Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The "most trusted" news network circling the drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don Lemon getting a taste of his own medicine and needs to be reprogrammed...

Don Lemon to return to CNN, will undergo formal training following sexist comments, network boss says

CNN anchor Don Lemon will return to the network’s air on Wednesday and will participate in formal training following sexist comments he made last week, the network’s chief executive, Chris Licht, said in an email to employees Monday night.

“I sat down with Don and had a frank and meaningful conversation,” Licht wrote in a memo. “He has agreed to participate in formal training, as well as continuing to listen and learn. We take this situation very seriously.”

“It is important to me that CNN balances accountability with … fostering a culture in which people can own, learn and grow from their mistakes,” Licht added. “To that end, Don will return to CNN This Morning on Wednesday.”

Lemon previously apologized to employees for his comments, which prompted internal and external backlash, during Friday’s daily editorial meeting.

“When I make a mistake, I own it,” Lemon said. “And I own this one as well.”

Lemon made the sexist comments during a Thursday discussion on “CNN This Morning” over former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley’s presidential candidacy.

When declaring her run for the presidency, Haley called for mental competency tests for politicians over the age of 75. Lemon argued that Haley, 51, “isn’t in her prime.”

Lemon attempted to support his argument by saying that a woman is only “considered to be in their prime in 20s and 30s and maybe 40s.”

The comments were met with pushback from co-anchors Poppy Harlow and Kaitlan Collins, but Lemon kept advancing his argument, even doubling down on it in a segment in the following hour.

"Formal training?"

Apparently Lemon's woke programming short circuited and needs rewiring.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      CNN’s primetime ratings sink as network mulls adding comedian to lineup

First their CNN+ online service embarrassingly bombed, which you'd think would have given them the clue of what their future holds. Now the ratings of their entire network is in the gutter. It couldn't have happened to a more abysmal "news" network. Glenn Greenwald said it best...

And of course the satisfaction wouldn't be complete without Ted Koppel's predictive analysis. This aged so well. Watch Brian -- zero self-awareness -- Stelter make a fool of himself as he usually does...

The sarcasm of your remark overstating your bias against CNN. CNN is an OK network, but by far NOT the 'most trusted network' and never was.

ABC, NBC and CBS and the Wall Street journal top the list:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ons-in-the-us/
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

The sarcasm of your remark overstating your bias against CNN. CNN is an OK network, but by far NOT the 'most trusted network' and never was.

Apparently you're unfamiliar with CNN's old slogan.

CNN+-+The+Most+Trusted+Name+in+News+2.jpg
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

There was nothing sarcastic in either the title or the OP. I was serious about every word.

Comment

Somewhat ironically, there was a time when you really could trust CNN to simply report the straight facts without bias. Back in my college days, I used to consider CNN Headline News to be required viewing for staying informed about world events. These days, I wouldn't trust them even if they reported that the sky was blue.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Somewhat ironically, there was a time when you really could trust CNN to simply report the straight facts without bias. Back in my college days, I used to consider CNN Headline News to be required viewing for staying informed about world events. These days, I wouldn't trust them even if they reported that the sky was blue.
              HLN was good back in the day even if it pretty much cycled every hour.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

There was nothing sarcastic in either the title or the OP. I was serious about every word.
                Just not true. The CNN is not and never was the 'most respected network.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Just not true. The CNN is not and never was the 'most respected network.
                  Their catchphrase has been "the most trusted name in news" for as long as I can remember, and not "respected" so you are technically correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Their catchphrase has been "the most trusted name in news" for as long as I can remember, and not "respected" so you are technically correct.
                    The problem is you cannot parrot exaggerated advertising claims of any one network as fact.

Frank

Comment

The problem is you cannot parrot exaggerated advertising claims of any one network as fact.
                      It wasn't parroted as fact in this thread. The title has the word trusted in quotes for that reason.

Comment

It wasn't parroted as fact in this thread. The title has the word trusted in quotes for that reason.
                        I think shuny either doesn't understand what sarcasm means, or he didn't know the catchphrase before and is digging his hole deeper trying to play it off like he didn't make an error.

Comment

I consider the use of quotes as an emphasis on the strength of the statemen. The words put in quotes did not have a reference as a source to consider it any other way.

Frank

Comment

I consider the use of quotes as an emphasis on the strength of the statemen. The words put in quotes did not have a reference as a source to consider it any other way.
                            So for all these years you've been doing it wrong (note the last example):

Source: Quotation Marks for Sarcasm

Using Quotation Marks for Sarcasm

Quotation marks can be used to show sarcasm. More specifically, they can be used to convey the idea of "so-called," "alleged," or "supposed." When used for this purpose, quotation marks are sometimes referred to as scare quotation marks. For example:

• Mark's "beautiful" riverside manor is a dump.
                            • (Here, the quotation marks mean "so-called.")
                            Scare quotation marks are also used to show that a word in not being used in its literal sense.
                            • The wind "knows" when you've unhitched the safety harness.
                            • (The wind doesn't literally know.)

37e9a9fd-0a75-4e36-a81a-8ccbabbf8793.jpg
                            This young man's tattoo says jenius

Examples of Quotation Marks for Sarcasm
                            • Peter's "mates" left him on the path to die.
                            • (This is an example of quotation marks used for sarcasm. It means so-called mates.)
                            • Using his father's equipment, Alexander found over 50,000 bacteria on a "clean" chopping
                              board.
                            • (This means so-called clean.)
                            • The sheep were noticeably stressed. It must've been a very big "cat."
                            • (In this example, the quotation marks play two roles. They show someone's words and they portray sarcasm.)
                            76f1ece6-3e84-4f1f-9289-8f833b6f9374.jpg
                            The word "rescue" is in quotation marks to show it's not a genuine rescue.

Examples of Quotation Marks Meaning "Not Literally"

Quotation marks can also be used to recognize when a word is not being used in its literal sense. This happens quite often with metaphors, particularly personification (i.e., giving something a human trait). For example:
                            • The waves "know" when you're about to stand up on the board.
                            • (Clearly, waves cannot know things. The quotes are used to convey the idea of "not literally.")

[...]

Don't Use Quotation Marks for Emphasis

If you use quotation marks for emphasis, they might be read as meaning "alleged" or "so-called." For example:
                            • We sell "fresh" fish.

clean (1).jpg
                            "clean"

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              So for all these years you've been doing it wrong (note the last example):

Source: Quotation Marks for Sarcasm

Using Quotation Marks for Sarcasm

Quotation marks can be used to show sarcasm. More specifically, they can be used to convey the idea of "so-called," "alleged," or "supposed." When used for this purpose, quotation marks are sometimes referred to as scare quotation marks. For example:

• Mark's "beautiful" riverside manor is a dump.
                              • (Here, the quotation marks mean "so-called.")
                              Scare quotation marks are also used to show that a word in not being used in its literal sense.
                              • The wind "knows" when you've unhitched the safety harness.
                              • (The wind doesn't literally know.)

37e9a9fd-0a75-4e36-a81a-8ccbabbf8793.jpg
                              This young man's tattoo says jenius

Examples of Quotation Marks for Sarcasm
                              • Peter's "mates" left him on the path to die.
                              • (This is an example of quotation marks used for sarcasm. It means so-called mates.)
                              • Using his father's equipment, Alexander found over 50,000 bacteria on a "clean" chopping
                                board.
                              • (This means so-called clean.)
                              • The sheep were noticeably stressed. It must've been a very big "cat."
                              • (In this example, the quotation marks play two roles. They show someone's words and they portray sarcasm.)
                              76f1ece6-3e84-4f1f-9289-8f833b6f9374.jpg
                              The word "rescue" is in quotation marks to show it's not a genuine rescue.

Examples of Quotation Marks Meaning "Not Literally"

Quotation marks can also be used to recognize when a word is not being used in its literal sense. This happens quite often with metaphors, particularly personification (i.e., giving something a human trait). For example:
                              • The waves "know" when you're about to stand up on the board.
                              • (Clearly, waves cannot know things. The quotes are used to convey the idea of "not literally.")

[...]

Don't Use Quotation Marks for Emphasis

If you use quotation marks for emphasis, they might be read as meaning "alleged" or "so-called." For example:
                              • We sell "fresh" fish.

clean (1).jpg
                              "clean"

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I have the VERY bad habit of putting a capital at the beginning of words I want to emphasize. I'm not sure why I do it, and it's mostly unconscious, and part of the head to finger flow. If I'm writing a bullet at work, metrics I am using tend to end up capitalized mid-bullet.
                              • This month's Charge-off went up by 5%. (emphasizing charge-off)
                              • Compared to Last month, Early dq Dropped 5%. (emphasis when typing of last month, early dq, and dropped)
                              Ironically, I rarely catch this until I'm going through the slideshow with someone else, then my eyes pick it up and I grumble. On a forum like this...that second walk through never happens.

Comment

It didn't need a "reference." It was their stated slogan. Don't blame me because you didn't know that.

Comment