Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

EU Gives Green Light for Two Insect Species to Be used for Human Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Spoken like someone who hasn't tried it.
    I had some meat-substitute many years back that was advertised as tasting just like meat. Maybe if it was boiled in a sewer. Over the years they would claim that this or that new recipe tasted even more like the real thing. That was a tacit admission that their earlier product didn't taste like meat, I mean if it did then you would never have to spend decades coming up with new formulations trying to get it to taste like what they claimed it already tasted like.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I had some meat-substitute many years back that was advertised as tasting just like meat. Maybe if it was boiled in a sewer. Over the years they would claim that this or that new recipe tasted even more like the real thing. That was a tacit admission that their earlier product didn't taste like meat, I mean if it did then you would never have to spend decades coming up with new formulations trying to get it to taste like what they claimed it already tasted like.

If science ever does create a meat substitute that tastes like meat, then those future generations won't even know what real meat tastes like for comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post

If science ever does create a meat substitute that tastes like meat, then those future generations won't even know what real meat tastes like for comparison.
        And, somewhere along that time line, the phrase "it tastes like chicken" will be a great puzzlement.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, as I suspected, you are talking about something you haven't tried.

Today several (Impossible especially) taste like meat to the point that I've tricked people who are the sort that eat meat at every meal (and to the point where I've wondered if the restaurant screwed up and gave me real meat) and consider themselves meat connoisseurs. There have even been contests where there are blind taste tests, and vegan alternatives won (Burgers, chili, etc.).

Comment

It already has.

Not to mention the breakthroughs going on with lab grown meat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And, somewhere along that time line, the phrase "it tastes like chicken" will be a great puzzlement.
              It will definitely take on new meaning.

Comment

• Will future generations be at any great loss if their diet does not include meat?

Comment

• Because in this futuristic scenario, there will be different people, not us. No one will even know what meat tastes like so why does it matter if some future population doesn't have meat in their diets?

Please do not take away my filet mignon, however. I have experienced it and can remember it well, and will most likely have another in the coming weeks, months.

Comment

Will future generations be at any great loss if their diet does not include meat?
                    The issue is not eating insects or not ever eating meat per se, the issue is that these people are quite openly admitting to social engineering.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

The issue is not eating insects or not ever eating meat per se, the issue is that these people are quite openly admitting to social engineering.
                      Erry body doing that.

Comment

Yeah, as I suspected, you are talking about something you haven't tried.
                        How you somehow managed to get that out of

I had some meat-substitute many years back that was advertised as tasting just like meat. Maybe if it was boiled in a sewer.

is a mystery.

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                        Today several (Impossible especially) taste like meat to the point that I've tricked people who are the sort that eat meat at every meal (and to the point where I've wondered if the restaurant screwed up and gave me real meat) and consider themselves meat connoisseurs. There have even been contests where there are blind taste tests, and vegan alternatives won (Burgers, chili, etc.).
                        And I've seen people that can identify fake meat on the first bite before they even swallow.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

How you somehow managed to get that out of

I had some meat-substitute many years back that was advertised as tasting just like meat. Maybe if it was boiled in a sewer.

is a mystery.
                          It's not a mystery. You stated you've tried something many years back. Current products are nothing like anything many years back

And I've seen people that can identify fake meat on the first bite before they even swallow.
                          Yeah, no. Maybe those 'many years ago'. but not today with some of the plant based meats out there.

Comment

Will future generations be at any great loss if their diet does not include meat?
                            Nope. Indeed they will likely be far better off, given the very clear carcinogens that meat contains (not to mention the disease issues with farming that leads to things like swine flu, bird flu, etc., all of which can become potential future pandemics)

Comment

Nope. Indeed they will likely be far better off, given the very clear carcinogens that meat contains (not to mention the disease issues with farming that leads to things like swine flu, bird flu, etc., all of which can become potential future pandemics)
                              It's a weird scenario...I'm just thinking of Dune, or even Star Wars, and other futuristic fiction of different civilizations and making guesses at to what it would look like generations from now. It would be really interesting to stick around and find out.

Comment

Because (vegans) don't quit meat because they dislike the taste. We quit it because we don't want an animal raised, tortured, and killed for our taste pleasure. Things like Impossible and Beyond give us that experience we grew up with, without all the murder and cruelty
                                Ok then what about hunting for meat instead? No torture there. Heck even other animals do it.

Comment