Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another sign of the times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    After President Macron pushed through retirement reform without a vote by the National Assembly, I'll stick by my comment that democracies are becoming less democratic.

Generally speaking, I think the more a president rules by executive order (even those I might agree with), the less democratic the government.
    You have to remember, legislation by dictatorial fiat by a president in a democracy is less democratic only if the wrong legislation is implemented by executive order. If the Left agrees with the order, it's saving democracy from those who shouldn't have political power and hinder the democratic will of the people.
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

You have to remember, legislation by dictatorial fiat by a president in a democracy is less democratic only if the wrong legislation is implemented by executive order. If the Left agrees with the order, it's saving democracy from those who shouldn't have political power and hinder the democratic will of the people.
      The left. Busy saving America for one party rule um, I mean "democracy."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-734752

Judicial reform protests will end with blood on the street, organizer warns

Protest organizer Eran Schwartz spoke about the concern of deliberate, organized attacks being carried out against judicial reform protesters.

Israel's judicial reform protests will end with the deliberate spilling of blood of protesters on the streets, protest organizer Eran Schwartz warned in a Sunday morning interview with 103FM.

Speaking with radio hosts Nissim Mashal and Gideon Oko about the increasing cases of violence against protesters throughout the country, Schwartz warned that "these events will end with blood on the streets. Nothing is spontaneous, there is a deliberate hand here that is trying to kill this demonstration."

"We see the level of violence going up," he continued. "We see that it's not by chance. If at first we were compared to pus and called anarchists and terrorists, which is the beginning of marking a certain milestone, we got a great upgrade from the prime minister's son, who called us 'Nazi stormtroopers.'

"This is no accident. The [government] ministers don't condemn it, the prime minister doesn't condemn it. There are vague statements at best," Schwartz continued to elaborate.

"This thing will end with blood in the streets, our protesters will be hurt. People who raise the Israeli flag, who wave it with the intention of taking care of everyone and taking care of Israeli democracy, they may end up in the hospital, or somewhere further, heaven forbid."

"We are warning you, there have been political attacks in the past, and from a very specific side, and they are going to increase now as well. This is very, very troubling to us."

Asked to elaborate on the indications of violence that he was referring to, Schwartz said that "there are already calls in advance for activists from Lehava, from Likud, from other places, to come and deliberately create provocations at our sites.

"I saw a lot of blood in the eyes of a lot of people."

In response to the question of whether or not he believes the threats against protesters to be deliberately organized, he replied: "There is a prime minister and there are ministers who say terrible and violent things.

"There is verbal violence that is translated in the field into physical violence. Does anyone pick up the phone and activate them? You should ask them and not me, but this incident is not accidental."

Concluding the interview, Schwartz stressed his belief in the need for the judicial reform protests which have taken place across Israel for 11 consecutive weeks, with no signs of slowing down.

"We are at a defining event in the history of the State of Israel," he explained. "If in 1944, Begin tried to prevent a rift in the nation, and then a state was created in some sense, today the head of Likud stands and does exactly the opposite. There is a state and he is causing a rift in the nation.

"We will find ourselves in the midst of a dictatorship, and we will not allow that, and so [the protests] will only get stronger and stronger, and they will be on Thursday and Saturday, and Monday, and Tuesday and Wednesday.

"People are not giving up, they are fighting for their home, for the image of the State of Israel, for the democracy of the State of Israel, that is why we are here, and that is why it will not end."

How this will play out is anyone's guess. From the above it suggests there may be a form civil war about to be unleashed in Israel. It does not bode well for the only [at least for the present] liberal and democratic nation in the region.

"It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment