and you were not shoplifting you can sue them for unlawful detainment. Heck, without evidence of shoplifting neither they nor the police have probably cause to search your receipt or buggy. It's a violation of the 4th amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

yeah! They should have a Choose your Tip on the screen where you can choose whether to get 10/20/ or 30% off of your bill depending on how well you feel you did in the self-checkout lane!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

yeah! They should have a Choose your Tip on the screen where you can choose whether to get 10/20/ or 30% off of your bill depending on how well you feel you did in the self-checkout lane!
                      I approve this message.

Comment

Best tip for a machine?

Stay out of the rain. You might rust.

Comment

Best tip for a machine?

Stay out of the rain. You might rust.
                          If a machine or robot ever asks me for a tip, its getting a stick of chewing gum.

Comment

I have never understood the concept of tipping, which, if you think about it, is nothing more than the odd practice of paying more than you are legally obligated to pay. I can sort of understand it in a restaurant where the servers are deliberately underpaid and expected to make it up with tips (which I think is a rotten business practice), but I really don't understand it in a self-service situation, or where you're just picking up an order. Which is to say that it is rare for me to tip, and when I do, you could probably accuse me of under-tipping just because the idea of it doesn't make any sense to me.
                            This is why I LOVE Little Caesar's Pizza Vending Machines!!!! I order and pay online, then go in and punch in a code, get my pizza, and leave without even interacting with anybody --- no 'opportunity' to tip!!!!

8b22ede9-3e58-49ca-a17b-e91a2bb13d68-full36x25_LittleCaesarsRESERVENREADYImage5.jpg
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This is why I LOVE Little Caesar's Pizza Vending Machines!!!! I order and pay online, then go in and punch in a code, get my pizza, and leave without even interacting with anybody --- no 'opportunity' to tip!!!!

8b22ede9-3e58-49ca-a17b-e91a2bb13d68-full36x25_LittleCaesarsRESERVENREADYImage5.jpg
                              Now if you could only get a decent pizza instead of something from Little Caesar's

Comment

Now if you could only get a decent pizza instead of something from Little Caesar's
                                They'll do in a pinch --- we get whatever is on special (particularly because we like the thin crust) then add our own bacon and extra cheese and stuff and stick it under the broiler for a few minutes.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment