Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CRT isn't in schools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Bingo.

And, Social Emotional Learning - I talked to people at the organization that initially produced this, and it was heavily interlaced with Scripture references and Biblical principles.
    In order to sell it to some school districts, they stripped out the Scripture "addresses", but kept the Biblical principles without actually identifying them as such.

From there, SEL has also morphed into bad stuff that doesn't need to be in our schools.
    Exactly...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Republicans like to call any recognition of racism in our culture, or any teaching of black history in the public schools that deals with slavery and racism in america 'Critical Race Theory'.
      Nice try.

https://dayton247now.com/news/local/...uracy-in-media

Ohio school officials discuss circumventing potential CRT ban in undercover video

School district officials in the Dayton, Ohio area can be heard describing on undercover video how they would circumvent a proposed ban on teaching critical race theory circulating through the state legislature.

"There's ways around anything. It all goes back to how you dress the window," Kettering City School District Student Services Supervisor Rick Earley can be heard saying on undercover video.

The investigation from nonprofit watchdog Accuracy in Media (AIM) follows others in the state that have uncovered teachers' willingness to circumvent proposed laws against teaching material that focuses on race, class or privilege.

AIM has also found school officials in other states, which already established CRT teaching bans into law, have also sought to circumvent the prohibition.

During AIM's latest investigation across Dayton-area schools, the watchdog group also came across a district curriculum director from the Bellbrook-Sugarcreek School District admitting if the state's proposed CRT ban goes into effect, they can just change the labels to get around it.

"It's good stuff. It's just, you know, I mean labels are just getting attacked," Betsy Gann, Director of Curriculum at Bellbrook-Sugarcreek schools, can be heard saying on undercover video. "Really, we've always tried to be culturally responsive."

Gann went on to say, according to AIM, that during a professional development day she and other faculty in the district read books, including "White Fragility," which were purchased with school development funds.

"Even though Dayton is a conservative military town, school administrators are more than happy to deceive parents," AIM President Adam Guillette said. "Dayton, Ohio gave us the Wright Brothers, two important figures of history, is seeing history and social studies being overrun with woke theories."

The National Desk (TND) reached out to both the Kettering City School District and the Bellbrook-Sugarcreek School District for comment. TND also inquired with the districts whether any action will be taken in light of AIM's undercover investigation.

No response from either district was received immediately, but if one is obtained following publication, this story will be updated.
      As usual, you can't handle basic facts.

Comment

Some of us kids got in trouble in Sunday School because we sang it ...

"red and yellow, pink and green, they are precious to be seen"
        I learned a version on a missions trip which starts out, "Napalm all...."

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I learned a version on a missions trip which starts out, "Napalm all...."

Yeah, we were very creative with our little Sunday School songs.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Nice try.

https://dayton247now.com/news/local/...uracy-in-media

As usual, you can't handle basic facts.
            A usual, you buy the propaganda hook line and sinker when it's from a conservative source. The entire hoopla about CRT is a massive exaggeration, mostly driven by white supremacist ideals that don't want children taught that racism is bad and that racism has had a huge influence on US history, that it is the primary cause of the resulting inequities that exist between black and white people in America. Thus, what the teachers are most likely wanting to teach is just the very real elements of US history that the Georgia law labels as being derived from or associated with CRT. And so they have to find ways of teaching that real history without triggering absurdities codified into anti-CRT legislation.

And indeed, if you read the text, it is obvious that is exactly what is going on.

"It's good stuff. It's just, you know, I mean labels are just getting attacked,"
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

A usual, you buy the propaganda hook line and sinker when it's from a conservative source.
              Oh, the Iron E!

The entire hoopla about CRT is a massive exaggeration, mostly driven by white supremacist ideals that don't want children taught that racism is bad and that racism has had a huge influence on US history, that it is the primary cause of the resulting inequities that exist between black and white people in America. Thus, what the teachers are most likely wanting to teach is just the very real elements of US history that the Georgia law labels as being derived from or associated with CRT. And so they have to find ways of teaching that real history without triggering absurdities codified into anti-CRT legislation.

And indeed, if you read the text, it is obvious that is exactly what is going on.

"It's good stuff. It's just, you know, I mean labels are just getting attacked,"
              Horse Poop.jpg

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Republicans like to call any recognition of racism in our culture, or any teaching of black history in the public schools that deals with slavery and racism in america 'Critical Race Theory'.
                That's more of a caricature spread by mainstream media than it is a common position actually taken by the majority of conservatives. There are racist Republicans sure, but there are also many racist Democrats too. The complains about CRT are more about stuff like the redefinition of racism so that only white people can be racist which originated in Patricia Bidol's Developing New Perspectives on Race; an innovative multi-media social studies curriculum in race relations for the secondary level, and popularized by Judith Katz's White Awareness. Both of which redefine racism not because they have a good argument as to why that should be, but so they can win ideological arguments. The latter also declares that white people are inherently racist and is rife with the soft bigotry of low expectations towards blacks and what it calls "Third World peoples". There is a great breakdown on these books and more on the YouTube channel PSA Sitch, somebody who would have been seen as firmly left wing just a few years ago and identifies as such. His videos do contain material that breaks some TWeb rules so I won't link to it directly, but if you search for "The Origin of "Only White People Can Be Racist" you should find part one easily enough.

Comment

A usual, you buy the propaganda hook line and sinker when it's from a conservative source. The entire hoopla about CRT is a massive exaggeration, mostly driven by white supremacist ideals that don't want children taught that racism is bad and that racism has had a huge influence on US history, that it is the primary cause of the resulting inequities that exist between black and white people in America. Thus, what the teachers are most likely wanting to teach is just the very real elements of US history that the Georgia law labels as being derived from or associated with CRT. And so they have to find ways of teaching that real history without triggering absurdities codified into anti-CRT legislation.

Jim, stop making ignorant and unfounded assumptions. Which school districts are not teaching about slavery, Jim crow or other racial wrong? Be specific, back up your claim.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

That's more of a caricature spread by mainstream media than it is a common position actually taken by the majority of conservatives. There are racist Republicans sure, but there are also many racist Democrats too. The complains about CRT are more about stuff like the redefinition of racism so that only white people can be racist which originated in Patricia Bidol's Developing New Perspectives on Race; an innovative multi-media social studies curriculum in race relations for the secondary level, and popularized by Judith Katz's White Awareness. Both of which redefine racism not because they have a good argument as to why that should be, but so they can win ideological arguments. The latter also declares that white people are inherently racist and is rife with the soft bigotry of low expectations towards blacks and what it calls "Third World peoples". There is a great breakdown on these books and more on the YouTube channel PSA Sitch, somebody who would have been seen as firmly left wing just a few years ago and identifies as such. His videos do contain material that breaks some TWeb rules so I won't link to it directly, but if you search for "The Origin of "Only White People Can Be Racist" you should find part one easily enough.
                    It seems that Jim is getting his marching orders from Whoopi Goldberg on the View...

Comment

Even in the mid-70's, we had this problem with 'reverse discrimination' due to the emphasis on 'diversity' that got way out of hand.

I, for one, was passed over for a promotion to Sergeant on our police department, even though I qualified 2nd from the top from a dozen candidates where 3 promotions were available. The Safety Director explained that those positions were only open to black, Hispanic and/or female persons.

My best friend was similarly passed up on his fire department for the same reason - 'diversity'. He and several other white firefighters sued for reverse discrimination, and he was awarded a half million dollar judgement by the court.

We have gone from "judged by the content of their character, not the color of their skin" to full bore "it's all about the color of your skin".

Comment

I don't think so. I really don't. I get the issues with 'only white people can be racist', it's one of those more subtle things that can easily be abused, But far bigger than that is a huge and more and more overt racist undercurrent in Republican politics right now. Consider DeSantis. What you may know, but what I do know from having lived there, is that the Panhandle of florida and the more right leaning smaller towns in Florida are some of the most racist whites only sort of enclaves in America right now. And that is a large part of the hard core base who help elect DeSantis, and who he is trying to please with his anti-AP course rheteric. Likewise Georgia, where we saw Ahmed Argury chased down and killed. Absolute bastions of stereotypical back country white racism lives there en mass. And THAT is a lot of what those laws there are all about as well - pleasing that white supremacist backdrop found in their Republican base.
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-03-2023, 09:27 AM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I don't think so. I really don't. I get the issues with 'only white people can be racist', it's one of those more subtle things that can easily be abused, But far bigger than that is a huge and more and more overt racist undercurrent in Republican politics right now. Consider DeSantis. What you may know, but what I do know from having lived there, is that the Panhandle of florida and the more right leaning smaller towns in Florida are some of the most racist whites only sort of enclaves in America right now. And that is a large part of the hard core base who help elect DeSantis, and who he is trying to please with his anti-AP course rheteric. Likewise Georgia, where we saw Ahmed Argury chased down and killed. Absolute bastions of stereotypical back country white racism lives there en mass. And THAT is a lot of what those laws there are all about as well - pleasing that white supremacist backdrop found in their Republican base.
                          wow

Comment

And that is a large part of the hard core base who help elect DeSantis, and who he is trying to please with his anti-AP course rheteric.
                            https://www.news4jax.com/vote-2022/2...r-in-40-years/

The data doesn't support that.

DeSantis wins by largest margin of any Fla. governor in 40 years

... The VoteCast data shows that DeSantis also performed well with Latino voters, who clearly preferred him over Crist. The survey shows 56% chose DeSantis, compared to 43% for DeSantis. (typo, should be Crist)

What’s also notable is the success DeSantis had in Miami-Dade County. This heavily populated and diverse county hasn’t turned red for a Republican candidate for governor since 2002 when Jeb Bush won. Miami-Dade was viewed as a bellwether that could signal a GOP landslide.

DeSantis won sizably across the board and all over the state. The only demographic he didn't win (but only tied) is with women in their 20s. So there is no reason for him to cater only to panhandle voters when the entire state voted heavily for him, and this is after the state had a taste of his conservative policies.
                            Last edited by Ronson; 02-03-2023, 09:35 AM.

Comment

wow
                              Glad to oblige.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

https://www.news4jax.com/vote-2022/2...r-in-40-years/

The data doesn't support that.

DeSantis wins by largest margin of any Fla. governor in 40 years

... The VoteCast data shows that DeSantis also performed well with Latino voters, who clearly preferred him over Crist. The survey shows 56% chose DeSantis, compared to 43% for DeSantis. (typo, should be Crist)

What’s also notable is the success DeSantis had in Miami-Dade County. This heavily populated and diverse county hasn’t turned red for a Republican candidate for governor since 2002 when Jeb Bush won. Miami-Dade was viewed as a bellwether that could signal a GOP landslide.

DeSantis won sizably across the board and all over the state. The only demographic he didn't win (but only tied) is with women in their 20s. So there is no reason for him to cater only to panhandle voters when the entire state voted heavily for him, and this is after the state had a taste of his conservative policies.
                                Yeah, I figured that would be the form of the next denial. But hey - that is why I was talking about his base that helped to elect him, and not all of those who elected him. Nevertheless, that base and that large backdrop of conservative voters a large number of whom harbor some elements of racist conviction, and without whom he could never be elected, is who the AP course pushback is aimed to please.

Comment