Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is It Okay To Be White?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MC_dilbert_web-800x0.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

The problem is they are distinctly racist.
      Except they're not.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Why? Why is staying away from black people who say that it is not OK to be white racist? I'm mean those blacks who believe that are themselves racist. Why would one want to be around hateful racists?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

To flip Adams' comments around, would it be racist for black people to not associate with white people who believe it's not okay to be black?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            To flip Adams' comments around, would it be racist for black people to not associate with white people who believe it's not okay to be black?
            You know that's different! Because... well, just because.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Exactly! Shuny, Shuny?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                You know that's different! Because... well, just because.
                Well because - double standards...

Comment

If taken out of context, sure a case could be made. But in context, no, they aren't

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

That is one of the more stupid things you have said. Given the racial climate where whites are increasingly blamed for the ills of the world, it was appropriate. And the fact that in your twisted mind you linked the question to white supremacy only proves my point.
                    That is one of the more stupid things you have said.

Here is an article from May of last year:

​​​​​​The phrase “It’s Okay To Be White” is a slogan popularized in late 2017 as a trolling campaign by members of the controversial discussion forum 4chan. The original idea behind the campaign was to choose an ostensibly innocuous and inoffensive slogan, put that slogan on fliers bereft of any other words or imagery, then place the fliers in public locations. Originators assumed that “liberals” would react negatively to such fliers and condemn them or take them down, thus “proving” that liberals did not even think it was “okay" to be white.

Whether the original trollers were white supremacist or not, actual white supremacists quickly began to promote the campaign—often adding Internet links to white supremacist websites to the fliers or combining the phrase with white supremacist language or imagery. This was not a surprise, as white supremacists had themselves used the phrase in the past—including on fliers—long before the 4chan campaign originated.

The original flier campaign occurred in late October 2017 and a similar campaign took place at the same time in 2018, but use of the phrase has extended far beyond the flier campaigns.

source

I'm confident that Rasmussen knew about the history of that phrase before they ran the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

That is one of the more stupid things you have said.

Here is an article from May of last year:

​​​​​​The phrase “It’s Okay To Be White” is a slogan popularized in late 2017 as a trolling campaign by members of the controversial discussion forum 4chan. The original idea behind the campaign was to choose an ostensibly innocuous and inoffensive slogan, put that slogan on fliers bereft of any other words or imagery, then place the fliers in public locations. Originators assumed that “liberals” would react negatively to such fliers and condemn them or take them down, thus “proving” that liberals did not even think it was “okay" to be white.

Whether the original trollers were white supremacist or not, actual white supremacists quickly began to promote the campaign—often adding Internet links to white supremacist websites to the fliers or combining the phrase with white supremacist language or imagery. This was not a surprise, as white supremacists had themselves used the phrase in the past—including on fliers—long before the 4chan campaign originated.

The original flier campaign occurred in late October 2017 and a similar campaign took place at the same time in 2018, but use of the phrase has extended far beyond the flier campaigns.

source

I'm confident that Rasmussen knew about the history of that phrase before they ran the poll.
                      The 'history' of that phrase being some trolls trolling rejects like you into policing language and showing how dumb you are. Just like the 'OK symbol'

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

That is one of the more stupid things you have said. Given the racial climate where whites are increasingly blamed for the ills of the world, it was appropriate. And the fact that in your twisted mind you linked the question to white supremacy only proves my point.
                        So which are you, ignorant or disingenuous? Did you really not know the history of the phrase before getting all worked up over it? This is not up for debate, the phrase was, definitively, created by trolls to cause division on a website with a substantial and explicit white supremacist user-base. I was able to see the exact archived posts where they came up with it when the phrase had its initial popularity and they're likely available for anyone dedicated enough to look up now. That phrase was adopted by white supremacist groups as a dog whistle.

Your strong desire to consume information to feed your own confirmation bias regardless of its validity makes you a prime propaganda target.
                        Last edited by Psychic Missile; 02-28-2023, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

So which are you, ignorant or disingenuous? Did you really not know the history of the phrase before getting all worked up over it? This is not up for debate, the phrase was, definitively, created by trolls to cause division on a website with a substantial and explicit white supremacist user-base. I was able to see the exact archived posts where they came up with it when the phrase had its initial popularity and they're likely available for anyone dedicated enough to look up now. That phrase was adopted by white supremacist groups as a dog whistle.

Your strong desire to consume information to feed your own confirmation bias regardless of its validity makes you a prime propaganda target.
                          THe point of a dog whistle is to only be heard by dogs. I wonder why it is that liberals are the only ones that can hear these dog whistles they claim are being used by racists, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

THe point of a dog whistle is to only be heard by dogs. I wonder why it is that liberals are the only ones that can hear these dog whistles they claim are being used by racists, etc.?
                            Progressives (which I hold as distinct from liberals) generally care about truth veracity so if something doesn't make sense at face value (why are people saying it's okay to be white? who is opposing that?) they critically examine the point of origin. This is in contrast to regressives/narcissists who generally care more about the utility of a claim to their own belief system than they do about whether or not it's true, like your recent post about Matt Gaetz citing Chinese propaganda. This is why Russian troll campaigns were primarily reinforced by, and therefore disproportionately targeted towards, conservatives. In this way, even if a regressive doesn't know "it's okay to be white" is white supremacist in origin, and the context in which it was manufactured, that is "hear the whistle", they will still buy into the propaganda. To further the analogy, progressives will not hear the whistle but see dogs (white supremacists) reacting and look for the one blowing the whistle, while regressives who don't hear the whistle will copy the actions of the dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

Progressives (which I hold as distinct from liberals) generally care about truth veracity
                              I'm sorry, I couldn't make it past this part without being blinded by laughter tears.

Comment

Taking Adams' remarks in context, he's clearly saying that black people who think it's not okay to be white are members of a hate group, and that white people should not associate with them. That sounds more like common sense than racism.
                                My main problem with what he said is that the "not ok" group is the minority, albeit barely.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment