Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Nashville School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

This country has a sort of mass delusion that has been long infused into a large part of it's population: That somehow having free access to guns and the violent crime that allows is worth the ability to some day, maybe, be able to shoot at an invaliding russian tank from your bedroom window. It's really pretty stupid, but just watch as hoards of gun lovers on this site alone take me to task on my 'ignorance' as to how important the 2nd amendment it so our 'safety'.

I am indeed utterly tired of watching people that otherwise are decent and compassionate people argue for the right to let idiots and pschopaths purchase weopons at their local Wal-Mart that can kill a dozen people in as many seconds, who then use them to mow down children in schools, shoppers in malls and so on.

It's a sort of mass insanity that has no known solution.
    Gee, It sure is easy to vilify tens of millions of honest, God fearing, law abiding gun owners who have never pointed a weapon at another human being in their life when you mock them with straw men about shooting Russian tanks from bedroom windows, and falsely accuse them of being in favor of allowing "idiots and pschopaths [sic] [to] purchase weopons [sic] at their local Wal-Mart".

I'll issue you the same challenge I issued to someone on another site (to which he didn't respond): I'll agree to give up the Second Amendment if you agree to give up the First. Deal?
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-28-2023, 12:51 PM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Thanks. Because, that is the true horror in their sick, twisted, evil eyes.

Perhaps the greatest horror of all is Joe Biden's joke about being Jill Biden's husband and he was "here because I heard there was chocolate chip ice cream" when he entered the room to address the shooting. Then he proceeded to politicize the whole thing.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

No horror there. The shooter was not able to tell them his gender identity, on account of being dead.
        So they are still calling her by her 'girl' name - talk about dead naming.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Thank you. I notice the Nashville police are using "her" and "she", so I guess that's where the outrage over the "misgendering" comes from.
          We are living in 1984, where language has been deliberately corrupted in order to create confusion.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

So they are still calling her by her 'girl' name - talk about dead naming.
            They all seem to want this crime to be committed by a woman and not a trans.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              For some reason you did one of your "snipped for relevance" things again.

You ignored my ETA immediately below that was added about 4 hours before you replied

ETA: Transgender teen sentenced to life in prison for deadly Colorado school shooting "A Colorado transgender teenager who admitted to taking part in a shooting at a Denver-area charter school last year that left one student dead and eight others wounded was sentenced on Friday to life in prison plus an additional 38 years."
              Gondwanaland mentioned that incident - well I assume it was the same incident.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Gee, It sure is easy to vilify tens of millions of honest, God fearing, law abiding gun owners who have never pointed a weapon at another human being in their life when you mock them with straw men about shooting Russian tanks from bedroom windows, and falsely accuse them of being in favor of allowing "idiots and pschopaths [sic] [to] purchase weopons [sic] at their local Wal-Mart".

I'll issue you the same challenge I issued to someone on another site (to which he didn't respond): I'll agree to give up the Second Amendment if you agree to give up the First. Deal?
                I don't have to villify anyone. All I have to do is note that the pro-gun groups in this county fight any and every proposal that has any chance of changing the status quo. The pro-gun group, lobbies, and individuals are not simply innocent - because they are willing to fight tooth and nail to maintain our status as a country where children and innocents are slaughtered weekly, and sometimes daily, on the alter of the golden firearm. When the gun lobbies, and the gun owners actually join the fight against gun violence and actually start working towards solutions, rather than just make excuses for why we have to leave things as they are, then maybe, maybe, they can join the ranks of the innocent.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

We are living in 1984, where language has been deliberately corrupted in order to create confusion.
                  And what's rich is it's coming from the political side that rails against others for being "anti-science."

Comment

They all seem to want this crime to be committed by a woman and not a trans.
                    Because otherwise they would need to walk back their narrative that trans should be allowed to have guns "in order to protect themselves".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Nearly every single healthy Swiss man of a certain age is in the military and is required to keep a fully automatic assault rifle at home.

If access were the issue, they should have a much worse problem with gun-related violence than they do -- and even we do.

They don't allow people convicted of certain crimes or who are drug addicts or alcoholics to own a gun.

That's pretty similar to here. We don't allow felons to own them and one of the many reasons Hunter Biden is under criminal investigation is his buying a gun and lying about his cocaine addiction -- which would have disqualified him from purchasing one.

Training is an excellent idea! I'm all for everyone who owns a firearm getting both some basic safety and shooting training.

In Switzerland the training begins early -- in childhood. This can be seen by the annual target shooting contests for teens held in such cities as Zurich, where older children get to show off their shooting skills in various competitions. At they aren't plinking with .22s. They fire the same weapons that the Army uses -- the SIG SG 550. FWIU, it's what the French and German military uses as well.

We used to have things like that as well. When I was in Junior High there was still a shooting club at High School and the members would take their rifles with them to school on the bus.

Read that last bit again if you don't mind

The point is, you could have much better access than that yet you didn't have an epidemic of school shootings.

Anyhow, we can't have that sort of training at a young age any more except in individual families where an older relative still teaches younger ones these things.

Um... Women are not drafted like men are yet FWICT they can still go out and buy a firearm without having served in the military (not one of the fully automatic[1] SIG SG 550s though)

Many of the laws seem very similar to some of those seen in the U.S., as for the other things like training and culture have nothing whatsoever to do with access.

Btw, the NRA has their Eddie Eagle program which has a record of success, but has received never ending criticism from the left. I think it was Samantha Bee or maybe Michelle Wolf who said the NRA were hypocrites for teaching gun safety.

1. I figure I should note that the SIG SG 550 has a selector switch meaning you can choose to either fire semi-automatically or on full automatic (like a machine gun). Some even have a third option, a short burst -- typically 3 rounds. But I don't know if that's an option on these.

