Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

DeSantis and Geopolitics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Being nice to Putin sure isn't working, is it?
    I don't understand. Who is being nice to him?

Do you think Trump will be buddy buddy to Putin if he gets elected? Or will he be hardline and give Putin an ultimatum? Knowing Trump, I am going with the second option.
    Neither. Trump has said that someone needs to try and put an end to this war, and no one is even trying. I think he would make an attempt. DeSantis has just poisoned his ability to fill that role.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Yeah, let's see how he has been reacting to his potential indictment.

The other day he released this message (in all caps) that looks like he's now pushing back against a call for a peaceful protest

EVERYBODY KNOWS I’M 100% INNOCENT, INCLUDING BRAGG, BUT HE DOESN’T CARE. HE IS JUST CARRYING OUT THE PLANS OF THE RADICAL LEFT LUNATICS. OUR COUNTRY IS BEING DESTROYED, AS THEY TELL US TO BE PEACEFUL!

Then he took things to the next level, warning of "potential death & destruction" if he were to be charged with a crime.

And now he posted the following picture

5ecfa68e-d94b-4b28-88f5-ed557822ae89.jpg

picardfacepalmthumb.jpg

It sure would be nice to see some of that knowing how to keep his trap shut right about now.
      This is all very concerning, if accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Yeah, let's see how he has been reacting to his potential indictment.

The other day he released this message (in all caps) that looks like he's now pushing back against a call for a peaceful protest

EVERYBODY KNOWS I’M 100% INNOCENT, INCLUDING BRAGG, BUT HE DOESN’T CARE. HE IS JUST CARRYING OUT THE PLANS OF THE RADICAL LEFT LUNATICS. OUR COUNTRY IS BEING DESTROYED, AS THEY TELL US TO BE PEACEFUL!

Then he took things to the next level, warning of "potential death & destruction" if he were to be charged with a crime.

And now he posted the following picture

5ecfa68e-d94b-4b28-88f5-ed557822ae89.jpg

picardfacepalmthumb.jpg

It sure would be nice to see some of that knowing how to keep his trap shut right about now.
        Well at least he didn't take a selfie with a noose

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I don't understand. Who is being nice to him?
          Nice is relative. See your second sentence below (my bolding)

Neither. Trump has said that someone needs to try and put an end to this war, and no one is even trying. I think he would make an attempt. DeSantis has just poisoned his ability to fill that role.
          Trump's trying would be to put US troops in Ukraine or start shooting down Russian planes. That's what I am afraid of. Him trying.

Comment

Nice is relative. See your second sentence below (my bolding)

Trump's trying would be to put US troops in Ukraine or start shooting down Russian planes. That's what I am afraid of. Him trying.
            No. What he said was finding an end through negotiations, that no one is really trying to find a solution. Currently, Trump does not have bad relations with either Putin or Zelensky, so they both respect him enough to play as intermediary. Biden couldn't do that (assuming he wanted to), and DeSantis is sabotaging his ability to fill that role.

I really don't see any way for this war to end without Crimea getting resolved. That's the key they need to work with. It either ends up going to Russia, or going independent, or having a split/mutual governance ... something. But Putin is not going to be satisfied with the Russian navy being docked in Ukraine. The war will go on forever otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

No. What he said was finding an end through negotiations, that no one is really trying to find a solution. Currently, Trump does not have bad relations with either Putin or Zelensky, so they both respect him enough to play as intermediary. Biden couldn't do that (assuming he wanted to), and DeSantis is sabotaging his ability to fill that role.

I really don't see any way for this war to end without Crimea getting resolved. That's the key they need to work with. It either ends up going to Russia, or going independent, or having a split/mutual governance ... something. But Putin is not going to be satisfied with the Russian navy being docked in Ukraine. The war will go on forever otherwise.
              Maybe a lease like Hong Kong.

Comment

Maybe a lease like Hong Kong.
                That's the arrangement that they had up to the 2014 referendum, Russia had a lease from Ukraine to house their navy there. But when Yanukovych was forced to flee Kyiv, Russia annexed Crimea the following month.

https://world.time.com/2014/02/22/uk...-capture-kiev/

Ukraine Protestors Seize Kiev As President Flees
                President Yanukovych escapes to eastern power base of Kharkiv and refuses to resign

Ukraine’s beleaguered President Viktor Yanukovych fled Kiev Saturday as protestors took full control of Ukraine’s capital, signaling a dramatic turn in the three-month crisis just hours after the signing of an European Union-sponsored peace deal.

As police abandoned their posts across the capital, the opposition established control over key intersections and captured the presidential palace, setting up a perimeter around Yanukovych’s former residence, reports the Associated Press. Ukraine’s parliament passed a resolution stating Yanukovych “is removing himself [from power] because he is not fulfilling his obligations,” and voted to hold early presidential elections on May 25.

Yanukovych fled to the eastern city of Kharkiv where he traditionally has a more solid base of support, and announced on television he would not resign.

“I am not leaving the country for anywhere. I do not intend to resign. I am the legitimately elected president,” Yanukovych said, in a televised speech. Thousands of anti-Yanukovych protestors took to streets in Kharkiv, chanting “Ukraine is not Russia!”

Putin got nervous by all of Obama's people in Kyiv and th way it was moving westward.

Comment