Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The "most trusted" news network circling the drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had cable TV from the early 80s until about 2014 or so (not quite sure when I cut the cable). CNN has always been in the most basic channel package. IIRC, Fox only got into the basic package beginning in the late 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I've got basic cable now (I dropped the premium channels) and still get CNN. Back when I first got cable in the late 70s CNN was part of the basic package. Whenever you go into an airport CNN is playing and I doubt very much they're paying for anything other than basic.

And when you read things like this it confirms CNN is on basic cable elsewhere

Fox News also finished as the most-watched basic cable channel during the primetime hours of 8-11 p.m., averaging 2.2 million viewers compared to 1.3 million for No. 2 MSNBC. The lineup of "Tucker Carlson Tonight," "Hannity" and "The Ingraham Angle" outdrew primetime options on MSNBC and CNN combined.

So which TYT broadcast did you get this latest pile of manure from?
      Yeah, whenever I do another round of "cord cutting" research, the problem is that CNN is always included in the basic, but Fox News is in the higher tier.

Once again, Diarrhea boy shows his incredibly lack of knowledge about all things American.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        I had cable TV from the early 80s until about 2014 or so (not quite sure when I cut the cable). CNN has always been in the most basic channel package. IIRC, Fox only got into the basic package beginning in the late 90s.
        "Fox" has been in the basic package, but "Fox News" is often in the more premium tier.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

"Fox" has been in the basic package, but "Fox News" is often in the more premium tier.
          I'm pretty sure Fox News is in the basic package. I guess what isn't anymore is Newsmax. Man, they are making a huge stink about DirecTV cutting them out. I can't help but laugh because cable TV seems so antiquated. It's like arguing about what service should go into a phone booth.

Comment

This is where CNN is headquartered. They were able to keep Fox News out of the market here for a long time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm pretty sure Fox News is in the basic package. I guess what isn't anymore is Newsmax. Man, they are making a huge stink about DirecTV cutting them out. I can't help but laugh because cable TV seems so antiquated. It's like arguing about what service should go into a phone booth.
              I like it that many of the services - Like DirecTV (streaming) - are now on a month-to-month basis, and you don't have to pay for a full year.

Comment

directv.jpg

dish network.jpg

Comment

Cool!!! Thanks.

Comment

I like it that many of the services - Like DirecTV (streaming) - are now on a month-to-month basis, and you don't have to pay for a full year.
                    Dish Network was the last cable setup I had, and they tried to rip me off. They lost a bunch of channels my wife and I watched so I told them I was going to cancel. They claimed I agreed to a 2-year commitment, which I told them was impossible. They were offering a deal at the time with only a 3-month commitment and this was a full year later.

So they sent me a copy of the contract. They had a signature from me for the installation ... and then they copied/pasted my signature 3X on some other forms, one that designated a 2-year commitment! It was laughable. I should have sued them. So when I cancelled, they reported me to credit agencies and sent a collection agency after me. In both cases, I showed them the doctored contract and they backed off. My credit was cleared and the collection agency ran off.

Comment

Dish Network was the last cable setup I had, and they tried to rip me off. They lost a bunch of channels my wife and I watched so I told them I was going to cancel. They claimed I agreed to a 2-year commitment, which I told them was impossible. They were offering a deal at the time with only a 3-month commitment and this was a full year later.

So they sent me a copy of the contract. They had a signature from me for the installation ... and then they copied/pasted my signature 3X on some other forms, one that designated a 2-year commitment! It was laughable. I should have sued them. So when I cancelled, they reported me to credit agencies and sent a collection agency after me. In both cases, I showed them the doctored contract and they backed off. My credit was cleared and the collection agency ran off.
                      Wow - such wonderful ethical business practices!

Comment

Wow - such wonderful ethical business practices!
                        I don't trust any BIG companies anymore. I already whined here ad nauseum about what AT&T did to me. They're all crooks and will rob you if they think they can get away with it.

Comment

That sounds like what Comcast used to do. And why the are now called Xfinity. Their reputation preceded them

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't trust any BIG companies anymore. I already whined here ad nauseum about what AT&T did to me. They're all crooks and will rob you if they think they can get away with it.
                            Their entire financial status is based on subscription numbers and anticipated income stream, so, yeah --- they'll pretty much do anything they can to keep those numbers up, not realizing it's actually driving customers away.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

On what grounds? Surely you aren't saying that the FTC should try to take regulatory action because they don't like what FOX has to say?
                              He's a leftist. Leftists love government authoritarianism, especially using their power to force the correct politics onto the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                I've got basic cable now (I dropped the premium channels) and still get CNN. Back when I first got cable in the late 70s CNN was part of the basic package. Whenever you go into an airport CNN is playing and I doubt very much they're paying for anything other than basic.

And when you read things like this it confirms CNN is on basic cable elsewhere

Fox News also finished as the most-watched basic cable channel during the primetime hours of 8-11 p.m., averaging 2.2 million viewers compared to 1.3 million for No. 2 MSNBC. The lineup of "Tucker Carlson Tonight," "Hannity" and "The Ingraham Angle" outdrew primetime options on MSNBC and CNN combined.

So which TYT broadcast did you get this latest pile of manure from?
                                I remember CNN was on almost every program in every public facility had a television -- hospitals, airports, bus stations, train stations, unemployment offices, etc. It just shows how immensely self-inflicted their demise was.

Comment