Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hero Marine Charged With manslaughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hero Marine Charged With manslaughter

No good deed goes unpunished...

Marine veteran Daniel Penny arraigned in NYC subway chokehold death

Jordan Neely had history of violent attacks on subway riders, including breaking a 67-year-old woman's nose in 2021

Marine veteran Daniel Penny was arraigned Friday in Manhattan Criminal Court on one count of second-degree manslaughter for the subway chokehold death of Jordan Neely.

A judge agreed to release Penny, a 24-year-old college student, on a $100,000 bail package signed off by prosecutors and secured by bondsman Ira Judelson.

Penny turned himself into police early Friday for fatally choking the erratic homeless man May 1 on a northbound F train in a case that has polarized New York City.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/marine-ve...ath-surrenders
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

AOC, MSM, and social media is just totally creating a false reality about this, much like they did with Michael Brown. This and the incident where the homeless man is getting charged for a hate crime for defecating on a gay flag is making me seriously consider leaving city life.

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        AOC, MSM, and social media is just totally creating a false reality about this, much like they did with Michael Brown. This and the incident where the homeless man is getting charged for a hate crime for defecating on a gay flag is making me seriously consider leaving city life.
        It is a no win situation, either this hero goes to prison or NYC burns...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

The song is what the Brits played after losing at Yorktown

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Manslaughter seems to be an appropriate charge. While he did good, he kept force up well after the threat had passed. It's clear he wasn't intending to kill, and the death was unintended. My expectation is that he pleads down to something that results in short (or no) jail time.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Manslaughter seems to be an appropriate charge. While he did good, he kept force up well after the threat had passed. It's clear he wasn't intending to kill, and the death was unintended. My expectation is that he pleads down to something that results in short (or no) jail time.
                The problem with a choke hold is that you wait for the person to quit struggling and it might already be too late.

Comment

The song is what the Brits played after losing at Yorktown
                  Cool!

Comment

The problem with a choke hold is that you wait for the person to quit struggling and it might already be too late.
                    You're right, but If I remember clearly, he held him in the hold for around 15 minutes, well after he had stopped struggling. I doubt this would have been as much of an issue if it had been like 3 min or so, and he was released after the threat was done. I think "reasonable force in defense of others" would have been a valid defense there, and no charges would have come.

Comment

It was a standard 'sleep hold' we learned in the Corps, it can be deadly, but not necessarily. I suspect that this guy had drugs in his system...
                      Last edited by seer; 05-12-2023, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You're right, but If I remember clearly, he held him in the hold for around 15 minutes, well after he had stopped struggling.
                        Where did you get that?

Comment

Where did you get that?
                          https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-subwa...s-clash-police

Comment

Neely has also attempted to abduct a 7 year old girl back in like 2015 or so as well

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Neely has also attempted to abduct a 7 year old girl back in like 2015 or so as well
                              To be frank, this is entirely irrelevant. The veteran (probably) didn't know Neely from Adam. Whatever Neely did in the past, has no bearing on the veteran's decisions in that moment. The only information that truly matters is the scenario immediately surrounding the chokehold.

Comment