Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Nashville School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    There are reports that Hale shot the door that he used to enter meaning he may have shot out the lock.

Moreover, this school is apparently attached to a church making security much more difficult.

I'll note that "[Chief Drake] said that the attack was targeted and that had been considering targeting another location – which was not identified – but apparently decided not to because of the level of security around it."
    I also suspect that it being a Christian school attached to a church, they probably felt a bit safer and that they didn't need strict security, given that the overwhelming amount of school shootings have been at public schools or colleges and not small Christian/religious schools.

Comment

There are reports that Hale shot the door that he used to enter meaning he may have shot out the lock.

Moreover, this school is apparently attached to a church making security much more difficult.

I'll note that "[Chief Drake] said that the attack was targeted and that had been considering targeting another location – which was not identified – but apparently decided not to because of the level of security around it."
      Police just released video of the locked glass door being shot by Hale.

I'd like to know if the "graffiti" on at least two of the firearms has any significant meaning.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Then, if you don't mind, please explain the reason that Switzerland, where virtually every home has a fully automatic assault rifle in a closet, doesn't have a high rate of shootings if access is the issue.

If that one is too tough, perhaps you would prefer to tackle why cities like Chicago, where the gun laws are strict, experience so many shootings if access is the issue.

POPCORN-best.gif
        It's not all that hard Rogue. Switzerland, despite having high gun ownership, does not have the sort of gun ownership free-for-all we have in the US. They must have a permit to own a gun. They do not allow anyone that has expressed openly a violent or abusive attitude to own guns. They do not allow any crimnal to own a gun and so on. They require training to own a gun. They require military service. The culture is different, the laws are different.

And nearly everything that allows the Swiss to peacefully bear arms not only doesn't exist in this country, it is vigorously opposed by gun lobbies and gun ownership advocates in this country. Has the NRA lobbied for mandatory gun trainiing and certification to own a gun? Have they advocated for permitting any and every gun owned? Who is advocating for mandatory military service and firearms training for all or even most citizens? Who is willing to advocate for the removal of all guns owned by people convicted of domestic violence? Who is advocating for strictly controlling the sale of firearms and demanding those that sell guns be strictly licensed and controlled by the state? And which gun advocacy group is out their advocating for the restoration of strong families, strong schools, the confiscation of illegally owned guns in crime ridden poor neighborhoods?

The free for all that drives what is happening here doesn't exist there Rogue. And the gun lobbies and groups here will not allow us to do what is necessary to change that.

https://www.businessinsider.com/swit...-deaths-2018-2
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-28-2023, 12:00 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The real horror of this story: USA Today....

Editor's note: For the latest news on the Nashville school shooting, follow our coverage from Tuesday, March 28 here.

Clarification: This article was updated. Police initially misgendered the shooter, who they later said identified as a transgender man.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...s/11549814002/
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I also suspect that it being a Christian school attached to a church, they probably felt a bit safer and that they didn't need strict security, given that the overwhelming amount of school shootings have been at public schools or colleges and not small Christian/religious schools.
            Very little short of armed guards at each entrance will prevent a person with an AR15 or similar weapon from gaining access to a school and killing people. Locked glass doors certainly will be useless. Chained and padlocked doors become death traps in case of fire. The only people that need to own such weapons are those trained and licensed in their use, and that have no contraindications for such ownership. That means they are not mentally unstable, they don't have criminal backgrounds, they have not shown themselves to be violent in domestic situations and so on. And as long as the attitudes towards gun ownership continue to be more driven by paranoia than focused on a rational assessment of how to implement the 2nd amendment safely in a modern era, those sorts of rational and necessary restraints on gun ownership will never come to pass.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Editor's note: For the latest news on the Nashville school shooting, follow our coverage from Tuesday, March 28 here.

Clarification: This article was updated. Police initially misgendered the shooter, who they later said identified as a transgender man.

I'm so confused. Was this a man who claimed to be a woman or a woman who claimed to be a man? Regardless, the tragedy is not the "misgendering" by the media, it is the cold-blooded murder of 6 innocent people.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I'm so confused. Was this a man who claimed to be a woman or a woman who claimed to be a man? Regardless, the tragedy is not the "misgendering" by the media, it is the cold-blooded murder of 6 innocent people.
                The shooter was a biological woman.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Again, it is hilarious how those on the left insist that we must, Must, MUST accept how someone self-identifies as. This even includes children. That is, right up until the instant when one commits a horrendous crime. Then all of a sudden it's merely what they claim and might not be true.
                  What relevance is that to what I have written on this thread?

Umm... Hard to say. It's not like this sort of thing was categorized until very recently. One of the early mass shooters transitioned while in prison but I can't remember who. What I do recall were videos of him in his cell, shirtless, sporting a pair of huge boobs.
                  So no one really knows? Thank you.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Had one at a STEM school here in Colorado in Highlands Ranch (suburb of Denver) a few years back.
                    Thank you.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

It was a women, my point is why the hell did the news media even bring up the misgendering thing?
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The shooter was a biological woman.
                        Thank you. I notice the Nashville police are using "her" and "she", so I guess that's where the outrage over the "misgendering" comes from.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

It's not all that hard Rogue. Switzerland, despite having high gun ownership, does not have the sort of gun ownership free-for-all we have in the US. They must have a permit to own a gun. They do not allow anyone that has expressed openly a violent or abusive attitude to own guns.
                          Nearly every single healthy Swiss man of a certain age is in the military and is required to keep a fully automatic assault rifle at home.

If access were the issue, they should have a much worse problem with gun-related violence than they do -- and even we do.
                          Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          They do not allow any crimnal to own a gun and so on.
                          They don't allow people convicted of certain crimes or who are drug addicts or alcoholics to own a gun.

That's pretty similar to here. We don't allow felons to own them and one of the many reasons Hunter Biden is under criminal investigation is his buying a gun and lying about his cocaine addiction -- which would have disqualified him from purchasing one.

They require training to own a gun.
                          Training is an excellent idea! I'm all for everyone who owns a firearm getting both some basic safety and shooting training.

In Switzerland the training begins early -- in childhood. This can be seen by the annual target shooting contests for teens held in such cities as Zurich, where older children get to show off their shooting skills in various competitions. At they aren't plinking with .22s. They fire the same weapons that the Army uses -- the SIG SG 550. FWIU, it's what the French and German military uses as well.

We used to have things like that as well. When I was in Junior High there was still a shooting club at High School and the members would take their rifles with them to school on the bus.

Read that last bit again if you don't mind

The point is, you could have much better access than that yet you didn't have an epidemic of school shootings.

Anyhow, we can't have that sort of training at a young age any more except in individual families where an older relative still teaches younger ones these things.

They require military service.
                          Um... Women are not drafted like men are yet FWICT they can still go out and buy a firearm without having served in the military (not one of the fully automatic[1] SIG SG 550s though)

The culture is different, the laws are different.
                          Many of the laws seem very similar to some of those seen in the U.S., as for the other things like training and culture have nothing whatsoever to do with access.

Btw, the NRA has their Eddie Eagle program which has a record of success, but has received never ending criticism from the left. I think it was Samantha Bee or maybe Michelle Wolf who said the NRA were hypocrites for teaching gun safety.

1. I figure I should note that the SIG SG 550 has a selector switch meaning you can choose to either fire semi-automatically or on full automatic (like a machine gun). Some even have a third option, a short burst -- typically 3 rounds. But I don't know if that's an option on these.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

No horror there. The shooter was not able to tell them his gender identity, on account of being dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

It was a women, my point is why the hell did the news media even bring up the misgendering thing?
                              Thanks. Because, that is the true horror in their sick, twisted, evil eyes.

Perhaps the greatest horror of all is Joe Biden's joke about being Jill Biden's husband and he was "here because I heard there was chocolate chip ice cream" when he entered the room to address the shooting. Then he proceeded to politicize the whole thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                                What relevance is that to what I have written on this thread?

So no one really knows? Thank you.

For some reason you did one of your "snipped for relevance" things again.

You ignored my ETA immediately below that was added about 4 hours before you replied

ETA: Transgender teen sentenced to life in prison for deadly Colorado school shooting "A Colorado transgender teenager who admitted to taking part in a shooting at a Denver-area charter school last year that left one student dead and eight others wounded was sentenced on Friday to life in prison plus an additional 38 years."

Comment