Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Tips for machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for machines?

Source: https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/self-checkout-machines-ask-tips-latest-squeeze-customers

Self-checkout machines now ask for tips in latest squeeze on customers

Consumers already contending with a squeeze on their bank accounts due to inflation are now facing more pressure as businesses introduce new tipping features at self-checkout machines.

Companies, including airports, bakeries, coffee shops and sports stadiums, have now introduced the self-serve tipping option, where customers can leave tips including the typical 20%, despite facing minimal to no interaction with any employee, according to a recent report by The Wall Street Journal.

Customers report feeling obligated to leave a tip as they question where and to whom the extra money is actually going, but businesses are increasingly embracing the option to boost pay for workers outside of salaries, according to WSJ.

William Michael Lynn, a consumer behavior and tip culture professor at Cornell University's Nolan School of Hotel Administration, told the newspaper that businesses "are taking advantage of an opportunity," and "who wouldn't want to get extra money at very little cost if you could?"

At the start of 2023, consumers were already feeling the frustration as unexpected companies were not only requesting tips, but some businesses were asking for up to 30%, according to The Associated Press.

Customers, including a Wall Street day trader and college students, shared their experiences with leaving tips at fast-food restaurants with drive-through service and brand name coffee shops, like Starbucks, with Fox News Digital in January.

"I feel like if there's an automatic question to ask for tipping, there should be fine print stating where these tips go," day trader Shaun MacDonald told Fox.

"It doesn't have to be huge, but it should be in writing on the screen saying these tips help out employees or these tips go to all employees, which includes management. It should be specified."

© Copyright Original Source

Tipping has gotten out of control lately. Like when I ordered a pizza from Papa John's a month ago. I was charged for the PIzza, then they added on a delivery fee, then they wanted me to tip the driver too! Either charge me a delivery fee OR ask me for a tip, not both. Same with delivery services like Uber Eats. You have to pay for the delivery and then they expect a tip on top of that?

We need to be like Europe. They don't tip in Europe (at least not in Germany which I visit regularly). Employees are paid a salary and don't get or expect tips.

And I durn sure don't think we should tip machines. Where is the tip going? Probably in the pocket of the business owner. Extra profit. Heck I think if you use a machine to checkout like at walmart, they should be paying YOU a tip in the form of a discount.

Heck I think if you use a machine to checkout like at walmart, they should be paying YOU a tip in the form of a discount.
    Yeah, I don't work there. Once I leave my work, the last thing I want to do is go to the grocery store and ring up groceries. Sometimes I want to drop kick those checkout machines right in screen when they say " welcome valued customer" .

Comment

Awhile back I started getting hit up for tips when I'd go pick up a pizza.

The reason that I don't have it delivered is to save on the tip.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Yeah, I don't work there. Once I leave my work, the last thing I want to do is go to the grocery store and ring up groceries. Sometimes I want to drop kick those checkout machines right in screen when they say " welcome valued customer" .
        Particularly after seeing all the "New Low Prices" signs that actually denote a price increase.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Particularly after seeing all the "New Low Prices" signs that actually denote a price increase.
          I literally wanted to get up on a soapbox the other day in the grocery store I was so infuriated. Then I thought, no, i'd just end up on youtube under some crazy person in public compilation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It's all being done right before everyone's eyes.

Comment

There are pressures and cons for your money in many ways today. Simply everyone must learn to exercise their 'will' and say NO!

