Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

DeSantis and Geopolitics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeSantis and Geopolitics

Absolutely not impressed.

Florida’s Gov. Ron DeSantis has branded Vladimir Putin a “war criminal” and demanded he be “held accountable” for his barbaric invasion of Ukraine.

Taking a tougher tone from his statement last week appearing to dismiss the year-long war as a "territorial dispute," DeSantis now says Russia was WRONG to invade Ukraine and was WRONG to invade and take over Crimea in 2014, and won’t win the war.

And he’s made his strongest attack yet on Russia’s dictator, calling him a loser who is “basically a gas station with a bunch of nuclear weapons.” (more)

Just ... wow. Is this guy channeling Lindsay Graham or what?

Oooops. Link: https://nypost.com/2023/03/22/desant...aine-invasion/

Comment

Eventually he has to appeal to the GOP base. It's unfortunate.
      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
        Eventually he has to appeal to the GOP base. It's unfortunate.
        He isn't in touch with the American public; where they will be by the time the election rolls around. He could take a lesson from Trump and mostly keep his mouth shut regarding geopolitics. This rhetoric absolutely does not appeal to me, and I can't see voting for him now. He's as bad the hawkish GOPs now.

https://rollcall.com/2023/02/24/at-u...turn-downward/

At Ukraine war’s one-year mark, some trend lines of U.S. public support turn downward
        ‘Americans appear to be more concerned about potential issues at home,’ analysts say

ANALYSIS — Wars typically don’t get more popular, and that’s the case with the Ukraine conflict on its one-year anniversary. Public support in the U.S. is slipping — especially on sending more weapons.

Some of the trend lines are heading in the wrong direction for Ukraine hawks like President Joe Biden and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, especially with any final decision on future Ukraine aid spending levels unlikely until the fall.

Polling data paints a mixed picture of U.S. public opinion of the conflict and the country’s comfort level with just how deeply involved, and how much more so, Washington should get.

A Fox News poll released Thursday suggests Americans are about split on whether U.S. economic and military aid should come with a time limit. It found exactly half want to keep assisting Kyiv “as long as it takes,” versus 46 percent who would support a “limited” time frame on their tax dollars going to Ukraine assistance. It also found 48 percent of those surveyed said they approve of Biden’s response to the February 2022 Russian invasion, with 49 percent disapproving.

But other polls conducted in recent weeks suggest support for sending even more American-made weapons to Ukraine is cooling... (more)

Comment

Are you saying that Putin isn't a war criminal for illegally invading Ukraine and murdering tens of thousands of people and destroying whole cities?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Are you saying that Putin isn't a war criminal for illegally invading Ukraine and murdering tens of thousands of people and destroying whole cities?
            Yeah. This announcement seems no different than announcing that water is wet. Hardly worthy of a news story.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm saying DeSantis should keep his mouth shut about such things, as a candidate or as POTUS. I fully agree with "Speak softly and carry a big stick". It is how Trump dealt with Putin, and Putin wasn't invading countries. It is the Hollywood theatrical Left that enjoys public condemnation that tends to get the opposite desired results.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I'm saying DeSantis should keep his mouth shut about such things, as a candidate or as POTUS. I fully agree with "Speak softly and carry a big stick". It is how Trump dealt with Putin, and Putin wasn't invading countries. It is the Hollywood theatrical Left that enjoys public condemnation that tends to get the opposite desired results.
                I don't think I ever saw Trump "keeping his mouth shut" about anything.

Comment

The worst I saw him say about a geopolitical adversary was calling Kim "Rocket Man." Apparently, Kim took that as a compliment. Calling Putin a "war criminal" and a "gas station attendant" - him being a person sitting on a nuclear arsenal that is primarily aimed at us - is just plain stupid. What does he hope to accomplish with that sort of rhetoric? All it does is play to the warmonger base.

If he gets elected and Putin is still in charge in Moscow, he won't get anywhere with him. Like Biden publicly calling Prince Salman a "pariah" and then thinking he can go over there and get favors from him. These stupid Leftists need to realize that public condemnation is positively anti productive. It is nothing more than virtue signaling to allies.

Comment

Just ... wow. Is this guy channeling Lindsay Graham or what?
                    Pretty much. DeSantis has been baptized into the GOP fold and is just saying whatever his handler's tell him to say at this point.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Pretty much. DeSantis has been baptized into the GOP fold and is just saying whatever his handler's tell him to say at this point.
                      I should have said "channeling John McCain" since Graham is still alive.

He has done well in the state of Florida, but this interview looks like he's either selling out or geopolitical naivety.

Comment

The worst I saw him say about a geopolitical adversary was calling Kim "Rocket Man." Apparently, Kim took that as a compliment. Calling Putin a "war criminal" and a "gas station attendant" - him being a person sitting on a nuclear arsenal that is primarily aimed at us - is just plain stupid. What does he hope to accomplish with that sort of rhetoric? All it does is play to the warmonger base.

If he gets elected and Putin is still in charge in Moscow, he won't get anywhere with him. Like Biden publicly calling Prince Salman a "pariah" and then thinking he can go over there and get favors from him. These stupid Leftists need to realize that public condemnation is positively anti productive. It is nothing more than virtue signaling to allies.
                        Being nice to Putin sure isn't working, is it? Do you think Trump will be buddy buddy to Putin if he gets elected? Or will he be hardline and give Putin an ultimatum? Knowing Trump, I am going with the second option.

Comment

I should have said "channeling John McCain" since Graham is still alive.

He has done well in the state of Florida, but this interview looks like he's either selling out or geopolitical naivety.
                          Those are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Yeah, let's see how he has been reacting to his potential indictment.

The other day he released this message (in all caps) that looks like he's now pushing back against a call for a peaceful protest

EVERYBODY KNOWS I’M 100% INNOCENT, INCLUDING BRAGG, BUT HE DOESN’T CARE. HE IS JUST CARRYING OUT THE PLANS OF THE RADICAL LEFT LUNATICS. OUR COUNTRY IS BEING DESTROYED, AS THEY TELL US TO BE PEACEFUL!

Then he took things to the next level, warning of "potential death & destruction" if he were to be charged with a crime.

And now he posted the following picture

5ecfa68e-d94b-4b28-88f5-ed557822ae89.jpg

picardfacepalmthumb.jpg

It sure would be nice to see some of that knowing how to keep his trap shut right about now.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Bragg cancelled two of the three grand jury hearings this week and says they will reconvene next week. He seems pretty rattled at this point.

Comment