Excuse making. Advocacy for the status quo where children die nearly every week because some loon, gang member, psychopath or other has nearly unlimited access to weapons designed to kill as many as as possible. Excuse, after excuse, after excuse.

IF you are a responsible gun owner, then start being responsible, and start pushing the NRA and other gun groups to take action restrict or otherwise limit access to guns by the sorts of people that would do this sort of thing. Or to make it HARDER to own assault weopons by requiring certain levels of licensure and permitting. We CAN identify at least some of the people, and we can make it harder to get the most powerful of these weapons. And we CAN make it harder for an angry person to get a gun in the peak of their anger. We can make it impossible for a felon or person mentally illness to LEGALLY purchase a gun. There are many things we can DO to actually push back against what is happening. And TRULY responsible gun owner will be behind those efforts - or even offering their own real solutions rather than just trying to make sure any real efforts to solve the problem don't make their own toys more expensive or more inconvenient to own.
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-28-2023, 01:35 PM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I don't have to villify anyone. All I have to do is note that the pro-gun groups in this county fight any and every proposal that has any chance of changing the status quo. The pro-gun group, lobbies, and individuals are not simply innocent - because they are willing to fight tooth and nail to maintain our status as a country where children and innocents are slaughtered weekly, and sometimes daily, on the alter of the golden firearm. When the gun lobbies, and the gun owners actually join the fight against gun violence and actually start working towards solutions, rather than just make excuses for why we have to leave things as they are, then maybe, maybe, they can join the ranks of the innocent.
                        How many have died in abortion clinics? How many have died after being left for dead because they survived abortion? How many die in car accidents or deliberately? How many died in Chicago yesterday? How many protect themselves with guns?

The actions of a minority does not mean rights should abolished. Until someone commits a crime, a right cannot be legitimately restricted. Most gun violence stats don't even filter out suicide by firearm.
                        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Excuse making. Advocacy for the status quo where children die nearly every week because some loon, gang member, psychopath or other has nearly unlimited access to weapons designed to kill as many as as possible. Excuse, after excuse, after excuse.

IF you are a responsible gun owner, then start being responsible, and start pushing the NRA and other gun groups to take action restrict or otherwise limit access to guns by the sorts of people that would do this sort of thing. We CAN identify at least some of them. we CAN make it harder for an angry person to get a gun. We can make it impossible for a felon or person mentally illness to LEGALLY purchase a gun. There are many things we can DO to actually push back against what is happening. And TRULY responsible gun owner will be behind those efforts - or even offering their own real solutions rather than just trying to make sure any real efforts to solve the problem don't make their own toys more expensive or more inconvenient to own.
                          How is gun control going to prevent people, particularly young people from wanting to mass murder people? How is that going to solve the root of the problem?

You'll probably ignore this and that's cool, it'll just show that you have no reasonable argument other than your irrelevant gun control spiel.

Comment

This country has a sort of mass delusion that has been long infused into a large part of it's population: That somehow having free access to guns and the violent crime that allows is worth the ability to some day, maybe, be able to shoot at an invaliding russian tank from your bedroom window. It's really pretty stupid, but just watch as hoards of gun lovers on this site alone take me to task on my 'ignorance' as to how important the 2nd amendment it so our 'safety'.

I am indeed utterly tired of watching people that otherwise are decent and compassionate people argue for the right to let idiots and pschopaths purchase weopons at their local Wal-Mart that can kill a dozen people in as many seconds, who then use them to mow down children in schools, shoppers in malls and so on.

It's a sort of mass insanity that has no known solution.
                            That's a nice load of insults.

But that appears to be all you have.

What proposal do you have that would have prevented this shooting? What proposal do you have that would prevent most (I won't even make you show us one that would prevent all of them) mass shootings? What is the law you would propose and how would that work and please explain how it would not violate the 2nd amendment rights of Americans.

Let's hear it.

Comment

Very little short of armed guards at each entrance will prevent a person with an AR15 or similar weapon from gaining access to a school and killing people. Locked glass doors certainly will be useless.
                              which is why you dhouldnt have doors like that. But since it was a church and school, its not surprising.

Chained and padlocked doors become death traps in case of fire.
                              Dont know anyone who has called for that.
                              The only people that need
                              Ah. I see your confusion, you silly boy. See, here in America we have a Bill of RIGHTS. Not a bill of NEEDS. You don't NEED to access the internet or a radio or a newspaper. But you have the right to thanks to the RIGHT explained in the First Amendment.

to own such weapons are those trained and licensed in their use
                              i heartily encourage anyone who ourchases or uses a gin should get themselves training. Ive trained my kids since around age 8 on safe and responsible us, handling and behavior around guns, and what to do if they see one at a friends house thay isnt being treated in that manner..

Around thay, and that have no contraindications for such ownership. That means they are not mentally unstable, they don't have criminal backgrounds, they have not shown themselves to be violent in domestic situations and so on.
                              thays already law, hun.

And as long as the attitudes towards gun ownership continue to be more driven by paranoia than focused on a rational assessment of how to implement the 2nd amendment safely in a modern era, those sorts of rational and necessary restraints on gun ownership will never come to pass.
                              I heartily agree. As long as Liberals keep their ignorant and paranoid attitude about guns, and think they can wave their magic "gun free zone wand", then nothing sensible will come to pass.

Comment

I'm so confused. Was this a man who claimed to be a woman or a woman who claimed to be a man? Regardless, the tragedy is not the "misgendering" by the media, it is the cold-blooded murder of 6 innocent people.
                                No. The tragedy is the toxic mixture of devoutly Christian parents and a transgender child that, chances are, became increasingly rejected by his own family. Note that the mother refers to her daughter - a very hurtful thing I suspect.

Last edited by firstfloor; 03-28-2023, 02:41 PM.
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment