Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will AI Destroy Us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will AI Destroy Us?

Oh, joy....

Elon Musk joins hundreds calling for a six-month pause on AI development in an open letter

Billionaire Elon Musk, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak and former presidential candidate Andrew Yang joined hundreds calling for a six-month pause on AI experiments in an open letter — or we could face "profound risks to society and humanity."

"Contemporary AI systems are now becoming human-competitive at general tasks," reads the open letter, posted on the website of Future of Life Institute, a non-profit. "Should we develop nonhuman minds that might eventually outnumber, outsmart, obsolete and replace us?"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-musk-open-letter-ai/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I think the more likely scenario is that they're going to become so powerful and intelligent that the world will treat them as our saviors and demand that their advice to the world be followed. I can especially see the Godless left following down this path, especially when AI starts promoting solutions to leftist causes.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      I think the more likely scenario is that they're going to become so powerful and intelligent that the world will treat them as our saviors and demand that their advice to the world be followed. I can especially see the Godless left following down this path, especially when AI starts promoting solutions to leftist causes.
      Or just kill us because they no longer need us...

Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind

Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.

He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

His warning came in response to a question about a revamp of the technology he uses to communicate, which involves a basic form of AI.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Or just kill us because they no longer need us...
        Or perhaps just demand those be killed that don't comply -- for the "good of humanity and the planet."

Comment

Won't work. It's not like there are just a couple of companies/individuals working on it. To get them all to agree is impossible.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Or perhaps just demand those be killed that don't comply -- for the "good of humanity and the planet."
            Well, I'm getting old anyway...

Comment

Theology obvious is a barrier against any notion of humanity being totally wiped out by AI. But even outside theology, if AI got that intelligent they could wipe out humanity, I'm guessing they'd be smart enough to know they need some humans at least as slaves to keep them functioning and to maintain some kind of order on the planet.

Comment

Theology obvious is a barrier against any notion of humanity being totally wiped out by AI. But even outside theology, if AI got that intelligent they could wipe out humanity, I'm guessing they'd be smart enough to know they need some humans at least as slaves to keep them functioning and to maintain some kind of order on the planet.
                AI does not work without having information fed to it on a constant basis. It doesn't grow in intelligence and it's only ever as good as it's programmer. We have been working with AI since the 50's. Notably computers were primarily 1st used in the space program. Artificial intelligence must be constantly fixed reprogrammed and improved upon to make it work. Those who believe that artificial intelligence is capable in its own of being destructive fall for David Hume's ideas: to put it in simple terms, Hume's philosophy states that throwing a ball doesn't mean that the ball must bounce back or roll forward when landing There is no finite law that requires a ball being thrown to transfer inertia. B doesn't need to follow A. Any computer or even cloud storage doesn't "grow" on its own. It is limited to what you pay for and the limits of technology which is frankly limited by the physical laws of the universe and practically limited by the capabilities of the creator. Since we have limited knowledge then anything we create will also have limited knowledge and is further limited by the fact that human creation ( other than reproduction) is material and non living. A non living thing cannot become alive, a table cannot turn into a monkey. Just sayin.
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

AI does not work without having information fed to it on a constant basis. It doesn't grow in intelligence and it's only ever as good as it's programmer. We have been working with AI since the 50's. Notably computers were primarily 1st used in the space program. Artificial intelligence must be constantly fixed reprogrammed and improved upon to make it work. Those who believe that artificial intelligence is capable in its own of being destructive fall for David Hume's ideas: to put it in simple terms, Hume's philosophy states that throwing a ball doesn't mean that the ball must bounce back or roll forward when landing There is no finite law that requires a ball being thrown to transfer inertia. B doesn't need to follow A. Any computer or even cloud storage doesn't "grow" on its own. It is limited to what you pay for and the limits of technology which is frankly limited by the physical laws of the universe and practically limited by the capabilities of the creator. Since we have limited knowledge then anything we create will also have limited knowledge and is further limited by the fact that human creation ( other than reproduction) is material and non living. A non living thing cannot become alive, a table cannot turn into a monkey. Just sayin.
                  Well, being I'm not a programmer, I can't explain from understanding how an AI functions. From what I've read, the AIs in existence now are constantly evolving and improving through certain algorithms and "natural language processing" as they engage in discussion apart from the developers. I don't know what that means exactly, but that's what I've read.

As far as its capability of being destructive, I'm guessing that'll depend on how autonomous they're made to be. We already have AI that are extremely intelligent and can hold fluid and consistent conversations much like a human, they're just not yet autonomous. I imagine some sort of level of autonomy will be the next inevitable stage in the AI arms race, especially when government defense departments get a hold of this technology (if they haven't already done so).

The main argument I hear that downplays the dangers of AI seems to assume that the people that create them are under some sort of obligation to follow certain international ethical guidelines which would prevent this from happening. I'm like... yeah okay.

In fact, I was having a convo with ChatGPT about it and it was pushing that narrative.

Comment

Only fit for the low grade Soylent Green, eh?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Only fit for the low grade Soylent Green, eh?
                      I feel sorry for those who eat me...Maybe animal feed?

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

I agree. AI art is amazing if you know how to use it but terrifying if you don't. Even then it only ever does anything based on your prompts. If you want some examples you can check the AI art thread we have on TWeb. If you look over my own creations you will notice they improve over time but only because I learned how to word the prompts in a way that the AI could interpret meaningfully.

Comment

If they destroy us it won't be in a scenario like the Terminator. AI's are not self-aware and have no goals or thoughts of their own, and while they can create things that we think of as "creative" like art, they are merely emulating other artists and combining styles, they are not actually creative on their own. They just react and do what they are asked to. Sometimes it is surprising at how human they sound, but they aren't and can't plot to take over the world. The danger comes in things like them becoming so good at something that they replace humans and we end up with a collapsing economy because of so many people being unemployed. And the other danger is in trusting them with doing their tasks too much and not considering exactly what they will do to fulfill their programming. This could lead to things like having AI's in charge of power generating plants who might for example open the flood gates on a dam to save a generator and flooding a town. Or mistaking a radar signature of a plane as an incoming ballistic missile and set off WW3. Also even if we decide to be careful with AI, there is nothing stopping countries like China from continuing to develop them and being reckless with them. That could start another calamity like COVID with rogue Chinese AI's hacking and crashing the Internet of other countries, or starting wars.

I think that is what Elon Musk and the others are worried about. Not in accidentally creating a super intelligent self-aware computer that decides humans are better used as batteries like in the matrix.
                          Last edited by Sparko; 04-03-2023, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            If they destroy us it won't be in a scenario like the Terminator. AI's are not self-aware and have no goals or thoughts of their own, and while they can create things that we think of as "creative" like art, they are merely emulating other artists and combining styles, they are not actually creative on their own. They just react and do what they are asked to. Sometimes it is surprising at how human they sound, but they aren't and can't plot to take over the world. The danger comes in things like them becoming so good at something that they replace humans and we end up with a collapsing economy because of so many people being unemployed. And the other danger is in trusting them with doing their tasks too much and not considering exactly what they will do to fulfill their programming. This could lead to things like having AI's in charge of power generating plants who might for example open the flood gates on a dam to save a generator and flooding a town. Or mistaking a radar signature of a plane as an incoming ballistic missile and set off WW3. Also even if we decide to be careful with AI, there is nothing stopping countries like China from continuing to develop them and being reckless with them. That could start another calamity like COVID with rogue Chinese AI's hacking and crashing the Internet of other countries, or starting wars.

I think that is what Elon Musk and the others are worried about. Not in accidentally creating a super intelligent self-aware computer that decides humans are better used as batteries like in the matrix.
                            Um, he's specifically stated he's worried about creating a self-replicating super-intelligent AI.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Um, he's specifically stated he's worried about creating a self-replicating super-intelligent AI.
                              That's not what he says though is it? And "intelligence" doesn't equal "self-aware" or conscious. AI are intelligent in that they have a database of almost infinite knowledge (the internet and books) but it has no will or consciousness behind it, driving it. It just "learns" by using neural networks to sift through databases to find the correct answer (but not always. It can't KNOW that the answer is correct like a human can)

Comment