Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Haven't We Shot Down Spy Balloon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Perhaps you missed this.
    And in the link provided by your citation:

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-St...arolina-coast/
    The balloon did not pose a military or physical threat. Still its intrusion into American airspace over several days was an unacceptable violation of U.S. sovereignty. The official said Chinese balloons briefly transited the continental United States at least three times during the prior administration.

An official briefing, without naming the person who gave it, so the claim that balloons overflew US territory 3 times during the Trump years seems pretty solid.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      Lloyd Austin

PRC government surveillance balloons transited the continental United States briefly at least three times during the prior administration and once that we know of at the beginning of this administration, but never for this duration of time. We spoke directly with Chinese officials through multiple channels, but rather than address their intrusion into our airspace, the PRC put out an explanation that lacked any credibility.
      Right. Somehow it's still President Trump's fault.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Right. Somehow it's still President Trump's fault.
        I didn't get that from Austin's statement. It may have been an attempt to protect Biden (i.e. "this time it was serious").

Although any sleazebag in D.C. is capable of lying, I'm leaning towards Austin's statement being true. Through Milley's known actions already on the record, something like this could have happened and the DoD didn't inform Trump or his staff.

Comment

Lloyd Austin

PRC government surveillance balloons transited the continental United States briefly at least three times during the prior administration and once that we know of at the beginning of this administration, but never for this duration of time. We spoke directly with Chinese officials through multiple channels, but rather than address their intrusion into our airspace, the PRC put out an explanation that lacked any credibility.
          That quote wasn't actually in Lloyd Austin's statement, though it was in the background briefing that I linked, (and which is linked at the bottom of his statement.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

That quote wasn't actually in Lloyd Austin's statement, though it was in the background briefing that I linked, (and which is linked at the bottom of his statement.)
            Thanks. I mangled that one.

Comment

Why? China has satellites in orbit and can undoubtedly get a good look from there. Balloons? That sounds like something the DPRK might do.
              much easier to listen to communications traffic from a balloon than a satellite. Plus probably can get better photos from 60,000 feet than from hundreds of miles up in space.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                John Ratcliffe, John Bolton (who's no fan of Trump), Mark Esper, Richard Grenell, and Robert O’Brien are all claiming that the Biden admin's anonymous source is straight up lying about the assertion it occurred during Trump's term. Which makes this even more bizarre.
                They're claiming that we only discovered this after old Joe occupied the White House

Information suggesting that Chinese spy balloons traveled over the continental United States during the Trump administration was "discovered after" former President Donald Trump left office, a senior administration official told Fox News.

A defense official on Saturday said Chinese spy balloons briefly traveled over the United States at least three times during the Trump administration.

Trump
                and a number of his top national security and defense officials refuted the claim, telling Fox News Digital that it "never happened."

But on Sunday, a senior administration official told Fox News Digital that "U.S. intelligence, not the Biden administration" assesses that "PRC (People's Republic of China) government surveillance balloons transited the continental U.S. briefly at least three times during the prior administration and once that we know of at the beginning of this administration, but never for this duration of time."

The official told Fox News that "this information was discovered after the [Trump] administration left."

"They went undetected," the official told Fox News Digital.

The official explained that Chinese surveillance balloons are "part of a larger pattern."

I wonder if they "discovered" this in the last week or so.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• The spokesgeneral said they took measures to disable it's ability to gather intel. I assume that means they probably shot some sort of EMP at it to fry the electronics.

“Currently, we assess that this balloon has limited added value from an intelligence collection perspective, but we are taking steps, nevertheless, to protect against foreign intelligence collection of sensitive information,”

But I agree they should have shot it down before it got into our airspace. That they didn't makes us look weak to the Chinese, or incompetent. Maybe we didn't even know about it until someone spotted it over the USA?

I think one reason the Chinese sent it was to gauge our reaction. Biden showed weakness. Even Obama would have shot the thing down over unpopulated land, or before it got to our shores, and then reamed out the Chinese for attempting to invade our airspace.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    They're claiming that we only discovered this after old Joe occupied the White House

Information suggesting that Chinese spy balloons traveled over the continental United States during the Trump administration was "discovered after" former President Donald Trump left office, a senior administration official told Fox News.

A defense official on Saturday said Chinese spy balloons briefly traveled over the United States at least three times during the Trump administration.

Trump
                    and a number of his top national security and defense officials refuted the claim, telling Fox News Digital that it "never happened."

But on Sunday, a senior administration official told Fox News Digital that "U.S. intelligence, not the Biden administration" assesses that "PRC (People's Republic of China) government surveillance balloons transited the continental U.S. briefly at least three times during the prior administration and once that we know of at the beginning of this administration, but never for this duration of time."

The official told Fox News that "this information was discovered after the [Trump] administration left."

The official explained that Chinese surveillance balloons are "part of a larger pattern."

Sounds like tap dancing to me. These Biden officials didn't anticipate such a loud pushback from Trump and his former staff, so they're trying to figure out how to make the lie workable?

I've changed my mind. It sounds like bunk that this ever happened before.

Comment

Entirely possible. Oh look - balloon, has this happened before? Which might have prompted a search of files, with a now known signature of what to look for, to see if it happened before without anyone noticing.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        The spokesgeneral said they took measures to disable it's ability to gather intel. I assume that means they probably shot some sort of EMP at it to fry the electronics.

“Currently, we assess that this balloon has limited added value from an intelligence collection perspective, but we are taking steps, nevertheless, to protect against foreign intelligence collection of sensitive information,”

But I agree they should have shot it down before it got into our airspace. That they didn't makes us look weak to the Chinese, or incompetent. Maybe we didn't even know about it until someone spotted it over the USA?

I think one reason the Chinese sent it was to gauge our reaction. Biden showed weakness. Even Obama would have shot the thing down over unpopulated land, or before it got to our shores, and then reamed out the Chinese for attempting to invade our airspace.
                        I think Obama would have done exactly what Joe did: allow the balloon to complete its mission and then shot it down when it no longer mattered.

Comment

• I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Trump

If "they went undetected" then how do they know about them?

Comment

• balloon.JPG

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

If "they went undetected" then how do they know about them?
                                One possibility was given by tabitito here.

Another possibility is that we have an intelligence source in China that told us about them. (That could even be why we noticed this one.)

Either way, it's likely to be classified, so I wouldn't expect to find out the truth soon. (Unless Republicans make a yuge stink about it, perhaps.)

Comment