Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Homeless man charged with hate crimes for defecating on two LGBTQ+ Pride flags: NYPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeless man charged with hate crimes for defecating on two LGBTQ+ Pride flags: NYPD

So glad NY has its priorities in order...

A homeless man has been charged with several hate crimes for defecating on an LGBTQ+ Pride flag and wiping his behind with another at a Manhattan restaurant, according to the NYPD.

Fred Innocent, 45, walked into Buceo 95, a tapas bar on W. 95th St. and Broadway on the Upper West Side, on April 15 at about 10 a.m. as the day crew was setting up and grabbed two rainbow flags off of a table, cops said. He relieved himself on one of the banners, according to police, then cleaned himself with another.

“This was a total hate crime,” restaurant owner Courtney Barroll said after hearing of the arrest. “He came in within 15 minutes of us opening up the restaurant. He could have gone to Popeyes or McDonald’s around the corner. He could have used napkins.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...nfe-story.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I won't say anything about his obvious innocence.

Comment

Putting a crucifix in a glass of urine is cool, but pooping on a gay flag is illegal.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Putting a crucifix in a glass of urine is cool, but pooping on a gay flag is illegal.
        If it had been an American flag the same crowd acting so horrified would be cheering his courage.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          If it had been an American flag the same crowd acting so horrified would be cheering his courage.
          exactly...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

But he's Innocent! Literally.

Comment

The homeless can leave steaming piles of crap virtually anywhere but the left only cares when it's done on a LGBTQ+++ flag.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Honestly, my opinion depends entirely on whether the flags were his own property, or someone else's.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Honestly, my opinion depends entirely on whether the flags were his own property, or someone else's.
                  I have see Antifa rip the flag out of the hands of a Patriot and rip it up, with cops standing there - nothing, no arrests...

Comment

No doubt he vandalized private property, but was it a "hate crime?"

I don't like the idea of a "hate crime" in the first place. I think crimes should be charged equally for all. Not based on what group you belong to.

If you murder someone then the penalty should be the same for you no matter who or why you murdered them, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Exactly! Why can't we call burning the American flag a hate crime then?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I don't like the idea of a "hate crime" in the first place. I think crimes should be charged equally for all. Not based on what group you belong to.

If you murder someone then the penalty should be the same for you no matter who or why you murdered them, for example.
                        When it comes to "hate crimes," my opinion is more nuanced. I do believe that certain actions can elevate minor crimes to a higher status, and be related to hate. There is, after all, a very large difference in harm caused by burning a tire on a black family's lawn, and burning a wooden cross.

As for your stance on "murder", would you say that pre-meditated assassination is no worse than killing the man you found in bed with your wife when you came home early? The law has, and has for a very long time. We can argue that racial bias isn't a strong enough motivator, but there is already precedence for such a distinction.

Comment

When it comes to "hate crimes," my opinion is more nuanced. I do believe that certain actions can elevate minor crimes to a higher status, and be related to hate. There is, after all, a very large difference in harm caused by burning a tire on a black family's lawn, and burning a wooden cross.

As for your stance on "murder", would you say that pre-meditated assassination is no worse than killing the man you found in bed with your wife when you came home early? The law has, and has for a very long time. We can argue that racial bias isn't a strong enough motivator, but there is already precedence for such a distinction.
                          I think it's the designation of motive that's the issue. Sure, someone that murders for revenge (say, the victim had raped his wife) would make more sense than someone who murders because the victim's skin was the wrong shade, but the motivation is sussed out in trial. The charge is still "murder" of some sort. If the motivation was racial then the judge or jury would take that into consideration when sentencing.

It seems to me that the whole purpose for having "hate crimes" is to appease one or more demographics and assuring that sentencing is guaranteed to be harsher than for other motivations. And that ain't right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I think it's the designation of motive that's the issue. Sure, someone that murders for revenge (say, the victim had raped his wife) would make more sense than someone who murders because the victim's skin was the wrong shade, but the motivation is sussed out in trial. The charge is still "murder" of some sort. If the motivation was racial then the judge or jury would take that into consideration when sentencing.

It seems to me that the whole purpose for having "hate crimes" is to appease one or more demographics and assuring that sentencing is guaranteed to be harsher than for other motivations. And that ain't right.
                            It is, but Murder 1 and Murder 2 are very different penalty-wise. "Charged with a hate crime" more often means "Charged with crime X, that has aggravating circumstance "<x> bias"

Comment

It is, but Murder 1 and Murder 2 are very different penalty-wise. "Charged with a hate crime" more often means "Charged with crime X, that has aggravating circumstance "<x> bias"
                              OK, the homeless man is charged with a "hate crime" because it was a LGBTQ+ flag he used. If it was a US flag then it wouldn't have been a hate crime. His actual motive, though, was he needed to relieve himself and that was the flag that was available. He should be charged with vandalism. If it is revealed at trial that he specifically chose that restaurant because of that flag, then that would be considered in sentencing. I think that's sufficient.

Comment