I did a cartoon for the newspaper once that showed a man and a vending machine with a sign 'Deposit $1.00. The man deposited $1.00, and the machine responded; 'THANK YOU!
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-15-2023, 07:52 AM.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Edited by a Moderator
                Last edited by Sparko; 05-15-2023, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I have never understood the concept of tipping, which, if you think about it, is nothing more than the odd practice of paying more than you are legally obligated to pay. I can sort of understand it in a restaurant where the servers are deliberately underpaid and expected to make it up with tips (which I think is a rotten business practice), but I really don't understand it in a self-service situation, or where you're just picking up an order. Which is to say that it is rare for me to tip, and when I do, you could probably accuse me of under-tipping just because the idea of it doesn't make any sense to me.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

They have no people to check you out, but they seem to have people available to police the line to the checkout machines, and then another person standing at the door wanting to inspect your cart to make sure you aren't stealing something. If you don't trust me to check myself out without stealing then maybe you should hire someone to check me out instead of using a machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I have never understood the concept of tipping, which, if you think about it, is nothing more than the odd practice of paying more than you are legally obligated to pay. I can sort of understand it in a restaurant where the servers are deliberately underpaid and expected to make it up with tips (which I think is a rotten business practice), but I really don't understand it in a self-service situation, or where you're just picking up an order. Which is to say that it is rare for me to tip, and when I do, you could probably accuse me of under-tipping just because the idea of it doesn't make any sense to me.
                      Yeah I think of tipping as rewarding good service by someone who is being underpaid to begin with. If the service is good I will tip generously, If the service is average I will tip lower, if the service is bad, I will not tip, or give a very small tip to make sure they understand I was not happy. I once left a penny tip at a Pizza Hut because the waitress was terrible. As we were leaving she came out of the door into the parking lot and screamed at me, "What the ***** is this?" and threw the penny at me. I said, I see you got my message. You are the worst waitress I have ever had and I wanted you to know it.

Comment

Yeah, I don't work there. Once I leave my work, the last thing I want to do is go to the grocery store and ring up groceries. Sometimes I want to drop kick those checkout machines right in screen when they say " welcome valued customer".
                        It's probably my anti-social side talking, but ever since self-checkout became a thing, that has always been my preference, and I can often get the job done significantly faster than the disgruntled minimum wage employee at the checkout counter. It works out especially well when I'm running errands on my bike since I can just scan the items right in the milk crate on the rear rack instead of having to unpack and repack everything.

Comment

It's probably my anti-social side talking, but ever since self-checkout became a thing, that has always been my preference, and I can often get the job done significantly faster than the disgruntled minimum wage employee at the checkout counter. It works out especially well when I'm running errands on my bike since I can just scan the items right in the milk crate on the rear rack instead of having to unpack and repack everything.
                          I use Sam's club app when shopping there. I can scan the items into the app as I put them in my cart, then just walk out the door. What I dislike is having to stand in line to use the self-checkout lanes. If I have to stand in line anyway, I at least expect someone to check me out. The checkout people at the grocery store are a lot faster than I am at a self-checkout lane. They can just scan the items as fast as they can move them over the scanner. In the self checkout lanes you have to scan one item at a time, then put it in the bag, then do the next one, and so on. Takes forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            They have no people to check you out, but they seem to have people available to police the line to the checkout machines, and then another person standing at the door wanting to inspect your cart to make sure you aren't stealing something. If you don't trust me to check myself out without stealing then maybe you should hire someone to check me out instead of using a machine.
                            Another one of life's annoyances. My wife once asked why they stop you at the door to check the receipt, and the guy said, "Oh, we just want to make sure we didn't overcharge your for anything." Yeah, right.

How I deal with it, when they ask, "Do you have your receipt?" I say, "Yes I do. Thank you for asking!" and I keep walking. What can they do? I paid for the items in my cart which legally makes it my property, so they have no right to inspect it.

Comment

Another one of life's annoyances. My wife once asked why they stop you at the door to check the receipt, and the guy said, "Oh, we just want to make sure we didn't overcharge your for anything." Yeah, right.

How I deal with it, when they ask, "Do you have your receipt?" I say, "Yes I do. Thank you for asking!" and I keep walking. What can they do? I paid for the items in my cart which legally makes it my property, so they have no right to inspect it.
                              Given that actual thieves just walk out of stores in plain sight and they don't do anything, what can they do?

Comment