Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Desantis sets up test case for drag shows and free speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desantis sets up test case for drag shows and free speech

I'm not saying that there IS a free speech issue, but I expect that would be the avenue of attack of the lawsuit. (I expect there will be a lawsuit, as losing a liquor license is a big deal for such a business, and Hyatt isn't exactly a small company).

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/us/desantis-strips-luxurious-florida-hotels-liquor-license-hosting-lewd-drag-show-children-present

DeSantis strips luxurious Florida hotel's liquor license after hosting 'lewd' drag show with children present

The DeSantis administration stripped a major Miami hotel of its liquor license after hosting a Christmas-themed drag queen show in December with children present despite warnings.

The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation warned the Hyatt Regency Miami against hosting a "sexually explicit show with children present," but the hotel did anyway, according to a statement from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis's office.

"Therefore, the Department is revoking the venue’s license for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages," the statement adds. "Sexually explicit content is not appropriate to display to children and doing so violates Florida law. Governor DeSantis stands up for the innocence of children in the classroom and throughout Florida."

During the event, performers showed their prosthetic breasts and genitals, rubbed their prosthetic female breasts on the faces and mouths of audience members, intentionally exposed their rears, were "simulating masturbation," and had "graphic depictions of childbirth and/or abortion," according to a complaint the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation filed.

"A Drag Queen Christmas," took place in late December and was initially promoted by the hotel with Christmas-themed materials that did not warn of sexually explicit content and included the words "all ages welcome," according the complaint.

After the venue was warned against having children at the event, promotional materials were updated to include a disclaimer that the show was "recommended for audiences 18+," but the admission policies still allowed for children to attend if accompanied by an adult, the complaint states.

"As a result, minors attended and were knowingly admitted," the complaint states. "During the Show and in the presence of persons less than 16 years of age, performers appeared on stage wearing sexually suggestive clothing and prosthetic female genitalia."

The department added that on the screens behind the performers, videos were displayed of "exposed female breasts with less than a fully opaque covering, portrayals of simulated masturbation, and other sexually explicit content."

"[P]erverted versions of popular children’s Christmas songs" were also played at the event including an adaption of "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth," the complaint states. The song contained a "portrayal of oral fellatio" and the lyric "I’ll sit on his lap, he can put his milk and cookies all between my gap."

During the remixed song "Screwdolph the Red-Nippled Reindeer," attendees heard the lyrics "You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen Vomit and Stupid and Dildo and D***s-in…" and "Then one soggy Christmas Eve Santa came to say ‘Screwdolph with your nipples so bright won’t you guide my sleigh tonight," according to the Florida department.

The complaint accused the hotel of violating Florida statute.

"Exposing genitals in a lewd or lascivious manner and simulated sexual activity are inconsistent with the prevailing standards in the adult community as a whole with respect to what is suitable material for children under the age of 16," the complaint states, adding that the hotel violated the statue by allowing the performance.

During the remixed song "Screwdolph the Red-Nippled Reindeer," attendees heard the lyrics "You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen Vomit and Stupid and Dildo and D***s-in…" and "Then one soggy Christmas Eve Santa came to say ‘Screwdolph with your nipples so bright won’t you guide my sleigh tonight," according to the Florida department.

The complaint accused the hotel of violating Florida statute.

"Exposing genitals in a lewd or lascivious manner and simulated sexual activity are inconsistent with the prevailing standards in the adult community as a whole with respect to what is suitable material for children under the age of 16," the complaint states, adding that the hotel violated the statue by allowing the performance.

The show, which went on a national tour, also came to an Orlando venue on Dec. 28, where protesters both in support and against gathered outside.

The Hyatt Regency Miami did not respond to Fox News’ request for comment.

Click here to watch more Fox News Digital Originals headlines.

© Copyright Original Source

Based on the article, I'd say this was an X-rated show, and X-rated shows traditionally forbid children to be in attendance. Plus the venue was warned.

This is not a "free speech" issue as Florida (I imagine) is allowed to set its own decency standards. And obscenity is not protected under "free speech."

https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/obscenity

Comment

In principle, how is this all that different from your average R-rated sex comedy where a 17 year old can attend (and younger with their parents)?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        Based on the article, I'd say this was an X-rated show, and X-rated shows traditionally forbid children to be in attendance. Plus the venue was warned.

This is not a "free speech" issue as Florida (I imagine) is allowed to set its own decency standards. And obscenity is not protected under "free speech."

https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/obscenity
        As I said, I expect "free speech" to be the rationale set up in the expected lawsuit. I'm not saying such a law suit is going to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          In principle, how is this all that different from your average R-rated sex comedy where a 17 year old can attend (and younger with their parents)?
          1. It's live in your face (literally)
          2. It sounds more X-rated than R-rated.

Comment

The point of confusion for me is that the Florida government repeatedly says that this show violated Florida statute, but they chose to revoke the hotel's liquor license as punishment? Seems like people should be arrested for violating decency laws and the corruption of minors.

And for that matter, what parent would ever take their child to something like this? Talk about screwing up your kid for life! Are the parents going to face any consequences?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              The point of confusion for me is that the Florida government repeatedly says that this show violated Florida statute, but they chose to revoke the hotel's liquor license as punishment? Seems like people should be arrested for violating decency laws and the corruption of minors.

And for that matter, what parent would ever take their child to something like this? Talk about screwing up your kid for life! Are the parents going to face any consequences?
              It shows you how relentless this evil is if they're continuing to try this in a state run by a governor who has openly expressed the most opposition against it.

Comment

This debauchery is nothing new, as Paul shows in Roman 1:18-28.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

It shows you how relentless this evil is if they're continuing to try this in a state run by a governor who has openly expressed the most opposition against it.
                  I'm most curious about why it's just the revoking of a liquor license (which I understand could be a significant loss of revenue for a business like a hotel) and why this isn't resulting in fines and jail time for the perpetrators.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    This debauchery is nothing new, as Paul shows in Roman 1:18-28.
                    The fact children are involved is taking it to another level. I saw a video showing a literal BDSM show with parents and toddlers. I remember this all started with a bunch transvestites reading books to children. Now look how far it's gone from just a few years.

Comment

The fact children are involved is taking it to another level. I saw a video showing a literal BDSM show with parents and toddlers. I remember this all started with a bunch transvestites reading books to children. Now look how far it's gone from just a few years.
                      Has everyone forgot the ad campaign released about a month before last Christmas by the fashion house Balenciaga, which featured BDSM teddy bears modeled by young children?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, what has happened for thousands of years in other cultures is now infecting our culture. For a short while our society was fairly conservative and in line with Christian ethics, but I think that bubble has burst and our society is in decline and sinful human nature is asserting itself once again and the sinners are doing as in Romans 1, not only doing evil themselves but teaching others to do evil too. Once a society removes God, God gives them over to their depraved minds

Romans 1:28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Comment