Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Honolulu police officers fight for exemption to let them sleep with prostitutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu police officers fight for exemption to let them sleep with prostitutes

You know, for "investigation purposes".

Given that the average age for a female to enter prostitution is about 13... I find this unconscionable.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...?csp=fbfanpage
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Let's try to criticize things for what they are, not by adding something else then criticizing what's been added.

Comment

I find it difficult to see why this particular exemption would be needed given that law enforcement departments successfully conduct prostitution stings all the time without actually going past agreeing to sexual activity.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Honey, it meant nothing to me when I slept with that woman from my sex ed class. I swear, it was for research purposes only. lol

Comment

Boom chicka bow-wow

Comment

Wasn't that a premise of the Eastern Promises movie, that if you refused to sleep with underage prostitutes, they'd know you were an agent? Nevertheless, if you have to do a line of coke, sleep with a prostitute, kill a captured rival gang member, or sign a false document to get in good with the gang, then you're probably operating under the wrong rules of engagement with regard to evil in your society.

In related news under what happens when you let that get-along-to-go-along attitude become commonplace, it is unjust not to allow people to cheat:

As soon as the exams finished, a mob swarmed into the school in protest.

"I picked up my son at midday [from his exam]. He started crying. I asked him what was up and he said a teacher had frisked his body and taken his mobile phone from his underwear. I was furious and I asked him if he could identify the teacher. I said we should go back and find him," one of the protesting fathers, named as Mr Yin, said to the police later.

By late afternoon, the invigilators were trapped in a set of school offices, as groups of students pelted the windows with rocks. Outside, an angry mob of more than 2,000 people had gathered to vent its rage, smashing cars and chanting: "We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat."

According to the protesters, cheating is endemic in China, so being forced to sit the exams without help put their children at a disadvantage.
            At this point, nuclear war might not be that bad an idea.

Comment

I can't see any justification for such an exemption. To be honest, I'm pretty floored that they had the gall to ask lawmakers to keep it. And the fact that lawmakers did...I don't even have words for that.
              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

This thread wouldn't be the same without Manwë.

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                  I can't see any justification for such an exemption. To be honest, I'm pretty floored that they had the gall to ask lawmakers to keep it. And the fact that lawmakers did...I don't even have words for that.
                  I can, I'm not surprised at all, and I do. If a police department has a policy of infiltrating underground prostitution rings, and the criminal gangs know that the informants are people who won't sleep with prostitutes, then part of their criminal leadership meetings are going to involve passing prostitutes around. It's either let the police informers sleep with them or have them depend on bribing their own contacts within the organization, which is the sort of arrangement that can get strung along for a whole lot of time and money, especially if the criminal organization gets wind of it and decides to play along, and even longer if the police in the department find it a good source of hazard pay.

Not that this means I actually advocate the infiltration method. Actually fighting prostitution properly has to be done via the old, boring method of socially isolating and shaming sluts, while at the same time arresting, executing, and deporting those population groups most likely to provide the enterprising pimp class. If you don't have the basic moral resolve necessary to do that, then letting policemen sleep with prostitutes is as natural and necessary as, say...letting kids cheat on placement tests, or letting athletes take steroids, or electing manifestly incompetent black people to office because Diversity.

Without the whole of society enforcing the shared standards and common values, the only way to survive socially is to compromise. This utter lack of imagination on the actual jobs the enforcers have to do, and the actual people they have to deal with, is not advisable.

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                    The word is 'Hawaii'...
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment