Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

EU Gives Green Light for Two Insect Species to Be used for Human Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU Gives Green Light for Two Insect Species to Be used for Human Consumption

I wonder how many insects were on the menus at Davos?

EU Gives Green Light for Two Insect Species to Be used for Human Consumption

The European Union has given the green light for an additional two insect species to be used for human consumption.

The Acheta domesticus, better known as the house cricket, has been approved for human consumption within the European Union, according to documents.

This comes as further approval for the sale and consumption of the larval form of Alphitobius diaperionus, or mealworm, will be given the green light for human consumption in the form of powder, frozen, paste, and dried.

The news comes amid the latest push by the European Union to normalize eating bugs, with many organizations pushing insects as a food item to help fight climate change.

According to a press release from the EU, it says while it is “up to consumers to decide whether they want to eat insects or not,” the bug-based food can serve as an “alternate source of protein,” with the bloc emphasizing that bugs are already eaten in other parts of the world.

https://www.dailyfetched.com/great-r...consumption-2/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Waiting for chocolate covered ants.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Easy answer: Zero.

And from the article:

According to a press release from the EU, it says while it is “up to consumers to decide whether they want to eat insects or not...”

I have a feeling it's not going to be optional for long.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

And from the article:

According to a press release from the EU, it says while it is “up to consumers to decide whether they want to eat insects or not...”

Yep...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I had those years ago not bad - taste like chicken!

Comment

And from the article:

It'll start with an increase in the percentage of the amount of insects being allowable in your food. Then with hybrids likely with 10% bugs, 90% meat (kind of like with ethanol and gas). Then the tofu-bug replacement.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And from the article:

I'd give it five years, at most, before meat prices due to environmental taxes, which New Zealand is already considering, will force people to "choose" insect food.

Of course, our resident Kiwi will either remain absent from this thread or be fully supportive.
              Last edited by Diogenes; 01-25-2023, 11:25 AM.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Only two of the hundreds consumed in China for thousands of years. I eaten a number of different insects while living in China. Silk moth chrysalis is my favorite, but others are OK.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Only two of the hundreds consumed in China for thousands of years. I eaten a number of different insects while living in China. Silk moth chrysalis is my favorite, but others are OK.
                  Well China has always dealt with wide spread starvation, we are not...

Comment

Well China has always dealt with wide spread starvation, we are not...
                    Not yet. But America has had it extremely good for a very time. I think our time may be about due.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Not yet. But America has had it extremely good for a very time. I think our time may be about due.
                      Well if the left has its way...

Comment

Well if the left has its way...
                        It's bigger than that, and also involves geopolitical matters. BRIC countries (as well as the Saudis) have been positioning themselves away from the dollar and petrodollar. In the meantime, our spending has skyrocketed to insane levels (and that's both a right and left thing), with the Fed tightening into a recession. There are a lot of moving parts occurring at once than just politics.

Comment

Waiting for the environmentalists to cry about the insect shortage and how we are destroying our planet by making bugs go extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Maybe a chocolate covered queen bee for Valentine's Day.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

They want us eating crickets.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment