Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden claims 2021/2022 deficit reduced by taxes that didn't take effect until 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

What I've found, more often is the two parties deal with blatant lies differently.

Democrats pretty much ignore their own lies. Their candidate will lie 10 ways from Sunday, and they'll simply not acknowledge it, change the subject, or laugh it off as inconsequential (see @starlight's defense of the Inflation Reduction Act).

Republicans, on the other hand, seem to lean in, as if a lie isn't a lie if they can repeat it enough, or if they can find a conspiracy. It doesn't even matter if the lie is actually all that important. One example is the numbers at Trump's inauguration. The weather wasn't great, trump was polarizing, and more people supported "republican" more than the supported "Donald Trump". It's not surprising that all of that together put out a less than stellar crowd size. However, Trump's ego wouldn't let that happen, so he declared the numbers were bigger, and that lead to many debates to this day, including conspiracy theories, and wild theories all about how trump was right, and the official counts were just wrong.
    The inauguration numbers are a bad example. The most common pictures making the round compared a photo of the Mall an hour or more before Trump's inaugural ceremony with a picture of Obama's inauguration when it was in full swing and tried to use the deceptively framed contrast to humiliate Trump, so naturally he fought back. Pictures taken during Trump's actual inauguration showed a much more sizeable crowd. While not as big as Obama's, it was still far larger than the media gleefully reported it.

Here's an ancient thread I started about it:

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...size#post13810
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I have seen a concerning number of liberals uncritically regurgitate the latest Democrat talking point even when it flatly contradicts the previous talking point. They are either unaware of or entirely untroubled by the cognitive dissonance required to behave in this manner.
      Sitting behind the side lines, it is apparent that neither team has a comfortable lead in that game.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Had a boss like that. He literally spent the morning during a meeting playing cheerleader for a new policy that the company was implementing, trying to convince us that it was the best thing since sliced bread. Ten minutes later he returned to inform us the policy was scrapped and we were to continue with the old one -- which he now told us was much better than the one they were wanting to implement.
        Did your boss have pointy hair and is your name Wally?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Did your boss have pointy hair and is your name Wally?
          No, he was a crazy old company man who truly believed that the company could do no wrong.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

What I've found, more often is the two parties deal with blatant lies differently.

Democrats pretty much ignore their own lies. Their candidate will lie 10 ways from Sunday, and they'll simply not acknowledge it, change the subject, or laugh it off as inconsequential (see @starlight's defense of the Inflation Reduction Act).

Republicans, on the other hand, seem to lean in, as if a lie isn't a lie if they can repeat it enough, or if they can find a conspiracy. It doesn't even matter if the lie is actually all that important. One example is the numbers at Trump's inauguration. The weather wasn't great, trump was polarizing, and more people supported "republican" more than the supported "Donald Trump". It's not surprising that all of that together put out a less than stellar crowd size. However, Trump's ego wouldn't let that happen, so he declared the numbers were bigger, and that lead to many debates to this day, including conspiracy theories, and wild theories all about how trump was right, and the official counts were just wrong.
            Like rogue said, when the MSM has such a track record of flat out lying about almost everything concerning Trump, even negative reports about him that might be true they're going to question. It's like a man married to woman with a history of being unfaithful and lying about it, naturally the man is going to become paranoid and suspicious whenever it looks like the woman might be cheating.

As far as assuming everything is a conspiracy, with everything we witnessed while Trump was in office, why wouldn't they assume that? Take the laptop cover-up as just one example where you had clear collusion of multiple parties and institutions (both government and private) engaged in suppressing the story just for partisan reasons.

Comment

No, he was a crazy old company man who truly believed that the company could do no wrong.

That's what I said, Wally.

Comment

That's what I said, Wally.
                Wally is a wannabe rogue

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Wally is a wannabe rogue
                  He knows how to take credit for other people's work while not actually doing anything himself. Just like you Wally

Comment

He knows how to take credit for other people's work while not actually doing anything himself. Just like you Wally
                    As I said... a wannabe rogue.

He now needs to learn how to straight out steal appropriate things -- for the common good naturally.

Comment

As I said... a wannabe rogue.

He now needs to learn how to straight out steal appropriate things -- for the common good naturally.
                      You are just upset I figured out your true identity, Wally.

Comment

You are just upset I figured out your true identity, Wally.
                        Yup. You got me.

I'm a fictitious character in a comic strip.

Comment

Yup. You got me.

I'm a fictitious character in a comic strip.
                          I knew it!

Comment